Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: devel

2.1.0beta3 missing man pages?

 

 

GnuPG devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


dkg at fifthhorseman

Mar 13, 2012, 11:55 PM

Post #1 of 6 (588 views)
Permalink
2.1.0beta3 missing man pages?

it looks to me like the following binaries in 2.1.0beta3 don't yet have
a manual page:

gpg-check-pattern
kbxutil
g13
gpgkey2ssh

Are there plans to document them with manual pages?

There is also a manpage for gpg-zip.1, but the tool appears to be named
gpgtar.

Thanks (and apologies for the minor flood here, i'm trying to document
the issues as i see them)

--dkg

_______________________________________________
Gnupg-devel mailing list
Gnupg-devel [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-devel


wk at gnupg

Mar 14, 2012, 2:27 AM

Post #2 of 6 (567 views)
Permalink
Re: 2.1.0beta3 missing man pages? [In reply to]

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 07:55, dkg [at] fifthhorseman said:

> gpg-check-pattern

That is a helper process to gpg-agent. It is by default installed in
libexec so that it is not accessible via PATH. I am not sure whether it
is useful as a separate tool. If you think it, is we should have a man
page.

> kbxutil

As of now it is only a debugging aid.

> g13

Don't install it, it is currently not very useful.

> gpgkey2ssh

That one will be dropped.

> There is also a manpage for gpg-zip.1, but the tool appears to be
> named gpgtar.

gpgtar is not complete yet. I need to investigate what to do about it.


Salam-Shalom,

Werner

--
Die Gedanken sind frei. Ausnahmen regelt ein Bundesgesetz.


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-devel mailing list
Gnupg-devel [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-devel


nicholas.cole at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 2:34 AM

Post #3 of 6 (567 views)
Permalink
Re: 2.1.0beta3 missing man pages? [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Werner Koch <wk [at] gnupg> wrote:

> gpgtar is not complete yet.  I need to investigate what to do about it.

Could we have a 'DETAILS' like file in 2.1 describing what all the
various bits of the system do? Even as someone who has followed gpg
development for a long time, I would appreciate some kind of guide to
what all of the different parts of the system are responsible for now.

Best wishes,

Nicholas

_______________________________________________
Gnupg-devel mailing list
Gnupg-devel [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-devel


dkg at fifthhorseman

Mar 14, 2012, 2:53 PM

Post #4 of 6 (564 views)
Permalink
Re: 2.1.0beta3 missing man pages? [In reply to]

On 03/14/2012 05:27 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 07:55, dkg [at] fifthhorseman said:
>
>> gpg-check-pattern
>
> That is a helper process to gpg-agent. It is by default installed in
> libexec so that it is not accessible via PATH. I am not sure whether it
> is useful as a separate tool. If you think it, is we should have a man
> page.

FWIW, there appear to be man pages for some other GnuPG 2.1.0beta3
binaries that are shipped in libexec. (i'm saying that's good, not
asking you to get rid of them!)

Without some documentation about how to use it (e.g. what the format is
expected for the pattern files) it's hard to say if it would be useful.
Inferring from its help output, it sounds similar in domain to the
cracklib suite. people find cracklib is useful; so i'd guess that this
would be as well.

>> kbxutil
>
> As of now it is only a debugging aid.
>
>> g13
>
> Don't install it, it is currently not very useful.
>
>> gpgkey2ssh
>
> That one will be dropped.
>
>> There is also a manpage for gpg-zip.1, but the tool appears to be
>> named gpgtar.
>
> gpgtar is not complete yet. I need to investigate what to do about it.

Thanks for these explanations, that's very helpful.

Regards,

--dkg

_______________________________________________
Gnupg-devel mailing list
Gnupg-devel [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-devel


wk at gnupg

Mar 27, 2012, 10:09 AM

Post #5 of 6 (544 views)
Permalink
Re: 2.1.0beta3 missing man pages? [In reply to]

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:53, dkg [at] fifthhorseman said:

> useful. Inferring from its help output, it sounds similar in domain to
> the cracklib suite. people find cracklib is useful; so i'd guess that

Right. It is a simple pattern matching tool which is called by
gpg-agent to evaluate the quality of passphrases. The goal was to have
a way to match passphrases against number plates of cars. I don't think
that this is a useful thing to do, but a client asked for it because
their security policy required it.


Shalom-Salam,

Werner

--
Die Gedanken sind frei. Ausnahmen regelt ein Bundesgesetz.


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-devel mailing list
Gnupg-devel [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-devel


wk at gnupg

Mar 27, 2012, 10:14 AM

Post #6 of 6 (548 views)
Permalink
Re: 2.1.0beta3 missing man pages? [In reply to]

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:34, nicholas.cole [at] gmail said:

> Could we have a 'DETAILS' like file in 2.1 describing what all the
> various bits of the system do? Even as someone who has followed gpg

Yeah, I agree that an architecture chapter in the manual would be very
helpful. This is now bug#1395.


Salam-Shalom,

Werner


--
Die Gedanken sind frei. Ausnahmen regelt ein Bundesgesetz.


_______________________________________________
Gnupg-devel mailing list
Gnupg-devel [at] gnupg
http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-devel

GnuPG devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.