Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: users

How to use a GnuPG card on multiple computers?

GnuPG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

urs.hunkeler at epfl

Oct 11, 2011, 12:37 AM

How to use a GnuPG card on multiple computers?

Hi,

How can I use a GnuPG card on multiple computers?

My understanding is that when I let the card generate the keys, a stub
for each key pair is automatically added to my keyring and instructs gpg
to use the card to encrypt my messages. How can I add such stubs to my
keyring on a different computer to point to existing keys on my card
without having to regenerate the keys (which would render the card
unusable for the first computer)?

Thanks,
Urs

wk at gnupg

Oct 11, 2011, 2:03 AM

Re: How to use a GnuPG card on multiple computers? [In reply to]

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:37, urs.hunkeler [at] epfl said:

> gpg to use the card to encrypt my messages. How can I add such stubs
> to my keyring on a different computer to point to existing keys on my
> card without having to regenerate the keys (which would render the

You insert the card on that other box and enter

$ gpg2 --card-edit

this creates the stub. To retrieve the public key you may now enter:

gpg/card> fetch

this uses the URL field of the card to retrieve the key.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

urs.hunkeler at epfl

Oct 11, 2011, 2:50 AM

Re: How to use a GnuPG card on multiple computers? [In reply to]

Hi Werner,

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Urs