Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: users

GPG on Windows 7?

 

 

GnuPG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


bo.berglund at gmail

Nov 16, 2010, 10:33 PM

Post #1 of 24 (11679 views)
Permalink
GPG on Windows 7?

Is it possible to use GPG on Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)?
We have kept using Gpg4Win 1.1.4 for some time since when we tried the
version 2.0.0 it killed certain functions on our PC:s (I think for
instance Outlook went haywire).
But now our IT person says GPG does not work on Windows 7, so what is
the final verdict here?

We use GPGee for encrypting files since we cannot use Outlook email
encryption, so we need this to work in the Explorer for Windows 7 too.

Or is there a new version that can handle the Outlook emails
properly? Note: we do not want to change into only using plain text
emails.


--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


shavital at mac

Nov 17, 2010, 1:37 AM

Post #2 of 24 (11607 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

Bo Berglund wrote the following on 11/17/10 1:33 AM:
> Is it possible to use GPG on Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)?

I am running Gpg4win 2.0.4 on a desktop Acer Inspire, under Windows 7
Home Premium 64bits.

For test only. I am a Macintosh user, the Acer (incredible machine) is a
present from the family.

> We have kept using Gpg4Win 1.1.4 for some time since when we tried the
> version 2.0.0 it killed certain functions on our PC:s (I think for
> instance Outlook went haywire).

Outlook (Office 2007) recognizes gpg 2.0.14, but the interaction, IMO,
is unreliable.

For an example, Outlook strips in-line signed messages of what it calls
"extra line-returns" (?), therefore invalidating the signature.

Encrypted and signed messages are processed correctly.

I have still to text interaction with Thunderbird+Enigmail.

> But now our IT person says GPG does not work on Windows 7, so what is
> the final verdict here?

I am far, far from being an IT person. I am just an empirical end-user
>
> We use GPGee for encrypting files since we cannot use Outlook email
> encryption, so we need this to work in the Explorer for Windows 7 too.
>
> Or is there a new version that can handle the Outlook emails
> properly? Note: we do not want to change into only using plain text
> emails.


Generally speaking, if you want to use *also* HTML emails with
encryption, you are headed for trouble, but that's your choice.

If I get more meaningful results of my tests, I shall update you.

Best regards,
Charly
MacOS 10.6.5-MacBook Intel C2Duo 2GHz-GnuPG 1.4.11-MacGPG 2.0.16
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.12)
Gecko/20101027 Thunderbird/3.1.6 - Running Enigmail version 1.1.2
(20100629-1412)



_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


rjh at sixdemonbag

Nov 17, 2010, 5:34 AM

Post #3 of 24 (11596 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

On 11/17/2010 1:33 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> Is it possible to use GPG on Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)?

Given this message is composed and signed on a Win7/64 box, the answer
is "yes."

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iFYEAREIAAYFAkzj2c0ACgkQI4Br5da5jhDLYQDfX+jhzxYw8t9+3/JsadrWrSQ6
l6CI/KRP2QZ/KgDfeG33kjySJje15j1AaIipqeSOwYg3W7Uy6AbijQ==
=p+HE
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


gnupg.user at seibercom

Nov 17, 2010, 5:45 AM

Post #4 of 24 (11624 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 04:37:32 -0500
Charly Avital <shavital [at] mac> articulated:

> Bo Berglund wrote the following on 11/17/10 1:33 AM:
> > Is it possible to use GPG on Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)?
>
> I am running Gpg4win 2.0.4 on a desktop Acer Inspire, under Windows 7
> Home Premium 64bits.
>
> For test only. I am a Macintosh user, the Acer (incredible machine)
> is a present from the family.
>
> > We have kept using Gpg4Win 1.1.4 for some time since when we tried
> > the version 2.0.0 it killed certain functions on our PC:s (I think
> > for instance Outlook went haywire).
>
> Outlook (Office 2007) recognizes gpg 2.0.14, but the interaction, IMO,
> is unreliable.
>
> For an example, Outlook strips in-line signed messages of what it
> calls "extra line-returns" (?), therefore invalidating the signature.

