Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: gpa

S/MIME support in Kmail v1.9.7

 

 

GnuPG gpa RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


daly at ctcnet

Dec 11, 2007, 6:45 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5453 views)
Permalink
S/MIME support in Kmail v1.9.7

All:

I hope this post is appropriate for this list.

I'm having problems getting Kmail to recognize S/MIME support. From
what I've read, it all depends on the installation of GpgME. I have
compiled KDE using Konstruct. During the compilation I was able to see
that GnuPG v2.0.6 was compiled with S/MIME support. Yet, when I go to
configure this in Kmail, I see the following message:

While scanning for SMIME support in backend GpgME:
GPGME was compiled without support for S/MIME.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction? Numerous searches on
Google and the like have turned up empty.

Thanks in advance.
--


_______________________________________________
Gpa-dev mailing list
Gpa-dev [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gpa-dev


john at johnrshannon

Dec 11, 2007, 9:35 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5190 views)
Permalink
Re: S/MIME support in Kmail v1.9.7 [In reply to]

Did you build gpgsm support into gpgme? Its an arg to configure.

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 07:45:31 am daly [at] ctcnet wrote:
> All:
>
> I hope this post is appropriate for this list.
>
> I'm having problems getting Kmail to recognize S/MIME support. From
> what I've read, it all depends on the installation of GpgME. I have
> compiled KDE using Konstruct. During the compilation I was able to see
> that GnuPG v2.0.6 was compiled with S/MIME support. Yet, when I go to
> configure this in Kmail, I see the following message:
>
> While scanning for SMIME support in backend GpgME:
> GPGME was compiled without support for S/MIME.
>
> Can anyone direct me in the right direction? Numerous searches on
> Google and the like have turned up empty.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gpa-dev mailing list
> Gpa-dev [at] gnupg
> http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gpa-dev



--
John R. Shannon, CISSP
Chief Scientist
DSCI, Information Assurance Division
jshannon [at] dsci-usa
john.r.shannon [at] us
shannonjr [at] NetBSD
(208)522-4506

_______________________________________________
Gpa-dev mailing list
Gpa-dev [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gpa-dev


jan-oliver.wagner at intevation

Dec 11, 2007, 12:38 PM

Post #3 of 7 (5184 views)
Permalink
Re: S/MIME support in Kmail v1.9.7 [In reply to]

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 18:35, John R. Shannon wrote:
> Did you build gpgsm support into gpgme? Its an arg to configure.

IIRC, you just need to have gpgsm installed when configuring gpgme.
Then S/MIME support is automatically added to gpgme.

Best

Jan
--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner Intevation GmbH
Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998 http://www.intevation.de/
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

_______________________________________________
Gpa-dev mailing list
Gpa-dev [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gpa-dev


daly at ctcnet

Dec 11, 2007, 12:43 PM

Post #4 of 7 (5186 views)
Permalink
Re: S/MIME support in Kmail v1.9.7 [In reply to]

John R. Shannon wrote:
> Did you build gpgsm support into gpgme? Its an arg to configure.

I do not have special flags as Konstruct determined those for me.

Looking at ./configure --help, I see the following:

--disable-gpgsm do not build the gpgsm program

I would assume that if I do not use that option, gpgsm would be compiled
in? I see no option to explicitly include that support.

I have a gpgsm binary in /opt/kde/3.5.8/bin.

One thing I picked up on that may be causing me issues is:

: riddler 18#; ./gpgme-config --get-gpgsm
no

The binary for gpgme-config is in the same directory as gpgsm, so I'm
not sure why it wouldn't be able to find it.
--

_______________________________________________
Gpa-dev mailing list
Gpa-dev [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gpa-dev


daly at ctcnet

Dec 11, 2007, 2:07 PM

Post #5 of 7 (5184 views)
Permalink
Re: S/MIME support in Kmail v1.9.7 [In reply to]

John R. Shannon wrote:
> gpgme-1.1.4/configure --help
> ...
> --with-gpgsm=PATH use GpgSM binary at PATH
> ...
> --with-gpg=PATH
>
> I had to set both in the port for NetBSD.
>
Yes. That's it. I wasn't looking in gpgme's source. Thank-you for
pointing that one out.

I just recompiled and removed the --without-gpgsm that Konstruct added.

I'm gathering that Konstruct is assuming that the OS provides
gpgme/gpgsm, but in my case, I need to have that compiled.

Thank-you for your help! I can now configure Kmail w/ S/MIME support.
--

_______________________________________________
Gpa-dev mailing list
Gpa-dev [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gpa-dev


daly at ctcnet

Dec 11, 2007, 2:10 PM

Post #6 of 7 (5180 views)
Permalink
Re: S/MIME support in Kmail v1.9.7 [In reply to]

Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 December 2007 18:35, John R. Shannon wrote:
>> Did you build gpgsm support into gpgme? Its an arg to configure.
>
> IIRC, you just need to have gpgsm installed when configuring gpgme.
> Then S/MIME support is automatically added to gpgme.

Yep. Also, since KDE probably is assuming that my OS distributes GPGSM
and GPGME, they add --without-gpgsm in gpgme's Makefile, and
--enable-agent-only in gnupg's Makefile.

My target OS (RHEL 5) does not distribute that (yet), so I need to have
Konstruct compile those two for me.

Thanks for all of the help! I'm all set.

_______________________________________________
Gpa-dev mailing list
Gpa-dev [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gpa-dev


rdieter at math

Dec 12, 2007, 4:55 AM

Post #7 of 7 (5168 views)
Permalink
Re: S/MIME support in Kmail v1.9.7 [In reply to]

Ryan Daly wrote:


> Yep. Also, since KDE probably is assuming that my OS distributes GPGSM
> and GPGME, they add --without-gpgsm in gpgme's Makefile, and
> --enable-agent-only in gnupg's Makefile.
>
> My target OS (RHEL 5) does not distribute that (yet), so I need to have
> Konstruct compile those two for me.

fwiw, gpgme is available in 3rd-party repos, including EPEL:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

-- Rex


_______________________________________________
Gpa-dev mailing list
Gpa-dev [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gpa-dev

GnuPG gpa RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.