Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0

 

 

Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


v_2e at ukr

Jul 26, 2012, 2:30 AM

Post #1 of 18 (1714 views)
Permalink
Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0

Hello!
After upgrading to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.5.0 my mouse stopped
working in X-session.
Has somebody experienced a similar problem? What are the ways to fix
it?

Thanks!
Vladimir
-----
<v_2e [at] ukr>


neil at digimed

Jul 26, 2012, 2:36 AM

Post #2 of 18 (1691 views)
Permalink
Re: Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:30:38 +0300, v_2e [at] ukr wrote:

> After upgrading to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.5.0 my mouse stopped
> working in X-session.

You haven't provided much information to go on so you're not going to get
much more than guesses and "it works for me" responses.

Have a look for errors, marked EE, in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

How did you compile your new kernel, from scratch or with make oldconfig?
I suspect you may have missed something needed for evdev.

Did you update anything else at the same time?


--
Neil Bothwick

We are Pentium of Borg. You will be approximated. Resistance may or may
not be futile, except on every other Tuesday when it is a definite maybe.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


v_2e at ukr

Jul 26, 2012, 2:55 AM

Post #3 of 18 (1697 views)
Permalink
Re: Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

Hello!

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:36:23 +0100
Neil Bothwick <neil [at] digimed> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:30:38 +0300, v_2e [at] ukr wrote:
>
> > After upgrading to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.5.0 my mouse
> > stopped working in X-session.
>
> You haven't provided much information to go on so you're not going to
> get much more than guesses and "it works for me" responses.
>
> Have a look for errors, marked EE, in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>
Yes, I did
grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
before posting. And there was no mention of a mouse.

> How did you compile your new kernel, from scratch or with make
> oldconfig? I suspect you may have missed something needed for evdev.
>
I did 'make oldconfig' as usual.
> Did you update anything else at the same time?
>
Yes, I upgraded several packages. Among relevant are:
x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.99.902
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.2
x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.7.2
x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.6.1
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
sys-fs/udev-186

I also removed the previously existing
'/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/25-mouse.conf' file and tried without it.
However it did not help.

I have just booted my previous kernel-3.4.5, and the mouse works fine
with the very same set of X-related programs and settings.

-----
<v_2e [at] ukr>


bog at khumba

Jul 27, 2012, 11:35 PM

Post #4 of 18 (1702 views)
Permalink
Re: Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:55:12 +0300
v_2e [at] ukr wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:36:23 +0100
> Neil Bothwick <neil [at] digimed> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:30:38 +0300, v_2e [at] ukr wrote:
> >
> > > After upgrading to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.5.0 my mouse
> > > stopped working in X-session.
> >
> > You haven't provided much information to go on so you're not going
> > to get much more than guesses and "it works for me" responses.
> >
> > Have a look for errors, marked EE, in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
> >
> Yes, I did
> grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> before posting. And there was no mention of a mouse.
>
> > How did you compile your new kernel, from scratch or with make
> > oldconfig? I suspect you may have missed something needed for evdev.
> >
> I did 'make oldconfig' as usual.
> > Did you update anything else at the same time?
> >
> Yes, I upgraded several packages. Among relevant are:
> x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.99.902
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.2
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.7.2
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.6.1
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
> sys-fs/udev-186
>
> I also removed the previously existing
> '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/25-mouse.conf' file and tried without it.
> However it did not help.
>
> I have just booted my previous kernel-3.4.5, and the mouse works
> fine with the very same set of X-related programs and settings.
>
> -----
> <v_2e [at] ukr>
>

Does the mouse work if you try starting X with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
empty? Or maybe re-emerge xf86-input-evdev, -synaptics, -mouse?

You should be able to check whether your kernel recognizes your mouse
with something like:

~ $ grep -ie mouse -e synaptics -e touch /proc/bus/input/devices
N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
N: Name="USB Optical Mouse"
H: Handlers=mouse1 event7

Though I would think it's more likely a problem with upgrading your X
packages. The driver packages all need to be upgraded after the
server itself, and while I've always seen emerge get this right, I'm
not sure whether that's deliberate or a coincidence.