PGP in-line is deprecated anyway. Personally, it is a distraction when
I have to strip that crap out of messages when replying. Worse, it
invalidates "sig-delimiters". I would call this a _welcome_ feature
from Outlook. In any case, Outlook 2007 is deprecated also. Comparing a
nearly four year old version is counter productive. Update to the 2010
version and see if your problems still exist.

> Encrypted and signed messages are processed correctly.
>
> I have still to text interaction with Thunderbird+Enigmail.
>
> > But now our IT person says GPG does not work on Windows 7, so what
> > is the final verdict here?

Windows 7 (32) or (64) bit? I have heard of problems with GPG not
working correctly with the 64 bit system due to problems with the GPG
libraries not being true 64 bit.

> I am far, far from being an IT person. I am just an empirical end-user
> >
> > We use GPGee for encrypting files since we cannot use Outlook email
> > encryption, so we need this to work in the Explorer for Windows 7
> > too.

Why?

--
Jerry ✌
GNUPG.user [at] seibercom
_____________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
Please do not ignore the Reply-To header.

Si la vitesse de la lumière est 186,000 miles par seconde, quelle est la vitesse du noir?
Attachments: signature.asc (0.48 KB)


shavital at mac

Nov 17, 2010, 8:15 AM

Post #5 of 24 (11621 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

Jerry wrote the following on 11/17/10 8:45 AM:
> PGP in-line is deprecated anyway.

Interesting. Can you please document? Thanks.

> Personally, it is a distraction when
> I have to strip that crap out of messages when replying.

I don't mind.
> Worse, it
> invalidates "sig-delimiters". I would call this a _welcome_ feature
> from Outlook.

Also interesting.
> In any case, Outlook 2007 is deprecated also. Comparing a
> nearly four year old version is counter productive. Update to the 2010
> version and see if your problems still exist.

I have no intention to update Outlook because I don't intend to use it
for practical purposes, but thanks for the advice.

>
> Windows 7 (32) or (64) bit? I have heard of problems with GPG not
> working correctly with the 64 bit system due to problems with the GPG
> libraries not being true 64 bit.

That's probably the cause.

>>> We use GPGee for encrypting files since we cannot use Outlook email
>>> encryption, so we need this to work in the Explorer for Windows 7
>>> too.
>
> Why?

This question should be answered by bo.berglund [at] gmail

Regards,
Charly


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


rjh at sixdemonbag

Nov 17, 2010, 8:46 AM

Post #6 of 24 (11598 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On 11/17/2010 11:15 AM, Charly Avital wrote:
> Interesting. Can you please document? Thanks.

As near as I can tell, there is no basis for the claim "inline PGP is
deprecated."

It is deprecated in the minds of some people, but that's not the same as
it being deprecated. RFC3156 (which most people cite when talking about
inline PGP being deprecated) has been out of date for quite some time
and is not all that compatible with RFC4880.

For instance, from RFC3156, "OpenPGP signed data":


"Currently defined values are 'pgp-md5', 'pgp-sha1',
'pgp-ripemd160', 'pgp-md2', 'pgp-tiger192', and
'pgp-haval-5-160'."


Strict RFC3156 conformance means the only two GnuPG hashes you can use
are SHA-1 and RIPEMD-160, neither of which has strong long-term
prospects. This, alone, should be enough for us to say RFC3156 should
not be considered normative of PGP usage.

Speaking only for myself, I consider RFC4880 normative, and RFC3156
obsolescent.



>From the original poster:
>> In any case, Outlook 2007 is deprecated also.

It most definitely is /not/ deprecated. According to Microsoft [1], it
will not enter end-of-life until 2012.

