Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: devel

Stable GnuPG: 1.4.12 vs 2.0.18

GnuPG devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

bisson at archlinux

Mar 18, 2012, 11:20 PM

Stable GnuPG: 1.4.12 vs 2.0.18

Dear GnuPG developers,

Over at Arch Linux (see [1] and surrounding messages) we are slightly
confused by the statuses of GnuPG-1 and GnuPG-2, and more specifically
the following sentences:

"1.4.12 is the stable version of GnuPG. (2.0.18 is the unstable
development version)." [2]

"We are pleased to announce the availability of a new stable
GnuPG-2 release: Version 2.0.18." [3]

We understand the GnuPG-2 branch is very different to GnuPG-1. Hence our
question: will you consider the GnuPG-2 branch as stable as GnuPG-1 some
day in the future, or is this already the case?

Cheers.

[1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-March/022704.html
[2] http://www.gnupg.org/download/release_notes.en.html
[3] http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-announce/2011q3/000312.html

--
Gaetan

wk at gnupg

Mar 19, 2012, 3:32 AM

Re: Stable GnuPG: 1.4.12 vs 2.0.18 [In reply to]

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:20, bisson [at] archlinux said:

> We understand the GnuPG-2 branch is very different to GnuPG-1. Hence our
> question: will you consider the GnuPG-2 branch as stable as GnuPG-1 some
> day in the future, or is this already the case?

We maintain two stable branches: 1.4. and 2.0. If you ask which one
you should use, the answer depends on the environment:

1. For unattended servers, 1.4 is is the easiest solution. In general
you will only encrypt or verify signatures on such boxes. Thus there
is no need for a passphrase.

2. For old Unix systems with 2.x build problems, you may resort to 1.4.

3. For all desktop systems, 2.0 is the suggested versions. New
development is only done on 2.0. The standard installer for Windows
uses 2.x. All new ports are even using 2.1. In case you really
really don't want the Pinentry, 2.1 will eventually offer you a way
to use the passphrase in the same as done in 1.4.

If you build 2.0, I even suggest to use the configure option
--enable-standard-socket which uses ~/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent as the default
IPC socket. For home directories on remote file systems which don't
support local sockets, it would be useful to document that the option
"no-use-standard-socket" in the gpg-agent.conf file reverts it back to
the old behaviour. We have a very good experience with an on-the-fly
started gpg-agent under Windows and there is no reason not to use this
also under Unix. 2.1 will make this the default anyway.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

g.esp at free

Mar 19, 2012, 4:41 AM

Re: Stable GnuPG: 1.4.12 vs 2.0.18 [In reply to]

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:20, bisson [at] archlinux said:
>
> > We understand the GnuPG-2 branch is very different to GnuPG-1.
> > Hence our
> > question: will you consider the GnuPG-2 branch as stable as GnuPG-1
> > some
> > day in the future, or is this already the case?
>
> We maintain two stable branches: 1.4. and 2.0. If you ask which one
> you should use, the answer depends on the environment:

On http://www.gnupg.org/download/release_notes.en.html
should you not reword that part:

1.4.12 is the stable version of GnuPG. (2.0.18 is the unstable development version).

Gilles

wk at gnupg

Mar 19, 2012, 6:06 AM

Re: Stable GnuPG: 1.4.12 vs 2.0.18 [In reply to]

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:41, g.esp [at] free said:

> On http://www.gnupg.org/download/release_notes.en.html
> should you not reword that part:

Yes, indeed. I have not looked at this file for ages.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner