Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

nvidia NVS 5200M

 

 

Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


gottlieb at nyu

Jul 26, 2012, 1:50 PM

Post #1 of 16 (3098 views)
Permalink
nvidia NVS 5200M

I am buying a new laptop, most likely a dell 6340.
My choices for video are intel 4000 and nvidia nvs 5200M.

An important consideration is that I use (via an E-port replicator) a
30" 2560x1600 monitor

Dell (not surprisingly) recommends the nvidia saying they are not sure
the 4000 will be good enough for watching DVDs.

Assuming that is right, I want to be sure there is *some* driver for it.

I would prefer nouveau as it has been trouble free for me with my
current laptop, but I don't see the nvs 5200M listed.

For the nvidia driver I see that the "quadro nvs series" is supported
(for 290.10.00 and newer). Am I right that this includes the nvs 5200M.

Has anyone experience with these graphics cards?

Also how bad would it be with the intel 4000 and my hi-res display?

thanks,
allan


markknecht at gmail

Jul 26, 2012, 4:13 PM

Post #2 of 16 (2958 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

Check the nvidia site. It will tell you the exact driver Rev that
supports this GPU.

Mark


thanasis at asyr

Jul 26, 2012, 11:52 PM

Post #3 of 16 (3055 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

I would try to find out how much heat the nvidia card or any other card
would generate under load or even without load ...
You would not want a laptop to suffer from overheating ...


on 07/26/2012 11:50 PM Allan Gottlieb wrote the following:
> I am buying a new laptop, most likely a dell 6340.
> My choices for video are intel 4000 and nvidia nvs 5200M.
>
> An important consideration is that I use (via an E-port replicator) a
> 30" 2560x1600 monitor
>
> Dell (not surprisingly) recommends the nvidia saying they are not sure
> the 4000 will be good enough for watching DVDs.
>
> Assuming that is right, I want to be sure there is *some* driver for it.
>
> I would prefer nouveau as it has been trouble free for me with my
> current laptop, but I don't see the nvs 5200M listed.
>
> For the nvidia driver I see that the "quadro nvs series" is supported
> (for 290.10.00 and newer). Am I right that this includes the nvs 5200M.
>
> Has anyone experience with these graphics cards?
>
> Also how bad would it be with the intel 4000 and my hi-res display?
>
> thanks,
> allan
>
>
>
>


gottlieb at nyu

Jul 27, 2012, 12:12 PM

Post #4 of 16 (2986 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 27 2012, thanasis [at] asyr wrote:

> on 07/26/2012 11:50 PM Allan Gottlieb wrote the following:
>> I am buying a new laptop, most likely a dell 6340.
>> My choices for video are intel 4000 and nvidia nvs 5200M.
>>
>> An important consideration is that I use (via an E-port replicator) a
>> 30" 2560x1600 monitor
>>
>> Dell (not surprisingly) recommends the nvidia saying they are not sure
>> the 4000 will be good enough for watching DVDs.
>>
>> Assuming that is right, I want to be sure there is *some* driver for it.
>>
>> I would prefer nouveau as it has been trouble free for me with my
>> current laptop, but I don't see the nvs 5200M listed.
>>
>> For the nvidia driver I see that the "quadro nvs series" is supported
>> (for 290.10.00 and newer). Am I right that this includes the nvs 5200M.
>>
>> Has anyone experience with these graphics cards?
>>
>> Also how bad would it be with the intel 4000 and my hi-res display?
>>
> I would try to find out how much heat the nvidia card or any other card
> would generate under load or even without load ...
> You would not want a laptop to suffer from overheating ...

(please do not top post to this list)

This is a std dell product (it is nvidia mobile device) so I am not
worried about the heat. It will doubtless shorten battery time, but I
mostly am plugged in.

allan


gottlieb at nyu

Jul 27, 2012, 12:41 PM

Post #5 of 16 (2962 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Check the nvidia site. It will tell you the exact driver Rev that
> supports this GPU.