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=11&y=10&p1=11335

>> Windows 7 (32) or (64) bit? I have heard of problems with GPG not
>> working correctly with the 64 bit system due to problems with the GPG
>> libraries not being true 64 bit.

Never seen it happen myself, and I find it unlikely. Win 7/64 offers a
complete set of 32-bit libraries.

_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


avi.wiki at gmail

Nov 17, 2010, 8:56 AM

Post #7 of 24 (11608 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

I use GPGshell and GnuPG 1.4.11 on Windows, and it works fine
for me.

- --Avi

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (MingW32) - GPGshell v3.76
Comment: Most recent key: Click show in box @ http://is.gd/4xJrs

iF4EAREKAAYFAkzkCR4ACgkQDWKwGfgOKfkpwgEAjPOJE7kr3rgsVDZLcGHrTmoZ
7HBvNwNq6HtPlWvJcSkA/R+34vbUnE7T1e/a7s6Z1LY700StBPYB2B7zD6hTxzeE
=dULD
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

----
User:Avraham

pub 3072D/F80E29F9 1/30/2009 Avi (Wikimedia-related key) <avi.wiki [at] gmail
>
Primary key fingerprint: 167C 063F 7981 A1F6 71EC ABAA 0D62 B019 F80E
29F9


---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Bo Berglund <bo.berglund [at] gmail>
> To: gnupg-users [at] gnupg
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 07:33:25 +0100
> Subject: GPG on Windows 7?
> Is it possible to use GPG on Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)?
> We have kept using Gpg4Win 1.1.4 for some time since when we tried the
> version 2.0.0 it killed certain functions on our PC:s (I think for
> instance Outlook went haywire).
> But now our IT person says GPG does not work on Windows 7, so what is
> the final verdict here?
>
> We use GPGee for encrypting files since we cannot use Outlook email
> encryption, so we need this to work in the Explorer for Windows 7 too.
>
> Or is there a new version that can handle the Outlook emails
> properly? Note: we do not want to change into only using plain text
> emails.
>
>
> --
> Bo Berglund
> Developer in Sweden
>


gnupg.user at seibercom

Nov 17, 2010, 9:26 AM

Post #8 of 24 (11592 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:15:06 -0500
Charly Avital <shavital [at] mac> articulated:

> Jerry wrote the following on 11/17/10 8:45 AM:
> > PGP in-line is deprecated anyway.
>
> Interesting. Can you please document? Thanks.

A simple Google: "in-line PGP deprecated" will turn up numerous hits.
You also might want to see: Use PGP/MIME, aka RFC 3156

> > In any case, Outlook 2007 is deprecated also. Comparing a
> > nearly four year old version is counter productive. Update to the
> > 2010 version and see if your problems still exist.
>
> I have no intention to update Outlook because I don't intend to use it
> for practical purposes, but thanks for the advice.

If you have no practical use for it then why bother inquiring? You
either use it or you don't. There is no such thing as "slightly
pregnant". If you are going to use it, then use an updated version or
don't complain. If I were to use an antiquated version of GnuPG and
experienced problems, what do you think might be the first thing I
would be advised to do?

> This question should be answered by bo.berglund [at] gmail

If you could not answer the question then why mention it in your
original post?

--
Jerry ✌
GNUPG.user [at] seibercom
_____________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
Please do not ignore the Reply-To header.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.48 KB)


sonjamichelle at gmail

Nov 17, 2010, 9:58 AM

Post #9 of 24 (11596 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I've been using GPG4Win (current version I have is v2.0.14) on Windows 7
64bit for a year now with no issues from the OS.

Outlook 2007 was a different story though. None of the plugins out there
ran quite right without issues and crashing. I'm not a programmer so I
can't say if it was Outlook's fault or the plugin's fault. I switched to
Thunderbird with Enigmail about 8 months ago and have no issues with
email signing or encrypting.