Cheers,
Bryan


rdalek1967 at gmail

Jul 28, 2012, 2:04 AM

Post #5 of 18 (1704 views)
Permalink
Re: Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

Bryan Gardiner wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:55:12 +0300
> v_2e [at] ukr wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:36:23 +0100
>> Neil Bothwick <neil [at] digimed> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:30:38 +0300, v_2e [at] ukr wrote:
>>>
>>>> After upgrading to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.5.0 my mouse
>>>> stopped working in X-session.
>>> You haven't provided much information to go on so you're not going
>>> to get much more than guesses and "it works for me" responses.
>>>
>>> Have a look for errors, marked EE, in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>>>
>> Yes, I did
>> grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> before posting. And there was no mention of a mouse.
>>
>>> How did you compile your new kernel, from scratch or with make
>>> oldconfig? I suspect you may have missed something needed for evdev.
>>>
>> I did 'make oldconfig' as usual.
>>> Did you update anything else at the same time?
>>>
>> Yes, I upgraded several packages. Among relevant are:
>> x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.99.902
>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.2
>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.7.2
>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.6.1
>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
>> sys-fs/udev-186
>>
>> I also removed the previously existing
>> '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/25-mouse.conf' file and tried without it.
>> However it did not help.
>>
>> I have just booted my previous kernel-3.4.5, and the mouse works
>> fine with the very same set of X-related programs and settings.
>>
>> -----
>> <v_2e [at] ukr>
>>
> Does the mouse work if you try starting X with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
> empty? Or maybe re-emerge xf86-input-evdev, -synaptics, -mouse?
>
> You should be able to check whether your kernel recognizes your mouse
> with something like:
>
> ~ $ grep -ie mouse -e synaptics -e touch /proc/bus/input/devices
> N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
> H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
> N: Name="USB Optical Mouse"
> H: Handlers=mouse1 event7
>
> Though I would think it's more likely a problem with upgrading your X
> packages. The driver packages all need to be upgraded after the
> server itself, and while I've always seen emerge get this right, I'm
> not sure whether that's deliberate or a coincidence.
>
> Cheers,
> Bryan
>
>


It may not help but I just configed my new kernel with make oldconfig
and noticed there was a new/different driver for mice and keyboards.
Could it be that either the wrong one was used OR that the new one
should have been used instead of the old one?

Just thought I would mention this just in case.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!


v_2e at ukr

Jul 28, 2012, 2:48 AM

Post #6 of 18 (1742 views)
Permalink
Re: Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

Hello!

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 23:35:14 -0700
Bryan Gardiner <bog [at] khumba> wrote:
>
> Does the mouse work if you try starting X with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
> empty? Or maybe re-emerge xf86-input-evdev, -synaptics, -mouse?
>
Yes, I re-emerged all the drivers after X-server upgrade.

> You should be able to check whether your kernel recognizes your mouse
> with something like:
>
> ~ $ grep -ie mouse -e synaptics -e touch /proc/bus/input/devices
> N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
> H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
> N: Name="USB Optical Mouse"
> H: Handlers=mouse1 event7
>
I tried this and it turned out that with my old kernel (3.4.5) , I
can see both Touchpad and USB mouse devices, whereas with the new one
(3.5.0) I can see only Touchpad.

I also discovered some difference in /var/log/messages log during
re-attaching the mouse to USB port with two different kernels: 3.4.5
and 3.5.0.
With 3.5.6 I get these messages (and mouse works):

kernel: usb 1-3: new low-speed USB device number 3 using ohci_hcd
kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0458, idProduct=003a
kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=0
kernel: usb1-3: Product: Optical Mouse
kernel: usb 1-3:Manufacturer: Genius
kernel: input: Genius Optical Mouse
as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/input/input8
kernel: generic-usb 0003:0458:003A.0002: input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse
[Genius Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:0b.0-3/input0

With 3.5.0 I get only these:

kernel: usb 1-3: new low-speed USB device number 5 using ohci_hcd
kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0458, idProduct=003a
kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=0
kernel: usb 1-3: Product: Optical Mouse
kernel: usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Genius

So it looks like the problem is not with X-server, but with the new
kernel. I'm puzzled, because all the drivers I used with my old kernel
are there for the new one.

> Though I would think it's more likely a problem with upgrading your X
> packages. The driver packages all need to be upgraded after the
> server itself, and while I've always seen emerge get this right, I'm
> not sure whether that's deliberate or a coincidence.
>
> Cheers,
> Bryan
>
>


-----
<v_2e [at] ukr>


v_2e at ukr

Jul 28, 2012, 3:22 AM

Post #7 of 18 (1690 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

Hello again!
The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:

CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M

This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!

