Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: users

How to check an exported key's fingerprint

GnuPG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

MichaelQuigley at TheWay

How to check an exported key's fingerprint

Hello,

Using GnuPG 1.4.11 is there a way to check the fingerprint of a public key
before importing it to the keyring? The key was exported using the
--armor option. i.e., The file I have is named exported-key.asc

Also where would I find the instructions for this in the documentation?
(So I won't need to ask again.) The documentation I've located is either
for GnuPG 2 or rather sketchy.

Thanks,
Michael

wk at gnupg

Re: How to check an exported key's fingerprint [In reply to]

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 15:13, MichaelQuigley [at] TheWay said:

> Using GnuPG 1.4.11 is there a way to check the fingerprint of a public key
> before importing it to the keyring? The key was exported using the

There is no such option. However, you may use

gpg --with-fingerprint FILE

to show the content of a file. If you use

gpg --with-fingerprint --with-colons FILE

you get the output in a machine readable format.

> (So I won't need to ask again.) The documentation I've located is either
> for GnuPG 2 or rather sketchy.

man gpg

But anyway, the gpg and gpg2 are almost identical from the user
interface.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner