Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User
Re: HP A8 laptop install

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

h.v.bruinehsen at fu-berlin

Re: HP A8 laptop install [In reply to]

On 15.05.2012 11:11, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Stroller writes:
>
>> I boot from a SystemRescueCD and follow the Gentoo quick install guide.
>>
>> This has never failed me.
>
> For me it did, half a year ago, several packages failed to build due to
> strange libtool errors. It took me some days until I found the solution:
> unset path.
>
> Libtool uses this variable without unsetting it before, and SystemRescueCD
> defines it as environment variable, which is still available in the
> chroot. This messed things up a lot.
>
> Apart from that, I really like SystemRescueCD.
>
> Wonko

Did you do env-update && . /etc/profile after entering chroot?
I always thought that setting the right environment variables was the
purpose of that.

I personally an Ubuntu-Live-Thumbdrive, because some time ago (2 years
or so) it wasn't possible to install gentoo with LUKS on a btrfs volume
from the gentoo minimal cd.

The advantage of a live cd (especially for a beginner) is the
possibility to read the manual and google problems while installing.
Another possibility to do that would be an installation via ssh (works
nice too).