As for the explorer shell, 64 bit does not allow encrypting from the
context menu. I encrypt/sign files from either the command line or
through Kleopatra or through GPA's file manager.

___________________________________________________
Sonja Michelle Lina Thomas
sonjamichelle [at] gmail

"I realized fear one morning, when the blare of the fox-hunters sound.
When they are all chasing after the poor bloody fox, it's safer to be
dressed like a hound."


On 11/17/2010 0:33, Bo Berglund wrote:
> Is it possible to use GPG on Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)?
> We have kept using Gpg4Win 1.1.4 for some time since when we tried the
> version 2.0.0 it killed certain functions on our PC:s (I think for
> instance Outlook went haywire).
> But now our IT person says GPG does not work on Windows 7, so what is
> the final verdict here?
>
> We use GPGee for encrypting files since we cannot use Outlook email
> encryption, so we need this to work in the Explorer for Windows 7 too.
>
> Or is there a new version that can handle the Outlook emails
> properly? Note: we do not want to change into only using plain text
> emails.
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.14 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJM5Be/AAoJEGJQ84dhuhIJIvQH/1jzbFHYlkOcygXwgf2eOoBY
iHufq8PjoLNp4+ELcK6uxvGHHsTykHVtj9pDw4lejgN8l4Y6hThLBomxxFL+0Hvt
wtA6EXe4hM/cxgWGViSAZaEVHWlC7R56peouOAYjh8nPfhUCJDZBQFdm0SHLFBVh
4AR9qxm/QWU+RaBBDkPB4y2PfWDYPVX3YjSVhJbyp9itP0Ol66Wxd3D/l2GM5GhF
V4mDzWXL0fpBbWYNBkDOF6NqkYeg39ZWSRfMHE8m8ZBT1DJXYtGqtw6TJBThgJW0
c8k/bIBj0zDObm7buI8bUxohFiR3No5NO6pQLJ3P12qH2mOOYGhBgsxitDX9zXA=
=WYTV
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


bo.berglund at gmail

Nov 17, 2010, 10:05 AM

Post #10 of 24 (11839 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:45:16 -0500, Jerry <gnupg.user [at] seibercom>
wrote:
>> > We use GPGee for encrypting files since we cannot use Outlook email
>> > encryption, so we need this to work in the Explorer for Windows 7
>> > too.
>
>Why?

Well, GPGee was installed with the GPG4Win 1.1.4 that we use. It makes
it very simple to encrypt files from Windows Explorer.

We essentially do not encrypt email because of the various problems
encountered with Outlook versions. People in the organization use
Office 2003, 2007 and possibly 2010 and it has been such a lot of
problems when we tried to use GPGOL in Outlook so we decided it was
not worth the effort.

Instead we enter the confidential information into files, which are
really documentation of the projects we work on. These files are then
encrypted using GPGee by right-clicking the file in Windows Explorer
and selecting the GPGee encrypt pop-up menu item.

When I posted it was because my co-worker had reported that the IT
person at his end had told him that GPG does not work in Win7.
The PC he had at home was a Win7 whereas the work PC was a WinXP where
the GPG4Win 1.1.4 installed GPGee is working just fine.
He wants to get GPG also on his Win7 PC so he can process the files
also at home.
I have to ask him if he runs the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Win7.

Today I have googled the problem a bit more and found:
1) GPGee seems to have died so there is no new version
2) It is replaced in GPG4Win by GPGEx (explorer extension)
3) GPGEx does not work on Win7 X64 because Microsoft requires pop-up
plugins to Explorer to use 64 bit DLL:s and GPGEx is a 32 bit DLL...


--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


bo.berglund at gmail

Nov 17, 2010, 10:06 AM

Post #11 of 24 (11601 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:56:11 -0500, Avi <avi.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Hash: SHA512
>
>I use GPGshell and GnuPG 1.4.11 on Windows, and it works fine
>for me.
>

Is GPGShell working in a similar way to GPGee? With a right-click menu
integration in Windows Explorer?


