Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

Invalid modules format?!

th982a at googlemail

Aug 10, 2012, 1:02 PM

Invalid modules format?!

Hi people!
I have installed "wanpipe" from freeswitch overlay, and figured after
long time out, that if I manually load the module "modprobe wanrouter",
I have the error on the screen:

WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files
belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
FATAL: Error inserting wanrouter
(/lib/modules/3.3.8-gentoo/kernel/net/wanrouter/wanrouter.ko): Invalid
module format

any ideas?!

paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 2:04 PM

Re: Invalid modules format?! [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a [at] googlemail> wrote:
> Hi people!
> I have installed "wanpipe" from freeswitch overlay, and figured after
> long time out, that if I manually load the module "modprobe wanrouter",
> I have the error on the screen:
>
> WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files
> belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
> FATAL: Error inserting wanrouter
> (/lib/modules/3.3.8-gentoo/kernel/net/wanrouter/wanrouter.ko): Invalid
> module format
>

> any ideas?!

Check dmesg for clues printed when this happens. I guess usually it is
because of the module not compiled against the running kernel. You can
use the modinfo command to see what kernel version module file is
targeting.

jesus.guerrero.botella at gmail

Aug 11, 2012, 11:45 AM

Re: Invalid modules format?! [In reply to]

Use uname -r to check that the kernel version in that path matches the
kernel version you are running.

Also note that if you changed anything important in your kernel and
recompiled it you might need to recompile the external module as well.
What "important" means depends on the module itself, and the pieces of
the kernel it uses.

Also, always double check that the /usr/src/linux symlink is pointing
to the right kernel tree (the one that uname -r says you are running).
--
Jesús Guerrero Botella