Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: users

Please help!

GnuPG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sonofbelial at gmail

Mar 6, 2012, 5:03 PM

Please help!

Hi folks,

I wonder if any of you can help with this problem
(http://www.mozilla-enigmail.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=838&p=3409)
on Enigmail? I'd appreciate it and promise I'll post any solutions into
that forum thread!

Many thanks in advance,

Alastair Langwell
Key: E2F6 3C0F 21BB 5DEB 32BF AC52 CA72 33EC 302F 21A8

rjh at sixdemonbag

Mar 6, 2012, 7:37 PM

Re: Please help! [In reply to]

On 3/6/12 8:03 PM, Alastair Langwell wrote:
> I wonder if any of you can help with this problem on Enigmail?

Contrary to your statement on the forum post, it is almost definitely
*not* an Enigmail issue. This is a straightforward permissions issue.
Somehow you managed to chown everything in $HOME/.gnupg to root instead
of your normal user, and that's borking everything up.

Fix the permissions and this will go away.

reid.thompson at ateb

Mar 6, 2012, 7:47 PM

Re: Please help! [In reply to]

On 3/6/2012 8:03 PM, Alastair Langwell wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I wonder if any of you can help with this problem
> (http://www.mozilla-enigmail.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=838&p=3409)
> on Enigmail? I'd appreciate it and promise I'll post any solutions into
> that forum thread!
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Alastair Langwell
> Key: E2F6 3C0F 21BB 5DEB 32BF AC52 CA72 33EC 302F 21A8

|~/.gnupg/ and all the files it contains are owned by root -- they
should be owned by you

chown the directory and it's contents to be you and your primary group

sonofbelial at gmail

Mar 7, 2012, 12:19 AM

Re: Please help! (Alastair Langwell) [In reply to]

Thanks to you and Robert for getting back to me. However this
unfortunately didn't solve the problem. I ran:

chown alastair:alastair ~/.gnupg/

and

chown alastair:alastair ~/.gnupg/*

Then I tried root:alastair and alastair:root but still no go.

Any other ideas? In the meantime, I'll try and chown each file in
~/.gnupg individually and see if that changes anything.

Incidentally, when I chown'ed everything in the folder, gnupg gave a
warning when I ran it in the terminal:

WARNING: unsafe ownership on configuration file
`/home/alastair/.gnupg/gpg.conf'

Thanks in advance for helping me solve this.

Best,
Alastair

Reid Thompson wrote:
> On 3/6/2012 8:03 PM, Alastair Langwell wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I wonder if any of you can help with this problem
>> (http://www.mozilla-enigmail.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=838&p=3409)
>> on Enigmail? I'd appreciate it and promise I'll post any solutions into
>> that forum thread!
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Alastair Langwell
>> Key: E2F6 3C0F 21BB 5DEB 32BF AC52 CA72 33EC 302F 21A8

> |~/.gnupg/ and all the files it contains are owned by root -- they
> should be owned by you
>
> chown the directory and it's contents to be you and your primary group

peter at digitalbrains

Mar 7, 2012, 3:26 AM

Re: Please help! (Alastair Langwell) [In reply to]

On 07/03/12 09:19, Alastair Langwell wrote:
> Thanks to you and Robert for getting back to me. However this
> unfortunately didn't solve the problem. I ran:
>
> chown alastair:alastair ~/.gnupg/
>
> and
>
> chown alastair:alastair ~/.gnupg/*
>
> Then I tried root:alastair and alastair:root but still no go.

Define "no go". What are the actual error messages when you chown? And also, do
you use root to chown? Because you need to.

Finally, you don't have execute set in the permissions for the directory. I can
only imagine this is also by accident, and it should be set. "Execute" on a
directory means the right to descend into that directory. Now only root can get
into the directory (because root can do whatever he likes, not because of how
the permissions are set).

For reference, here's a redacted version of my directory:

peter [at] twee:~$ ll -a .gnupg
total 7672
drwx------ 3 peter peter 4096 Mar 7 12:14 .
drwxr-xr-x 121 peter peter 12288 Mar 7 11:15 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 peter peter 19 Nov 29 2009 gpg-agent.conf
-rw------- 1 peter peter 183 Jan 31 14:13 gpg.conf
drwx------ 2 peter peter 4096 Dec 8 2009 private-keys-v1.d
-rw------- 1 peter peter 3870766 Feb 17 10:31 pubring.gpg
-rw------- 1 peter peter 3870766 Feb 17 10:31 pubring.gpg~
-rw-r--r-- 1 peter peter 15 Dec 18 2009 scdaemon.conf
-rw------- 1 peter peter 11282 Feb 7 13:03 secring.gpg
-rw------- 1 peter peter 9840 Feb 17 10:31 trustdb.gpg

Particularly note the drwx------ on the directory itself.

Peter.