--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


j-001 at ottosson

Nov 17, 2010, 10:27 AM

Post #12 of 24 (11600 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On 17 Nov 2010 at 11:46, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> It is deprecated in the minds of some people, but that's not the same as
> it being deprecated. RFC3156 (which most people cite when talking about
> inline PGP being deprecated) has been out of date for quite some time and
> is not all that compatible with RFC4880.
>
> For instance, from RFC3156, "OpenPGP signed data":
>
>
> "Currently defined values are 'pgp-md5', 'pgp-sha1',
> 'pgp-ripemd160', 'pgp-md2', 'pgp-tiger192', and
> 'pgp-haval-5-160'."
>
>
> Strict RFC3156 conformance means the only two GnuPG hashes you can use are
> SHA-1 and RIPEMD-160, neither of which has strong long-term prospects.
> This, alone, should be enough for us to say RFC3156 should not be
> considered normative of PGP usage.
>
> Speaking only for myself, I consider RFC4880 normative, and RFC3156
> obsolescent.

You are indeed not only speaking for yourself on this matter.

/J



_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


shavital at mac

Nov 17, 2010, 10:43 AM

Post #13 of 24 (11599 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

Jerry wrote the following on 11/17/10 12:26 PM:

> A simple Google: "in-line PGP deprecated" will turn up numerous hits.
> You also might want to see: Use PGP/MIME, aka RFC 3156

May I refer you to rjh [at] sixdemonbag's post on the matter?

>>> In any case, Outlook 2007 is deprecated also. Comparing a
>>> nearly four year old version is counter productive. Update to the
>>> 2010 version and see if your problems still exist.

Ditto, please see rjh [at] sixdemonbag comments on this issue.

>> I have no intention to update Outlook because I don't intend to use it
>> for practical purposes, but thanks for the advice.
>
> If you have no practical use for it then why bother inquiring?

I didn't inquire. The inquire was initiated by bo.berglund [at] gmail

> You
> either use it or you don't. There is no such thing as "slightly
> pregnant".

Thank you for this valuable insight.

> If you are going to use it, then use an updated version or
> don't complain.

I didn't complain. I merely informed bo.berglund [at] gmail of how the
application was behaving.

> If I were to use an antiquated version of GnuPG and
> experienced problems, what do you think might be the first thing I
> would be advised to do?

GnuPG 2.0.14 is antiquated? I am sure the gpg4win people will be
interested to know.

>
>> This question should be answered by bo.berglund [at] gmail
>
> If you could not answer the question then why mention it in your
> original post?

I did not mention the question in my post. The matter was reported by
bo.berglund [at] gmail, and he is answering your question in a separate
e-mail.


Finally, I choose to answer appropriately and directly to Jerry
<gnupg.user [at] seibercom>.

Charly

_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


rjh at sixdemonbag

Nov 17, 2010, 11:18 AM

Post #14 of 24 (11605 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On 11/17/2010 12:26 PM, Jerry wrote:
> A simple Google: "in-line PGP deprecated" will turn up numerous hits.

The authoritative sources on the deprecation of inline OpenPGP would be
the IETF working group for OpenPGP, and/or the authors of RFC4880. To
the best of my knowledge neither group has made any statement about this
deprecation: therefore, if you want to claim it is deprecated, you will
need to present statements from either group stating such.

Just because some people on mailing lists that Google crawls say inline
OpenPGP is deprecated doesn't make it so -- any moreso than the fact
9/11 truther mailing lists get crawled by Google mean 9/11 was an inside
job.

> If I were to use an antiquated version of GnuPG and
> experienced problems, what do you think might be the first thing I
> would be advised to do?

Speaking for myself, I would advise you to describe your problem and
what you have tried to resolve it.