Thanks. I see that 295.53 supports the NVS 5200M. Am I right in
believing that this means all drivers >= 295.53 support it.
This would be good as there are a few such in portage.

thanks again,
allan


thanasis at asyr

Jul 27, 2012, 1:02 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2939 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

on 07/27/2012 10:12 PM Allan Gottlieb wrote the following:
>
> This is a std dell product (it is nvidia mobile device) so I am not
> worried about the heat. It will doubtless shorten battery time, but I
> mostly am plugged in.
>
> allan
>
>
I wouldn't be so sure about it, after I had a bad experience with a
17-inch Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Xa 1526, which had an NVIDIA GeForce Go
7600 - 256MB DDR2. Powerfull graphics, but also a *very very* big heat
source. Plus, although the laptop was built in Germany, its airflow
design was totally inadequate to dissipate the heat even when the
graphics card was not working under load.
Under a load it was only a matter of minutes before it would crash.


mikemol at gmail

Jul 27, 2012, 1:16 PM

Post #7 of 16 (2930 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb [at] nyu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Check the nvidia site. It will tell you the exact driver Rev that
>> supports this GPU.
>
> Thanks. I see that 295.53 supports the NVS 5200M. Am I right in
> believing that this means all drivers >= 295.53 support it.
> This would be good as there are a few such in portage.

It's actually very rare for nVidia to remove support for a card that it has.

--
:wq


markknecht at gmail

Jul 27, 2012, 2:10 PM

Post #8 of 16 (2943 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb [at] nyu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Check the nvidia site. It will tell you the exact driver Rev that
>> supports this GPU.
>
> Thanks. I see that 295.53 supports the NVS 5200M. Am I right in
> believing that this means all drivers >= 295.53 support it.
> This would be good as there are a few such in portage.
>
> thanks again,
> allan
>
Almost certainly yes. I've used only NVidia cards for about 12 years
and never had one I still cared to use become unsupported. Of course I
cannot guarantee the future but I think you're pretty much set with
any NVidia card these days.

Good luck,
Mark


gottlieb at nyu

Jul 27, 2012, 3:27 PM

Post #9 of 16 (3057 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 27 2012, thanasis [at] asyr wrote:

> on 07/27/2012 10:12 PM Allan Gottlieb wrote the following:
>>
>> This is a std dell product (it is nvidia mobile device) so I am not
>> worried about the heat. It will doubtless shorten battery time, but I
>> mostly am plugged in.
>>
>> allan
>>
>>
> I wouldn't be so sure about it, after I had a bad experience with a
> 17-inch Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Xa 1526, which had an NVIDIA GeForce Go
> 7600 - 256MB DDR2. Powerfull graphics, but also a *very very* big heat
> source. Plus, although the laptop was built in Germany, its airflow
> design was totally inadequate to dissipate the heat even when the
> graphics card was not working under load.
> Under a load it was only a matter of minutes before it would crash.

That is pretty bad. I would have thought fujitsu wouldn't sell a
configuration so unstable. I am sure dell can be equally incompetent,
but NYU buys a lot from them so I am at least confident that they would
take it back.

allan


daniel at admin-box

Jul 28, 2012, 8:23 AM

Post #10 of 16 (2937 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On 26.07.2012 22:50, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> I am buying a new laptop, most likely a dell 6340.
> My choices for video are intel 4000 and nvidia nvs 5200M.
Just make sure, that you don't get a "optimus" notebook.


gottlieb at nyu

Jul 31, 2012, 7:30 AM

Post #11 of 16 (2910 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 28 2012, Daniel Troeder wrote:

> On 26.07.2012 22:50, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> I am buying a new laptop, most likely a dell 6340.
>> My choices for video are intel 4000 and nvidia nvs 5200M.
> Just make sure, that you don't get a "optimus" notebook.

