Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

coreutils

peter at vaneckonline

Nov 9, 2004, 5:38 AM

coreutils

Hi,

Be aware that in the latest release of coreutils (5.2.1) the new
versions of chown and tail , the ones I've used sofar, have
implemented major changes for syntax use ...

example : tail +2 < filename> does no longer work .

shell scripts will fall over on that....

Peter

kburrell3 at gmail

Nov 9, 2004, 5:54 AM

Re: coreutils [In reply to]

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:38:03 +0100, Peter van Eck
<peter [at] vaneckonline> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Be aware that in the latest release of coreutils (5.2.1) the new
> versions of chown and tail , the ones I've used sofar, have
> implemented major changes for syntax use ...
>
> example : tail +2 < filename> does no longer work .
>
> shell scripts will fall over on that....
>
> Peter

What is the +2 trying to do? Output the last 2 lines? Per the man for
tail it would now be "tail -2 <filename>"

--
kb3
http://useless.sgpalace.com

matt at deploylinux

Nov 9, 2004, 6:29 AM

Re: coreutils [In reply to]

>> Be aware that in the latest release of coreutils (5.2.1) the new
>> versions of chown and tail , the ones I've used sofar, have
>> implemented major changes for syntax use ...
>>
>> example : tail +2 < filename> does no longer work .
>>
>> shell scripts will fall over on that....

ouch. On the other hand, the utilities have been warning for
some time that the syntax was going away. Still, this has the
potiential of breaking alot of apps - especially commercial ones
which are only really updated once/year.

Off the top of my head, I think the following apps still have problems:
- Many monitoring plugins/software
- either coldfusion and/or vmware ( I saw it w/ at least one recently)
- some commercial web log analyzer software
- lots of general installation scripts

Regards,
Matt

--
Matthew Marlowe - DeployLinux Consulting
Architecture and Implementation for Linux Powered E-Business

Office: 805-277-1882 / Cell: 805-857-9144
Fax: 805-277-9721 / matt [at] deploylinux

ajai at bway

Nov 9, 2004, 8:10 AM

Re: coreutils [In reply to]

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Knowles Burrell wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:38:03 +0100, Peter van Eck
> <peter [at] vaneckonline> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Be aware that in the latest release of coreutils (5.2.1) the new
> > versions of chown and tail , the ones I've used sofar, have
> > implemented major changes for syntax use ...
> >
> > example : tail +2 < filename> does no longer work .
> >
> > shell scripts will fall over on that....
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > --
> >

> What is the +2 trying to do? Output the last 2 lines? Per the man for
> tail it would now be "tail -2 <filename>"

Historically, + is taken to mean from START of the file so +2 means to
show the first two lines of the file.

--
shotgun debugging n.

The software equivalent of Easter egging; the making of relatively undirected changes to
the hope that a bug will be perturbed out of existence. This
almost never works, and usually introduces more bugs.

matthew.cline at gmail

Nov 9, 2004, 8:20 AM

Re: coreutils [In reply to]

> >> Be aware that in the latest release of coreutils (5.2.1) the new
> >> versions of chown and tail , the ones I've used sofar, have
> >> implemented major changes for syntax use ...

What changes did they make to the chown syntax? Is this regarding the
use of "user:group" vs. "user.group"?

Matt

rsanders at engr

Nov 9, 2004, 8:42 AM

Re: coreutils [In reply to]

Knowles Burrell wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:38:03 +0100, Peter van Eck
> <peter [at] vaneckonline> wrote:
> >

> > Be aware that in the latest release of coreutils (5.2.1) the new
> > versions of chown and tail , the ones I've used sofar, have
> > implemented major changes for syntax use ...
> >
> > example : tail +2 < filename> does no longer work .
> >
> > Peter
> >

> What is the +2 trying to do? Output the last 2 lines? Per the man for
> tail it would now be "tail -2 <filename>"

It's - tail -n +2 <> or tail --lines=+2 <>

Typically used to find specific text in a file/script and sed the line
to do something like run a checksum or MD5 against the script. Used
a lot in patches to games from Loki. All now broken, as is loki_update,
unless you happen to be running KDE 3.3.1.

And yes, I was there trying to get some of these to work last weekend.

Bob
-

peter at vaneckonline

Nov 9, 2004, 9:06 AM

Re: coreutils [In reply to]

I didn't look into it but I saw it in stdout when running the install
script for crossover office...

Kind a busy at the moment to take a closer look

Matthew Cline wrote:

>What changes did they make to the chown syntax? Is this regarding the
>use of "user:group" vs. "user.group"?
>

>Matt
>
>--

petter at cs

Nov 9, 2004, 12:31 PM

Re: coreutils [In reply to]

Bob Sanders wrote:

> It's - tail -n +2 <> or tail --lines=+2 <>
>
>Typically used to find specific text in a file/script and sed the line
>to do something like run a checksum or MD5 against the script. Used
>a lot in patches to games from Loki. All now broken, as is loki_update,
>unless you happen to be running KDE 3.3.1.
>
>And yes, I was there trying to get some of these to work last weekend.
>
>Bob
>-

I had some trouble getting a game to work; the solution I found,
somewhere deep in the bowels of some forum, was to set an environment
variable to a POSIX version which does support the older syntax:

export _POSIX2_VERSION=199209

--
Petter Häggholm