Most problems result from user error and/or misconfiguration. Very few
problems require the user upgrade GnuPG. In many instances, upgrading
GnuPG is simply not an option (e.g., enterprise users, or installations
that have to exhaustively test all software before it goes on servers).


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


avi.wiki at gmail

Nov 17, 2010, 11:53 AM

Post #15 of 24 (11609 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

No. It has a program, GPGTray, that sits in the system tray and
can be used to access the interfaces, but it is not integrated
into windows explorer. You can find its website at:
<http://www.jumaros.de/rsoft/index.html>

- --Avi
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (MingW32) - GPGshell v3.76
Comment: Most recent key: Click show in box @ http://is.gd/4xJrs

iF4EAREKAAYFAkzkMpsACgkQDWKwGfgOKfm6FwD/f6NVDszNv8xuKhBFntCHIDl5
RnIKYOylXzqE4Q33p3QA/0IkSQnKlweIgqy0mahcHy3cKfsO/DaRKOTkJbwcpluT
=BjL2
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


From: Bo Berglund <bo.berglund [at] gmail>

> To: gnupg-users [at] gnupg
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 19:06:48 +0100
> Subject: Re: GPG on Windows 7?
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:56:11 -0500, Avi <avi.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> >-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> >Hash: SHA512
> >
> >I use GPGshell and GnuPG 1.4.11 on Windows, and it works fine
> >for me.
> >
>
> Is GPGShell working in a similar way to GPGee? With a right-click menu
> integration in Windows Explorer?
>
>
> --
> Bo Berglund
> Developer in Sweden
>


expires2010 at ymail

Nov 17, 2010, 1:14 PM

Post #16 of 24 (11598 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Hi


On Wednesday 17 November 2010 at 7:53:17 PM, in
<mid:AANLkTikXjd+Dc1JWaTN0DPtKyOupAqyUToNh9MBpJWvg [at] mail>,
Avi wrote:

> No. It has a program, GPGTray, that sits in the system
> tray and can be used to access the interfaces, but it
> is not integrated into windows explorer. You can find
> its website at:
> <http://www.jumaros.de/rsoft/index.html>

By default GPGshell is not integrated into the Windows Explorer
context menu; the option is available but not for 64-bit systems.

- --
Best regards

MFPA mailto:expires2010 [at] ymail

I think not, said Descartes, and promptly disappeared
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQCVAwUBTORFzqipC46tDG5pAQpzIwP/YbAAs6GvhSFpW1uLITXX8x2sqyKfDxCD
bL3JPouc1X9wVngWYztvXS9njLRLz0wNgpd7UOe35ij4Vm1gF/SNzLhAfK6AJKTE
RiA5mCi9Z607h1Y7nQB3Bx57cPNOs/ZJf9IHJm2ENeFyyWShzgRkX3GMLGn4+Jwi
CKSblvhYDTY=
=W2IU
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


bo.berglund at gmail

Nov 17, 2010, 1:27 PM

Post #17 of 24 (11598 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:56:11 -0500, Avi <avi.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Hash: SHA512
>
>I use GPGshell and GnuPG 1.4.11 on Windows, and it works fine
>for me.
>

Thanks for the tip. I will advice the use of this combination to my
collegue. I have downloaded and installed GPGshell 3.76 on my XP PC
and it works just fine together with my GnuPG 1.4.9 installation. :-)
So now I have two context menu items (GPGee and GPGshell).


--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


gnupg.user at seibercom

Nov 17, 2010, 1:46 PM

Post #18 of 24 (11589 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:43:34 -0500
Charly Avital <shavital [at] mac> articulated:

> > If I were to use an antiquated version of GnuPG and
> > experienced problems, what do you think might be the first thing I
> > would be advised to do?
>
> GnuPG 2.0.14 is antiquated? I am sure the gpg4win people will be
> interested to know.

Kindly reread my response above. At no time did I state that the
present version of GnuPG is antiquated. You are the only poster that
seems to have failed to properly comprehend that.

