Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: gcrypt

AES-NI not detected with i7-980X

GnuPG gcrypt RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

chris.adamson at mcri

Jan 9, 2012, 1:15 AM

AES-NI not detected with i7-980X

Hi List,

I am trying to get gpg2 using AES-NI as I need to backup a LOT of data and would like the extra performance. I have an Intel i7-980X which does support AES-NI according to the cpuinfo (below) and according to Intel's website. I added a printf statement in rijndael.c to check to see if it was using the instructions and found out that AES-NI was not in the hardware capability flag.
Any suggestions?
Chris Adamson.
processor : 11
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 44
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1600.000
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 10
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 21
initial apicid : 21
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 11
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes lahf_lm ida arat epb dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid

Dr Christopher Adamson, PhD (Melb.), B Software Engineering (Hons., Monash)
Research Officer
Developmental and Functional Brain Imaging, Critical Care and Neurosciences

Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
The Royal Children’s Hospital
Flemington Road Parkville Victoria 3052 Australia
T 9345 4306
M XXXX XXX XXX
E chris.adamson [at] mcri
www.mcri.edu.au

wk at gnupg

Jan 9, 2012, 4:46 AM

Re: AES-NI not detected with i7-980X [In reply to]

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 10:15, chris.adamson [at] mcri said:

> I am trying to get gpg2 using AES-NI as I need to backup a LOT of
> data and would like the extra performance. I have an Intel i7-980X
> which does support AE

You need to use at least Libgcrypt 1.5.0 and a 32 bit OS. 64 bit is not
yet supported.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner