Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: users

Automating, passwd command replies, "Need the secret key to do this."

GnuPG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tgagne at wideopenwest

Automating, passwd command replies, "Need the secret key to do this."

Following the instructions for creating a subkey seem
straightforward.<http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/faqs.html#q4.14>,
but I run into a problem after moving secring.auto and the "public
keyring" to a test directory. First, I'm unsure which file(s) is the
"public keyring."

At the end, the instructions say to use the "passwd" command to remove
the passphrase. Did I not copy the right file?

tgagne:/home/tgagne/test ls -ltr
total 8
4 -rw-rw-r-- 1 tgagne users 1232 2008-05-13 15:47 secring.auto
4 -rw------- 1 tgagne users 2409 2008-05-13 15:50 pubring.gpg

gagne:/home/tgagne/test gpg --homedir . --edit load_affinia
gpg: WARNING: unsafe permissions on homedir `.'
gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.4-svn0; Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: keyring `./secring.gpg' created

gpg: ./trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
pub 1024D/FC9B4089 created: 2008-05-13 expires: never usage: SC
trust: unknown validity: unknown
sub 1024D/21AF94BC created: 2008-05-13 expires: never usage: S
[ unknown] (1). load_affinia (Affinia File Transfer Key)
<support [at] instreamfinancial>

Command> passwd
Need the secret key to do this.

--
Visit <http://tggagne.blogspot.com/> for more great reading.

jmoore3rd at bellsouth

Re: Automating, passwd command replies, "Need the secret key to do this." [In reply to]

tgagne at wideopenwest

Re: Automating, passwd command replies, "Need the secret key to do this." [In reply to]

John W. Moore III wrote:

> Thomas Gagné wrote:
>

>> Command> passwd
>> Need the secret key to do this.
>>

> the Command passwd is for changing the passphrase. Of course, it is
> possible to change the passphrase to nothing but first the Secret Key
> needs to be unlocked. Otherwise, anyone could change Your passphrase to
> anything or nothing.
>
> The "Need Secret Key to do this" is the prompt to enter the passphrase
> in order to unlock the Secret Key.

I tried it again. The problem is the response to "passwd" doesn't
appear to be a prompt. It's only a complaint, and the "passwd" command
doesn't seem to take an argument.

--
Visit <http://tggagne.blogspot.com/> for more great reading.

lyngly at ymail

Dec 7, 2008, 11:59 AM

Re: Automating, passwd command replies, "Need the secret key to do this." [In reply to]

Hello, I saw the following thread unanswered and am having the same problem when I try generate revoke keys, adduid and many other commands. I'm never prompted for my secret key, and these commands don't take them as arguments.

> I tried it again. The problem is the response to "passwd" doesn't
> appear to be a prompt. It's only a complaint, and the "passwd" command
> doesn't seem to take an argument.

lyngly at ymail

Dec 8, 2008, 10:03 PM

Re: Automating, passwd command replies, "Need the secret key to do this." [In reply to]

Yes, I do get all the info about my key listed when I enter gpg --edit-key. There doesn't seem to be any issue locating it.

Many other linux users have an idea.
Thanks for your help though!