Regards,
Vladimir

-----
<v_2e [at] ukr>


michaelkintzios at gmail

Jul 28, 2012, 3:24 AM

Post #8 of 18 (1727 views)
Permalink
Re: Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

On Saturday 28 Jul 2012 10:48:18 v_2e [at] ukr wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 23:35:14 -0700
>
> Bryan Gardiner <bog [at] khumba> wrote:
> > Does the mouse work if you try starting X with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
> > empty? Or maybe re-emerge xf86-input-evdev, -synaptics, -mouse?
>
> Yes, I re-emerged all the drivers after X-server upgrade.
>
> > You should be able to check whether your kernel recognizes your mouse
> > with something like:
> >
> > ~ $ grep -ie mouse -e synaptics -e touch /proc/bus/input/devices
> > N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
> > H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
> > N: Name="USB Optical Mouse"
> > H: Handlers=mouse1 event7
>
> I tried this and it turned out that with my old kernel (3.4.5) , I
> can see both Touchpad and USB mouse devices, whereas with the new one
> (3.5.0) I can see only Touchpad.
>
> I also discovered some difference in /var/log/messages log during
> re-attaching the mouse to USB port with two different kernels: 3.4.5
> and 3.5.0.
> With 3.5.6 I get these messages (and mouse works):
>
> kernel: usb 1-3: new low-speed USB device number 3 using ohci_hcd
> kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0458, idProduct=003a
> kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
> SerialNumber=0
> kernel: usb1-3: Product: Optical Mouse
> kernel: usb 1-3:Manufacturer: Genius
> kernel: input: Genius Optical Mouse
> as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/input/input8
> kernel: generic-usb 0003:0458:003A.0002: input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse
> [Genius Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:0b.0-3/input0
>
> With 3.5.0 I get only these:
>
> kernel: usb 1-3: new low-speed USB device number 5 using ohci_hcd
> kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0458, idProduct=003a
> kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
> SerialNumber=0
> kernel: usb 1-3: Product: Optical Mouse
> kernel: usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Genius
>
> So it looks like the problem is not with X-server, but with the new
> kernel. I'm puzzled, because all the drivers I used with my old kernel
> are there for the new one.

Or is it with the way the new kernel is passing device info to the X-server
and its modules?

I would try unmerging the mouse driver and only leave evdev and synaptics to
deal with input events. Initially try without an /etc/X11/xorg.conf and only
the default configuration for evdev. Then you can tweak the evdev
configuration file to see if it starts picking up the mouse events.
--
Regards,
Mick
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


neil at digimed

Jul 28, 2012, 8:24 AM

Post #9 of 18 (1695 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:22:24 +0300, v_2e [at] ukr wrote:

> Hello again!
> The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
>
> CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
>
> This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
> why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.

make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's for. I've
just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for this option,
defaulting to Y (there's little point in making something that is always
required a module).


--
Neil Bothwick

A Microsoft joke (is that a tautology?)
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


pandu at poluan

Jul 28, 2012, 8:59 AM

Post #10 of 18 (1681 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

On Jul 28, 2012 10:29 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil [at] digimed> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:22:24 +0300, v_2e [at] ukr wrote:
>
> > Hello again!
> > The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
> >
> > CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
> >
> > This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
> > why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
>
> make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's for. I've
> just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for this option,
> defaulting to Y (there's little point in making something that is always
> required a module).
>

I myself prefer make menuconfig to make oldconfig, because I can easily see
new options, and also invoke some help text that (tries to) explain what
the option is about. Not to mention an easy-to-read "chain of dependencies"
of an option.