--
Jerry ✌
GNUPG.user [at] seibercom
_____________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
Please do not ignore the Reply-To header.


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


bo.berglund at gmail

Nov 17, 2010, 1:57 PM

Post #19 of 24 (11612 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:14:26 +0000, MFPA <expires2010 [at] ymail>
wrote:
>On Wednesday 17 November 2010 at 7:53:17 PM, in
><mid:AANLkTikXjd+Dc1JWaTN0DPtKyOupAqyUToNh9MBpJWvg [at] mail>,
>Avi wrote:
>
>> No. It has a program, GPGTray, that sits in the system
>> tray and can be used to access the interfaces, but it
>> is not integrated into windows explorer. You can find
>> its website at:
>> <http://www.jumaros.de/rsoft/index.html>
>
>By default GPGshell is not integrated into the Windows Explorer
>context menu; the option is available but not for 64-bit systems.

I downloaded and installed GPGshell 3.76 in my WinXP pro machine and
now I have both GPGee and GPGshell context menus....

But I guess that on W7x64 I would have to use the GPGtools program to
encrypt a file, right?
Or go via the GPGtray program, rightclick the tray icon and select
File/Encrypt.


--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


bo.berglund at gmail

Nov 18, 2010, 4:01 AM

Post #20 of 24 (11600 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:14:26 +0000, MFPA <expires2010 [at] ymail>
wrote:

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Hash: SHA512
>
>Hi
>
>
>On Wednesday 17 November 2010 at 7:53:17 PM, in
><mid:AANLkTikXjd+Dc1JWaTN0DPtKyOupAqyUToNh9MBpJWvg [at] mail>,
>Avi wrote:
>
>> No. It has a program, GPGTray, that sits in the system
>> tray and can be used to access the interfaces, but it
>> is not integrated into windows explorer. You can find
>> its website at:
>> <http://www.jumaros.de/rsoft/index.html>
>
>By default GPGshell is not integrated into the Windows Explorer
>context menu; the option is available but not for 64-bit systems.

Now I have tried to install from scratch on a Win7 X64 PC.
I used these:
- GnuPG 1.4.11 windows client binary
- GPGshell 3.76

I had to manually add the GnuPG install folder to my system path for
GPGshell to work.

After this I could import my keyrings and start using GPG on Win7.
Seems to work for file encryption even though it is a big drawback
that the Explorer shell integration is missing. Now I have every time
to navigate a long way in order to encrypt a file instead of doing it
directly from Windows Explorer.

Now another GPGshell problem:
GPGshell insists on showing all its dialogs in Swedish whereas I want
them to be in English. I tried to find a language configuration dialog
or something but failed.
Is this program really so stupid that it insists on using the language
of my keyboard layout as the dialog language??? I can't belive it, so
I ask if someone here could explain how I can change it?
--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


expires2010 at ymail

Nov 20, 2010, 6:30 AM

Post #21 of 24 (11566 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Hi


On Thursday 18 November 2010 at 12:01:06 PM, in
<mid:hq4ae6tjcj3b5s0q31h0lr4td1h5bkqafd [at] 4ax>, Bo Berglund wrote:


> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:14:26 +0000, MFPA
> <expires2010 [at] ymail> wrote:

> it is a big drawback that the Explorer shell
> integration is missing. Now I have every time to
> navigate a long way in order to encrypt a file instead
> of doing it directly from Windows Explorer.

I find it automatically starts looking in the directory where I last
encrypted a file.

Also, if you have the GPGtools window open, you can drag the file
onto the "encrypt" icon...



> Now another GPGshell problem: GPGshell insists on
> showing all its dialogs in Swedish whereas I want them
> to be in English. I tried to find a language
> configuration dialog or something but failed. Is this
> program really so stupid that it insists on using the
> language of my keyboard layout as the dialog
> language??? I can't belive it, so I ask if someone here
> could explain how I can change it?


