IDEA.c and Win32 builds?

Hi All,
Couldn't see this on this or the DEV list as asked recently so throwing
it into the ring - Now that Idea is out of patent in most countries, is
there a build with it compiled in already for Win32, or failing that,
instructions to get 2.0.19 built and usable, on Win32, with Idea compiled
in?

wk at gnupg

Re: IDEA.c and Win32 builds? [In reply to]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:27, davehowe.cryptouser [at] gmail said:

> instructions to get 2.0.19 built and usable, on Win32, with Idea compiled

If you use the latest Libgcrypt development version (git master) you
would have IDEA support. However, I strongly discourage the use of IDEA
because it is an old 64 bit blocksize cipher with no advantages compared
to modern algorithms. The only plausible reason to use IDEA is to allow
decryption of old PGP encrypted data.

We may eventually provide a gpg4win installer with some IDEA support.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

rjh at sixdemonbag

Re: IDEA.c and Win32 builds? [In reply to]

On 4/16/12 11:10 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> However, I strongly discourage the use of IDEA because it is an old
> 64 bit blocksize cipher with no advantages compared to modern
> algorithms. The only plausible reason to use IDEA is to allow
> decryption of old PGP encrypted data.

There are substantial disadvantages, too. IDEA has a razor-thin margin
of security compared to more modern algorithms. We have
better-than-brute-force against what, 5 of 8 rounds now? The margin
gets thinner and thinner every couple of years.