Rgds,


michaelkintzios at gmail

Jul 28, 2012, 9:30 AM

Post #11 of 18 (1686 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

On Saturday 28 Jul 2012 16:59:10 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Jul 28, 2012 10:29 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil [at] digimed> wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:22:24 +0300, v_2e [at] ukr wrote:
> > > Hello again!
> > >
> > > The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
> > > CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
> > >
> > > This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
> > >
> > > why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
> >
> > make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's for. I've
> > just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for this option,
> > defaulting to Y (there's little point in making something that is always
> > required a module).
>
> I myself prefer make menuconfig to make oldconfig, because I can easily see
> new options, and also invoke some help text that (tries to) explain what
> the option is about. Not to mention an easy-to-read "chain of dependencies"
> of an option.
>
> Rgds,

Hmm .... but the "H" option in 'make oldconfig' allows you to see the help
text before you decide to accept it or not. Of course, the help text itself
may require you to obtain a University degree in kernel hacking to decipher it
... but to some extent that's the fun of it all. ;-)
--
Regards,
Mick
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


alan.mckinnon at gmail

Jul 28, 2012, 1:19 PM

Post #12 of 18 (1684 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:30:38 +0100
Mick <michaelkintzios [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Saturday 28 Jul 2012 16:59:10 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> > On Jul 28, 2012 10:29 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil [at] digimed>
> > wrote:
> > > On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:22:24 +0300, v_2e [at] ukr wrote:
> > > > Hello again!
> > > >
> > > > The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config
> > > > option: CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
> > > >
> > > > This option was not present in the old configuration files,
> > > > that is
> > > >
> > > > why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
> > >
> > > make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's for.
> > > I've just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for
> > > this option, defaulting to Y (there's little point in making
> > > something that is always required a module).
> >
> > I myself prefer make menuconfig to make oldconfig, because I can
> > easily see new options, and also invoke some help text that (tries
> > to) explain what the option is about. Not to mention an
> > easy-to-read "chain of dependencies" of an option.
> >
> > Rgds,
>
> Hmm .... but the "H" option in 'make oldconfig' allows you to see the
> help text before you decide to accept it or not. Of course, the help
> text itself may require you to obtain a University degree in kernel
> hacking to decipher it ... but to some extent that's the fun of it
> all. ;-)

I use both:

first oldconfig to find the newly added stuff. Not dealing with these
right away breaks things horribly.

then menuconfig, mostly looking for driver pages that have lots of
things set - I can't possibly have all of that hardware so logically
few things must be set. menuconfig also lets me easily see things I hve
never explicitly set (which oldconfig can't do) and labels them (NEW)
which is distinctly different to what oldconfig calls new stuff

And in menuconfig, the / key engages search, just like in vim
--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon [at] gmail


ny6p01 at gmail

Jul 28, 2012, 3:34 PM

Post #13 of 18 (1679 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 01:22:24PM +0300, v_2e [at] ukr wrote:
> Hello again!
> The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
>
> CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
>
> This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
> why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
>
> Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!
>
> Regards,
> Vladimir
>
> -----
> <v_2e [at] ukr>
>

Another reason why 'make oldconfig' should not be used for major kernel
upgrades....

Terry


rdalek1967 at gmail

Jul 28, 2012, 3:59 PM

Post #14 of 18 (1696 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

v_2e [at] ukr wrote:
> Hello again!
> The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
>
> CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
>
> This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
> why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
>
> Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!
>
> Regards,
> Vladimir
>
> -----
> <v_2e [at] ukr>
>
>

I bet it showed up but you missed it. I did my update yesterday and was
prompted. I had to hit the ? to see what it was for and if it applied
to me tho. This is what I got when I hit the?:

* HID support
*
HID bus support (HID) [Y/?] y
/dev/hidraw raw HID device support (HIDRAW) [Y/n/?] y
Generic HID driver (HID_GENERIC) [Y/n/m/?] (NEW) ?

CONFIG_HID_GENERIC:

Support for generic devices on the HID bus. This includes most
keyboards and mice, joysticks, tablets and digitizers.

To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module
will be called hid-generic.

If unsure, say Y.

Symbol: HID_GENERIC [=y]
Type : tristate
Prompt: Generic HID driver
Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:56
Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y]
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> HID support
-> HID bus support (HID [=y])



Generic HID driver (HID_GENERIC) [Y/n/m/?] (NEW) y

99 times out of a 100 you can ignore new stuff but this was one of those
1 out of a 100.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!


rdalek1967 at gmail

Jul 28, 2012, 4:14 PM

Post #15 of 18 (1690 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

Pandu Poluan wrote:
>
>
> On Jul 28, 2012 10:29 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil [at] digimed
> <mailto:neil [at] digimed>> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:22:24 +0300, v_2e [at] ukr
> <mailto:v_2e [at] ukr> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello again!
> > > The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
> > >
> > > CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
> > >
> > > This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
> > > why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
> >
> > make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's for. I've
> > just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for this option,
> > defaulting to Y (there's little point in making something that is always
> > required a module).
> >
>
> I myself prefer make menuconfig to make oldconfig, because I can
> easily see new options, and also invoke some help text that (tries to)
> explain what the option is about. Not to mention an easy-to-read
> "chain of dependencies" of an option.
>
> Rgds,
>

If you run make oldconfig and don't know what a option is, just type in
"?" and it will print the same thing as in menuconfig. Generally the
options are Y/n/m/? and that last one is the one that explains it all.