In GPGshell's help file, section 3 Usage, paragraph 16 says:-

"Translation-files (*.lng) in the application-directory will set
the <default> language. You can still choose other languages from
the dropdown-box in "Preferences/GPGshell.../Interface", of
course."

In my case <default> is the only choice; I see it all in English and
have no *.lng files present.



- --
Best regards

MFPA mailto:expires2010 [at] ymail

Confusion is always the most honest response
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQCUAwUBTOfbf6ipC46tDG5pAQr65AP3c7OiF0UAJzAwQOeKO3ErxYPayI+jH9WM
MFDO5zgaFbQLWmljuQEhjdbfxx3+Mkk6BwsZcRkhTaKsKwSNaiDFn4wcsCi35OQC
Rp4GRYvCKcg/hP7aliIlLU1vr57lrbaw06MuTIkBmr4tM/xJJWsD8X+s3S1aj+EB
qjajvX9X+Q==
=FQmR
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users


remi.favier at finances

May 2, 2012, 9:04 AM

Post #22 of 24 (8818 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

You posted in 2010 a message on GPG on Windows 7.

As you may now know, GnuPG and WinPT work fine with 32 or 64 bits OSs.

In fact GPGee also works fine on Windows 7 32 bits (except for the HLP file
if you don't have a special add on to use it since Vista).

The only way to use GPGee on Windows 7 64 bits is to add an explorer like
Windows Explorer that is a 32 bits, like QDir (the Windows Explorer 32 bits
seems not to be able to run on Windows 7 64 bits), as GPGee is a dll 32 bits.

Cordialement

Rmi Favier
Ministre du Budget, des Comptes Publics
et de la Rforme de l'Etat


mika.henrik.mainio at hotmail

May 2, 2012, 11:40 AM

Post #23 of 24 (8819 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

02.05.2012 19:04, FAVIER Remi kirjoitti:
> You posted in 2010 a message on GPG on Windows 7.
>
> As you may now know, GnuPG and WinPT work fine with 32 or 64 bits
> OSs.
>
> In fact GPGee also works fine on Windows 7 32 bits (except for the
> HLP file if you don't have a special add on to use it since
> Vista).
>
> The only way to use GPGee on Windows 7 64 bits is to add an
> explorer like Windows Explorer that is a 32 bits, like QDir (the
> Windows Explorer 32 bits seems not to be able to run on Windows 7
> 64 bits), as GPGee is a dll 32 bits.
>
> Cordialement
>
> Rémi Favier Ministère du Budget, des Comptes Publics et de la
> Réforme de l'Etat
>
>
> _______________________________________________ Gnupg-users mailing
> list Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
> http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users

GPG4Win works on Windows 7 too. http://gpg4win.org/

- --
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728
Key fingerprint = 24BC 1573 B8EE D666 D10A AA65 4DB5 3CFE 82A4 6728

I use GPG/INLINE, because some mailing list programs modify the headers
of messages and this way make signature.asc files (PGP/MIME)
unverifiable. Please remove lines about beginning and ending GPG
signature blocks in your replies to messages, which are sent by me.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
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=1O2W
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Attachments: 0x82A46728.asc (5.78 KB)
  0x82A46728.asc.sig (0.53 KB)


wk at gnupg

May 3, 2012, 12:44 AM

Post #24 of 24 (8816 views)
Permalink
Re: GPG on Windows 7? [In reply to]

On Wed, 2 May 2012 20:40, mika.henrik.mainio [at] hotmail said:

> GPG4Win works on Windows 7 too. http://gpg4win.org/

Except for the explorer extension gpgex, which does not work with the 64
bit explorer. We are planning an update, though.


Shalom-Salam,

Werner


--
Die Gedanken sind frei. Ausnahmen regelt ein Bundesgesetz.


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-users mailing list
Gnupg-users [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users

GnuPG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.