Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: gcrypt

Use of libgcrypt in non-OS platforms

GnuPG gcrypt RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

john at johnandjuliet

Jul 27, 2010, 6:34 AM

Use of libgcrypt in non-OS platforms

I am interested in using some of the libgcrypt routines in a non-linux-non-windows system and have two questions that should be fairly easy to answer.
1) It should be simple to build the lib for a non-os application and simply make direct calls to the lib's APIs to use the library simmilar to the way the cmd line does. And I would of course need to provide any external needs (are there callbacks and such for any system type of info? timers, entropy state engine, saving of state for cold start, etc... Or perhaps it is much simpler that that...
2) Though I like the cause of the GNU projects some of my code is not to be given out (purchased) and so if I try to use libg-crypt I realize I would need to somehow follow the GNU license. But I need to do it in a way that does not cause the rest of my code to turn into GNU or break my contract with the other code I am using. So the question is what is the ramifications of using just the lib instead of the entire tool (which would require running linux which I cant do).

dank at kegel

Jul 27, 2010, 8:43 AM

Re: Use of libgcrypt in non-OS platforms [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:34 AM, <john [at] johnandjuliet> wrote:
> 2) Though I like the cause of the GNU projects some of my code is not to be
> given out (purchased) and so if I try to use libg-crypt I realize I would
> need to somehow follow the GNU license.  But I need to do it in a way that
> does not cause the rest of my code to turn into GNU or break my contract
> with the other code I am using.  So the question is what is the
> ramifications of using just the lib instead of the entire tool (which would
> require running linux which I cant do).

That's a tough question, but: the intent of the LGPL is
to allow people to fix bugs in software they use. If you
provide a way for people to replace the libgcrypt
in your system with one that they provide themselves,
that might satisfy the dynamic linking requirement.
But don't trust what I say, I am not a lawyer.
- Dan