Thanks. I am considering latitudes E6430 6430s E6330.

allan


gottlieb at nyu

Jul 31, 2012, 7:42 AM

Post #12 of 16 (2930 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 27 2012, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb [at] nyu> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> Check the nvidia site. It will tell you the exact driver Rev that
>>> supports this GPU.
>>
>> Thanks. I see that 295.53 supports the NVS 5200M. Am I right in
>> believing that this means all drivers >= 295.53 support it.
>> This would be good as there are a few such in portage.
>>
>> thanks again,
>> allan
>>
> Almost certainly yes. I've used only NVidia cards for about 12 years
> and never had one I still cared to use become unsupported. Of course I
> cannot guarantee the future but I think you're pretty much set with
> any NVidia card these days.

Thanks, good to know. This means that if I choose a laptop with NVS
5200M, I will have video. I would prefer nouveau (emacs bug with
nvidia). I would still prefer the intel 4000 soln as I can get a
smaller machine. But I worry that the intel might not drive my hi-res
external monitor with its 2560x1600 resolution

> Good luck,
> Mark

I may need it. Thanks again.
allan


daniel at admin-box

Aug 1, 2012, 1:29 AM

Post #13 of 16 (2882 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On 31.07.2012 16:30, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> latitudes E6430 6430s
nvidia through optimus :(

> latitudes E6330
No nvidia.


gottlieb at nyu

Aug 1, 2012, 11:16 AM

Post #14 of 16 (2902 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 01 2012, Daniel Troeder wrote:

> On 31.07.2012 16:30, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> latitudes E6430 6430s
> nvidia through optimus :(
>
>> latitudes E6330
> No nvidia.

I see. (Actually I think the 6430s is no nvidia, but you point is well
understood).

I am hopeful of getting intel 4000 graphics.
I am still trying to confirm with dell that my configuration will "work"

Specifically, I plug my current E6510 and will plug the new machine
into an e-port-replicator. Attached to that replicator (via the
replicator's displayPort) is a dell 3011 display (2560X1600 res, 30")

thanks for the advice,
allan


mikemol at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 1:43 PM

Post #15 of 16 (2957 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb [at] nyu> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01 2012, Daniel Troeder wrote:
>
>> On 31.07.2012 16:30, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>>> latitudes E6430 6430s
>> nvidia through optimus :(
>>
>>> latitudes E6330
>> No nvidia.
>
> I see. (Actually I think the 6430s is no nvidia, but you point is well
> understood).
>
> I am hopeful of getting intel 4000 graphics.
> I am still trying to confirm with dell that my configuration will "work"
>
> Specifically, I plug my current E6510 and will plug the new machine
> into an e-port-replicator. Attached to that replicator (via the
> replicator's displayPort) is a dell 3011 display (2560X1600 res, 30")

Is there a local retail outlet, LUG or other means for you to get your
hands on one before making a purchase? Does Dell offer any means of
try-before-you-buy?

--
:wq


gottlieb at nyu

Aug 2, 2012, 9:15 AM

Post #16 of 16 (2894 views)
Permalink
Re: nvidia NVS 5200M [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 01 2012, Michael Mol wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb [at] nyu> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 01 2012, Daniel Troeder wrote:
>>
>>> On 31.07.2012 16:30, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>>>> latitudes E6430 6430s
>>> nvidia through optimus :(
>>>
>>>> latitudes E6330
>>> No nvidia.
>>
>> I see. (Actually I think the 6430s is no nvidia, but you point is well
>> understood).
>>
>> I am hopeful of getting intel 4000 graphics.
>> I am still trying to confirm with dell that my configuration will "work"
>>
>> Specifically, I plug my current E6510 and will plug the new machine
>> into an e-port-replicator. Attached to that replicator (via the
>> replicator's displayPort) is a dell 3011 display (2560X1600 res, 30")
>
> Is there a local retail outlet, LUG or other means for you to get your
> hands on one before making a purchase? Does Dell offer any means of
> try-before-you-buy?

I buy directly from dell (NYU has a "deal"). I indeed will soon ask
them for a trial with the intel 4000. I am hoping to first get a
positive response that it will/should work.

Thanks,
allan

Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.