Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: devel

gnupg-2.0.19 test failures on GNU/Linux Red Hat 5.8 IA-64 (Itanium)

GnuPG devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

beebe at math

gnupg-2.0.19 test failures on GNU/Linux Red Hat 5.8 IA-64 (Itanium)

I've just made a series of experiments with builds of gnupg-2.0.19 on
Red Hat 5.8 IA-64 (Itanium) with multiple compilers:

cc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-52)

gcc (GCC) 4.1.3 20080630 (prerelease)
gcc (GCC) 4.2.5 20090325 (prerelease)
gcc (GCC) 4.3.0 20071123 (experimental)
gcc (GCC) 4.4.6 20110301 (prerelease)
gcc (GCC) 4.5.3 20110303 (prerelease)
gcc (GCC) 4.6.1 20110429 (prerelease)
gcc (GCC) 4.7.0 20110430 (experimental)

icc (ICC) 9.1 20080314

Only the build with icc passed all of the tests, so I have
installed that one.

Builds typically look like this:

env CC=gcc-4.7 CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include ./configure --libdir=/usr/local/lib && make all check

With the 8 different gcc versions, I get one or two test failures:

cc
3DES FAIL: conventional-mdc.test

gcc-4.1
FAIL: genkey1024.test
3DES FAIL: conventional-mdc.test

gcc-4.2
FAIL: genkey1024.test
FAIL: conventional.test

gcc-4.3
FAIL: conventional.test

gcc-4.4
FAIL: genkey1024.test

gcc-4.5
FAIL: genkey1024.test
FAIL: conventional.test

gcc-4.6
3DES FAIL: conventional-mdc.test

gcc-4.7
FAIL: conventional.tes
3DES FAIL: conventional-mdc.test

Here is one of the log files:

% cat tests/openpgp/conventional-mdc.test.log
Test: conventional-mdc.test
GNUPGHOME=/local/build/cc/gnupg-2.0.19/tests/openpgp
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/gpg-o1ynlU/S.gpg-agent:24658:1
gpg: WARNING: unsafe permissions on homedir `.'
gpg: problem with the agent: Broken pipe

Here are the home directory permissions:

% ls -lFd ~/.
drwxr-xr-x 309 XXXXXX wheel 1434 Apr 5 08:29 /XXXXXX

They look okay to me, and in any event, the tests pass with icc, so
the same test with gcc compilation should not fail either.

The configure script by default chooses -O2 optimization, so in
another experiment with gcc-4.7, I removed the -O2 option from all
Makefiles and rebuilt. Now all of the tests pass!

I also did yet another experiment, replacing -O2 by -O1 everywhere:
that produces two failures:

gcc-4.7 -O1
FAIL: genkey1024.test
FAIL: conventional.test

Perhaps, a small piece of gnupg code is triggering a long-standing gcc
optimizer error for the IA-64 architecture. It would be nice to find
a code workaround that would produce successful passes on this
platform, and, if the code that triggers the error can be reduced to a
simple test case, then there is a chance that the gcc developers can
repair it.

I may also try building some newer gcc-4.x releases, including the new
4.8 series, and then see whether they still cause gnupg test failures.
However, that is a much larger task, and harder as well, because
gcc-4.x snapshot builds generally fail almost everywhere at my site.

Also, in the output

3DES CAST5 BLOWFISH AES AES192 AES256 TWOFISH CAMELLIA128 CAMELLIA192 CAMELLIA256 | PASS: conventional.test
3DES FAIL: conventional-mdc.test

why do the encryption names prefix the PASS/FAIL reports?

In my view, that makes it harder to scan the output for problems. I
sometimes do 100 to 150 different builds of single packages in
multiple O/S and compiler environments, so test-report clarity matters
to me.

I suggest that

PASS: DES CAST5 BLOWFISH AES AES192 AES256 TWOFISH CAMELLIA128 CAMELLIA192 CAMELLIA256 conventional.test
FAIL: 3DES conventional-mdc.test

would be better.

- Nelson H. F. Beebe Tel: +1 801 581 5254 -
- University of Utah FAX: +1 801 581 4148 -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB Internet e-mail: beebe [at] math -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233 beebe [at] acm beebe [at] computer -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/ -

wking at drexel

Re: gnupg-2.0.19 test failures on GNU/Linux Red Hat 5.8 IA-64 (Itanium) [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:46:39AM -0600, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
> why do the encryption names prefix the PASS/FAIL reports?
>
> In my view, that makes it harder to scan the output for problems. I
> sometimes do 100 to 150 different builds of single packages in
> multiple O/S and compiler environments, so test-report clarity matters
> to me.
>
> I suggest that
>
> PASS: DES CAST5 BLOWFISH AES AES192 AES256 TWOFISH CAMELLIA128 CAMELLIA192 CAMELLIA256 conventional.test
> FAIL: 3DES conventional-mdc.test
>
> would be better.

