Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: users

GPG Decryption fails for files > 1MB

GnuPG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

david.vazquez_landa at ecb

GPG Decryption fails for files > 1MB

Hello list,

We have an issue with one of our users. When he sends encrypted messages larger than ~1 MB, we get these errors:

8218 - PGP decryption error - gpg: encrypted with RSA key, ID CD5AA2E4

gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID B44D925D, created 2006-03-29

"Mehdi Rahman <mr [at] bvdep>"

gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID 4E9BF326, created 2010-03-16

"Mehdi Rahman <Mehdi.Rahman [at] bvdinfo>"

gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG-E key, ID 044C8E09, created 2008-04-04

"EXDI_STC (EXDI PGP key for STC) <exdidata.stats [at] ecb>"

gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=27)

gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=0d)

gpg: mdc_packet with invalid encoding

gpg: decryption failed: invalid packet

gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=0a)

gpg: block_filter: pending bytes!

gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

This is the output of gpg.exe –version:

$ /cygdrive/d/GNU/GnuPG/gpg.exe --version

gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.8

Home: C:/Users/sa_vazqula/AppData/Roaming/gnupg

Supported algorithms:

Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA

Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH

Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

And we run it on a Windows 2008 – 64 Bit VM.

Is this a gnupg bug?

Best Regards,

David Vázquez

EDEN Team

__________________

Tel. (+49) 69 1344 7029

Mail. david.vazquez-landa [at] ecb <mailto:david.vazquez-landa [at] ecb>

Any e-mail message from the European Central Bank (ECB) is sent in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by the ECB except where provided for in a written agreement. This e-mail is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination, either in whole or in part, is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately via e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.

wk at gnupg

Re: GPG Decryption fails for files > 1MB [In reply to]

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:49, david.vazquez_landa [at] ecb said:

> We have an issue with one of our users. When he sends encrypted messages larger than ~1 MB, we get these errors:

> gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=0d)
>

> gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=0a)

This might indicate a problem in your file transfer - make sure data is
not modified; i.e. the channel is 8 bit clean). As a quick test you may
add the option --armor to the encryption command - this makes the
message larger but it will be plain ASCII.

> $ /cygdrive/d/GNU/GnuPG/gpg.exe --version
>
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.8

I don't know whether you use a version of GPG build for Cygwin - I
suggest to use a native Windows version of GnuPG - and well; update to
a more recent version <ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/gnupg-w32ci-1.4.12.exe>

> Is this a gnupg bug?

I doubt that. If you need support, you may want to checkout the service
directory at gnupg.org.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

david.vazquez_landa at ecb

RE: GPG Decryption fails for files > 1MB [In reply to]

Hello Werner,

The files sent to us are already encoded using --armor. Funnily enough, only files larger than 1MB fail. Anything smaller can be decrypted without problems.

Anyway, thanks for the hint.

Best Regards,

David Vázquez
EDEN Team