Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

ffmpeg and libav

jdm at jdm

ffmpeg and libav

Hello,

I have changed by use flag for ffmpeg to include theora. When i try
emerge I get the following

[blocks B ] media-video/ffmpeg ("media-video/ffmpeg" is blocking
media-video/libav-0.8.2)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
pulled in by media-video/ffmpeg required by @selected

(media-video/libav-0.8.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled
in by
>=media-video/libav-0.8.1[X,encode,-jpeg2k,-mp3,-sdl,-theora,-threads,-truetype,-vaapi,-vdpau,-x264]
required by (virtual/ffmpeg-0.10.2-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for
merge)

This happens for several use flags (mp3 aac)

Does this mean that ffmpeg no longer supports mp3 x264 theora etc?

And if I need to codecise an mp3 I cannot use ffmpeg?

Or have I lost the plot?
--
John D Maunder

alan.mckinnon at gmail

Re: ffmpeg and libav [In reply to]

On Wed, 16 May 2012 22:29:11 +0000
john <jdm [at] jdm> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have changed by use flag for ffmpeg to include theora. When i try
> emerge I get the following
>
> [blocks B ] media-video/ffmpeg ("media-video/ffmpeg" is blocking
> media-video/libav-0.8.2)
>
> * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> * installed at the same time on the same system.
>
> (media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
> pulled in by media-video/ffmpeg required by @selected
>
> (media-video/libav-0.8.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled
> in by
> >=media-video/libav-0.8.1[X,encode,-jpeg2k,-mp3,-sdl,-theora,-threads,-truetype,-vaapi,-vdpau,-x264]
> required by (virtual/ffmpeg-0.10.2-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for
> merge)
>

> This happens for several use flags (mp3 aac)
>

> Does this mean that ffmpeg no longer supports mp3 x264 theora etc?

No, it means that ffmpeg and libav provide the same functionalityand
thus cannot both be installed on the same machine at the same time,
you need to pick one (libav is actually a fork of ffmpeg). See here:

http://blogs.gentoo.org/scarabeus/2012/05/14/media-videolibav-stable-on-most-important-archs/#utm_source=feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feed

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon [at] gmail

stroller at stellar

Re: ffmpeg and libav [In reply to]

On 16 May 2012, at 23:29, john wrote:
> I have changed by use flag for ffmpeg to include theora. When i try
> emerge I get the following
>
> [blocks B ] media-video/ffmpeg ("media-video/ffmpeg" is blocking
> media-video/libav-0.8.2)
>
> * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> * installed at the same time on the same system.
>
> (media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
> pulled in by media-video/ffmpeg required by @selected
>
> (media-video/libav-0.8.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled
> in by
>> =media-video/libav-0.8.1[X,encode,-jpeg2k,-mp3,-sdl,-theora,-threads,-truetype,-vaapi,-vdpau,-x264]
> required by (virtual/ffmpeg-0.10.2-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for
> merge)

In addition to Alan's answer, note here that the above output lists media-video/ffmpeg and also virtual/ffmpeg.

Unless you only installed ffmpeg for the first time recently then I'd guess you originally installed media-video/ffmpeg (and that's what you have in your world file).

If you were to install ffmpeg today you would install virtual/ffmpeg instead, which is provided by either media-video/ffmpeg or media-video/libav.

Best thing to do is to remove video/ffmpeg from world in favour of virtual/ffmpeg so that Portage can work things out for itself.

Stroller.

jdm at jdm

Re: ffmpeg and libav [In reply to]

On Thu, 17 May 2012 02:43:17 +0100
Stroller <stroller [at] stellar> wrote:

> On 16 May 2012, at 23:29, john wrote:
> > I have changed by use flag for ffmpeg to include theora. When i try
> > emerge I get the following
> >
> > [blocks B ] media-video/ffmpeg ("media-video/ffmpeg" is
> > blocking media-video/libav-0.8.2)
> >
> > * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> > * installed at the same time on the same system.
> >
> > (media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
> > pulled in by media-video/ffmpeg required by @selected
> >
> > (media-video/libav-0.8.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
> > pulled in by
> >> =media-video/libav-0.8.1[X,encode,-jpeg2k,-mp3,-sdl,-theora,-threads,-truetype,-vaapi,-vdpau,-x264]
> > required by (virtual/ffmpeg-0.10.2-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for
> > merge)
>
> In addition to Alan's answer, note here that the above output lists
> media-video/ffmpeg and also virtual/ffmpeg.
>
> Unless you only installed ffmpeg for the first time recently then I'd
> guess you originally installed media-video/ffmpeg (and that's what
> you have in your world file).
>
> If you were to install ffmpeg today you would install virtual/ffmpeg
> instead, which is provided by either media-video/ffmpeg or
> media-video/libav.
>
> Best thing to do is to remove video/ffmpeg from world in favour of
> virtual/ffmpeg so that Portage can work things out for itself.
>
> Stroller.

Thanks for the advice. Have removed media-video/ffmpeg and emerge
virtual/ffmpeg which is allowing me to emerge virtual/ffmpeg and libav.

I suppose if I wanted to use media-video/ffmpeg and I could mask libav.

Thanks for your help. I see this is allowing you to choose
between libav and ffmpeg. The value of virtual packages.

Regards

--
John D Maunder

wongwwy at member

Re: ffmpeg and libav [In reply to]

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 02:43:17AM +0100, Penguin Lover Stroller squawked:
> Best thing to do is to remove video/ffmpeg from world in favour of virtual/ffmpeg so that Portage can work things out for itself.

Most likely (if you are on a desktop system), ffmpeg would be pulled
in as a dependency of something else anyway, in which case there is
really no need to even keep either in @world.

et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

realnc at gmail

Re: ffmpeg and libav [In reply to]

On 17/05/12 01:29, john wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have changed by use flag for ffmpeg to include theora. When i try
> emerge I get the following
>
> [blocks B ] media-video/ffmpeg ("media-video/ffmpeg" is blocking
> media-video/libav-0.8.2)
>
> * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> * installed at the same time on the same system.

Try to sync your portage tree again. There was a bug in the ebuilds
that would result in blockers.

Other than that, you should probably remove all references to ffmpeg and
libav from world, and then "emerge -1" either media-video/ffmpeg or
media-video/libav according to which implementation you prefer. If
you're using media-video/mplayer, then you don't have a choice; you need
media-video/ffmpeg. If you're using media-video/mplayer2, then you can
use either one.

realnc at gmail

Re: ffmpeg and libav [In reply to]

On 19/05/12 06:30, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 17/05/12 01:29, john wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have changed by use flag for ffmpeg to include theora. When i try
>> emerge I get the following
>>
>> [blocks B ] media-video/ffmpeg ("media-video/ffmpeg" is blocking
>> media-video/libav-0.8.2)
>>
>> * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
>> * installed at the same time on the same system.
>
> Try to sync your portage tree again. There was a bug in the ebuilds that
> would result in blockers.
>
> Other than that, you should probably remove all references to ffmpeg and
> libav from world, and then "emerge -1" either media-video/ffmpeg or
> media-video/libav according to which implementation you prefer. If
> you're using media-video/mplayer, then you don't have a choice; you need
> media-video/ffmpeg. If you're using media-video/mplayer2, then you can
> use either one.

I forgot to mention that you *need* to set virtual/ffmpeg to the same
USE flags you have set for media-video/ffmpeg (or media-video/libav, if
you decide to use that one instead.)

That means duplicate USE flags in your package.use:

virtual/ffmpeg foo bar baz
media-video/libav foo bar baz
media-video/libav foo bar baz

Yes, virtuals suck.