The Git folks have a test suite that print TAP-formatted output [1]:

1..4
ok 1 - Input file opened
not ok 2 - First line of the input valid
ok 3 - Read the rest of the file
not ok 4 - Summarized correctly # TODO Not written yet

If people want to change the test result format, you might as well use
a pre-existing specification ;).

[1]: http://testanything.org/

Attachments: signature.asc (0.48 KB)

wk at gnupg

Re: gnupg-2.0.19 test failures on GNU/Linux Red Hat 5.8 IA-64 (Itanium) [In reply to]

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 17:46, beebe [at] math said:

> why do the encryption names prefix the PASS/FAIL reports?

This was once added to have a progress output and to see where it fails.

> PASS: DES CAST5 BLOWFISH AES AES192 AES256 TWOFISH CAMELLIA128 CAMELLIA192 CAMELLIA256 conventional.test
> FAIL: 3DES conventional-mdc.test

That is not easy to implement because the test framework is generated by
automake. Further we would not have the progress indicator.

An extra progress line makes more sense. I assigned bug 1400 to this
request.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

wk at gnupg

Re: gnupg-2.0.19 test failures on GNU/Linux Red Hat 5.8 IA-64 (Itanium) [In reply to]

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 18:31, wk [at] gnupg said:

> An extra progress line makes more sense. I assigned bug 1400 to this
> request.

Done for master:

The new output style is now:

> MD5 SHA1 RIPEMD160 SHA256 SHA384 SHA512 SHA224 <
PASS: sigs.test

or if the test fails:

> MD5 SHA1
sigs.test: ooops
FAIL: sigs.test

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

beebe at math

Re: gnupg-2.0.19 test failures on GNU/Linux Red Hat 5.8 IA-64 (Itanium) [In reply to]

Today, I successfully built these four latest snapshots of gcc on
GNU/Linux Red Hat 5.8 IA-64 (Itanium):

gcc-4.5-20120329
gcc-4.6-20120330
gcc-4.7-20120331
gcc-4.8-20120401

I then reran test builds of gnupg-2.0.19. With either -O2 or -g
compilation, all four compilers produce code that fails the same one
or two tests as before.

Thus, if the failures I reported yesterday are indeed due to gcc code
generator errors, then those errors evidently have not yet been fixed.

Re: gnupg-2.0.19 test failures on GNU/Linux Red Hat 5.8 IA-64 (Itanium) [In reply to]

Hi,

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 17:46, beebe [at] math said:
> I've just made a series of experiments with builds of gnupg-2.0.19 on
> Red Hat 5.8 IA-64 (Itanium) with multiple compilers:

> Only the build with icc passed all of the tests, so I have
> installed that one.

I just did a test with the current 2.0 code on an IA64 under Debian. I
had to install in my home directory and needed to build my own libpth
(2.0.7 plus ia64 patch).

The first test failed at decrypt.tyst and several others. Manual
testing again worked then. I remove the gnupg tree and build it again
and all tests succeeded. The only difference is that during the first
build I had not set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and thus the "make" in tests failed.
I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, ran "make" and "make check" again and it failed
as described. I also did a "make distclean" and build again, with full
success. dmesg showed several hardware errors and lost page write
errors on that machine thus this might have been the problem.

gcc 4.4.5

> gpg: WARNING: unsafe permissions on homedir `.'
> gpg: problem with the agent: Broken pipe
>
> Here are the home directory permissions:
>
> % ls -lFd ~/.
> drwxr-xr-x 309 XXXXXX wheel 1434 Apr 5 08:29 /XXXXXX
>
> They look okay to me, and in any event, the tests pass with icc, so
> the same test with gcc compilation should not fail either.

The permissions are just a warning. The GnuPG home directory should not
be world readable - but for a test this doesn't matter.

> Also, in the output
>
> 3DES CAST5 BLOWFISH AES AES192 AES256 TWOFISH CAMELLIA128 CAMELLIA192 CAMELLIA256 | PASS: conventional.test
> 3DES FAIL: conventional-mdc.test

I have changed that to

PASS: decrypt.test
PASS: decrypt-dsa.test
> MD5 SHA1 RIPEMD160 SHA256 SHA384 SHA512 SHA224 <
PASS: sigs.test

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your tests.

Salam-Shalom,