The funny thing is, I only use menuconfig when I am configuring a kernel
for the first time on a new rig. After that, I use oldconfig. I have
only had that fail once since about 2003 and that was when they moved
things around to the point that oldconfig couldn't be used.

Works for me. That's odd. If it could break, it would with me. ;-)
Ask anyone. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!


alan.mckinnon at gmail

Jul 28, 2012, 4:14 PM

Post #16 of 18 (1687 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 15:34:10 -0700
ny6p01 [at] gmail wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 01:22:24PM +0300, v_2e [at] ukr wrote:
> > Hello again!
> > The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config
> > option:
> >
> > CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
> >
> > This option was not present in the old configuration files, that
> > is why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
> >
> > Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vladimir
> >
> > -----
> > <v_2e [at] ukr>
> >
>
> Another reason why 'make oldconfig' should not be used for major
> kernel upgrades....


Eh? It proves the exact opposite.

oldconfig DOES show the new option, it is there, the OP simply didn't
see it there. Others did.



--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon [at] gmail


peter at humphrey

Jul 28, 2012, 5:41 PM

Post #17 of 18 (1687 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

On Saturday 28 July 2012 21:19:44 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I use both:

Me too (sorry), though I find myself using oldconfig more often than
menuconfig these days, unless I want to comb right through the config
looking for things I could improve.

> first oldconfig to find the newly added stuff...then menuconfig, mostly
> looking for driver pages that have lots of things set - I can't
> possibly have all of that hardware so logically few things must be
> set. menuconfig also lets me easily see things I hve never explicitly
> set (which oldconfig can't do) and labels them (NEW) which is
> distinctly different to what oldconfig calls new stuff

Is it really? I thought they ought to be the same. And the only snag
with menuconfig for finding new options is that you have to navigate every
single menu - quite time-consuming*.

> And in menuconfig, the / key engages search, just like in vim

Ah. I knew about the ? key since it's in the prompt. Seems I can drop
the shift. Ta.

* Speaking of consuming time, would someone with an i7 please tell me
how long it takes to compile a new kernel? I'd like to compare it with
my i5, which after mrproper and copying the .config in from /boot, where
I store it for safe keeping, was 2 min 7 sec just now. (This is related
to another thread; perhaps I should have asked this there instead.)

--
Rgds
Peter


ny6p01 at gmail

Jul 29, 2012, 8:00 PM

Post #18 of 18 (1661 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0 [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 01:41:33AM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday 28 July 2012 21:19:44 Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > I use both:
>
> Me too (sorry), though I find myself using oldconfig more often than
> menuconfig these days, unless I want to comb right through the config
> looking for things I could improve.
>
> > first oldconfig to find the newly added stuff...then menuconfig, mostly
> > looking for driver pages that have lots of things set - I can't
> > possibly have all of that hardware so logically few things must be
> > set. menuconfig also lets me easily see things I hve never explicitly
> > set (which oldconfig can't do) and labels them (NEW) which is
> > distinctly different to what oldconfig calls new stuff
>
> Is it really? I thought they ought to be the same. And the only snag
> with menuconfig for finding new options is that you have to navigate every
> single menu - quite time-consuming*.
>
> > And in menuconfig, the / key engages search, just like in vim
>
> Ah. I knew about the ? key since it's in the prompt. Seems I can drop
> the shift. Ta.
>
> * Speaking of consuming time, would someone with an i7 please tell me
> how long it takes to compile a new kernel? I'd like to compare it with
> my i5, which after mrproper and copying the .config in from /boot, where
> I store it for safe keeping, was 2 min 7 sec just now. (This is related
> to another thread; perhaps I should have asked this there instead.)

Just by way of comparison, my Centrino laptop does it in about an hour flat.

Terry

Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.