Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

I want to play movies without hangs

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

stroller at stellar

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

On 7 May 2012, at 21:43, Dale wrote:
> Also, there was a thread a good while back with this issue and their fix
> was to do a emerge -e world with everything optimized for their CPU and
> such. May be worth thinking about at least.

I understood that issue as significantly different - in that case there was stuttering of demanding video with no other i/o occurring. In this case *any* video, even low-res standard-def video, is pausing when i/o load is applied. The previous case is CPU / GPU video decoding performance issue, I think this one is clearly not.

Stroller.

w41ter at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

On 05/07/2012 10:14 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Montag, 7. Mai 2012, 18:44:05 schrieb Michael Hampicke:
>> Maybe changing the kernel io scheduler will help?
>>
>> # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/switching-sched.txt
>> # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/deadline-iosched.txt
>> # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/cfq-iosched.txt
>
> nice idea - but that didn't help in the past. Why should it help now?
>
> The question is - why does disk IO make the mouse jerky and delays keyboard
> input? That is just idiotic.

Have you tested ck-sources for comparison?

volkerarmin at googlemail

Re: Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

Am Montag, 7. Mai 2012, 15:56:20 schrieb walt:
> On 05/07/2012 10:14 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Am Montag, 7. Mai 2012, 18:44:05 schrieb Michael Hampicke:
> >> Maybe changing the kernel io scheduler will help?
> >>
> >> # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/switching-sched.txt
> >> # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/deadline-iosched.txt
> >> # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/cfq-iosched.txt
> >
> > nice idea - but that didn't help in the past. Why should it help now?
> >
> > The question is - why does disk IO make the mouse jerky and delays
> > keyboard
> > input? That is just idiotic.
>
> Have you tested ck-sources for comparison?

in the past, yes. Complete disappointment.

But it is ok, if the io happens between two very fast drives (ssd - ssd or ssd
- raid5). So the problem is:
io with one slow drive being written to
swapping

those cases are just horrible.

And vanilla-sources just work. Stable. Even with suspend to ram and ati
drivers.

--
#163933

w41ter at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

On 05/07/2012 04:13 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> And vanilla-sources just work. Stable. Even with suspend to ram and ati
> drivers.

That confuses me. Are you saying the gentoo-sources don't 'just work'?

volkerarmin at googlemail

Re: Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

Am Montag, 7. Mai 2012, 16:56:43 schrieb walt:
> On 05/07/2012 04:13 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > And vanilla-sources just work. Stable. Even with suspend to ram and ati
> > drivers.
>
> That confuses me. Are you saying the gentoo-sources don't 'just work'?

I don't know, haven't used gentoo sources in ages. I don't need fb
beautification, zcache, alps or livecd goodies. I like to be as close to
upstream as possible, so bug reports are taken seriously.

vanilla-sources work reliably with that annoying io-stuff. But no matter which
kernel I tried, ck, zen, gentoo, love etc pp that annoying io-stuff was always
there.. so no reason at all to use a patched up kernel.

--
#163933

turner25 at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

> Also, there was a thread a good while back with this issue and their fix
> was to do a emerge -e world with everything optimized for their CPU and
> such. May be worth thinking about at least.

Video playback and CPU optimisations go hand in hand.

One video I have had for a long time, I could never play it at all on
any of my computers and I could not beleive what I saw next...
I got a new PC and thought to give it a try. It worked painfully,
skipping and using 100% of one of my CPU cores. I was sad and thought
this video might have been corrupt. After a wave of cleanup, I had
removed all CPU optimisation flags from my make.conf (I was originally
negating many, like -sse, etc, so I left it "to my profile" to choose
what was needed) and recompiled everything. After that, the same
movie played in the best quality I had ever seen and CPU usage was
below 5% !!!! I was even able to open 12 movies (4x3) all playing at
the same time (this was unthinkable before I optimized my system).
Anyway, keep in mind that my particular starting scenario was that I
had "un-optimized" it long ago!

Good luck!

wonko at wonkology

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

I wrote:

> Mark Knecht writes:

> > OK, fire up two terminals. In one run top, hit 1 & z so you see all
> > your CPUs and then watch CPU usage. In the second terminal su to root
> > and run iotop -o. Now, watch for a few minutes and get a feel for
> > what's going on when video is not running. Then start your video and
> > watch IO usage and CPU usage. Where's the problem?
> >
> > Once you get an idea where the bottleneck is we can address what a
> > solution might be. In general, if the CPUs aren't maxed out and it's
> > an I/O problem then usually a bit more buffering is a simple solution.
> > Other more draconian solution might be a real-time kernel with a
> > player (if there is one) that is set up for real-time playback.
> >
> > Looking forward to hearing your test results.
>
> Thanks for your support, Mark!
>
> I did this already, but sometimes I do not notice anything. I guess it's
> short I/O operations in that case. CPU load is not the problem, and it
> happens for both high-quality videos and small ones.
> Currently iotop shows stuff like kjournald, kworker, kdeinit4,
> akonadiserver, firefox. And lots of virtuoso-t and nepomuk when I enable
> indexing again, which I just suspended.
> And mplayer of course, it shows up in about every 2nd redisplay, which
> happens every second.
>
> Well... but when I do the same in the other window manager, it seems I
> see fewer processes then. Are they mostly suspended when I am on another
> display?

I watched for longer now, and this does not seem to be true.

> And I should fire up the same stuff (Firefox, Chromium, maybe KDEPIM
> stuff) in the other WM and see if this makes things worse. But I'll do
> this tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration, though, at least I have
> something more to try now.

I am running Enlightenment 0.16 in parallel now, with Firefox, Chromium,
Kontact, Claws, Liferea, Amarok (which is doing a lot of I/OP stuff at
the moment according to iotop), and Dolphin showing a large directory of
multimedia files wit thumbnails. But I don't see akonadi related processes
in iotop, that is unusual.
I did the dd command to create more I/O. No gaps in video display at all.

When I play the video from within KDE (running Konsoles, Konqueror,
Dolphin and a lot of plasma stuff), I have gaps, and when I do the dd
command, there are in the range of seconds. Even for some seconds after
I canceled the dd.

I also tried a fresh, unconfigured KDE session by another user. I've
already done that, and there were also gaps in video playback, although
it seems they were fewer. But this time, I was not able to reproduce
them. Huh?

I guess I could remove anything running on my KDE desktop one by one,
including plasmoids, and see if playback gets better. But not now, I
finally have to actually do some work.

Wonko

neil at digimed

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

On Wed, 9 May 2012 21:44:19 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:

> I guess I could remove anything running on my KDE desktop one by one,
> including plasmoids, and see if playback gets better. But not now, I
> finally have to actually do some work.

I recently experienced slowdowns and delays with KDE. It turned out I had
inadvertently disabled swap (I'd rearranged my partitions and not updated
fstab). As soon as I gave it some swap space the delays disappeared.

--
Neil Bothwick

Sarchasm : The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person
who doesn't get it.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

wonko at wonkology

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

Neil Bothwick writes:

> On Wed, 9 May 2012 21:44:19 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
>
> > I guess I could remove anything running on my KDE desktop one by one,
> > including plasmoids, and see if playback gets better. But not now, I
> > finally have to actually do some work.
>
> I recently experienced slowdowns and delays with KDE. It turned out I
> had inadvertently disabled swap (I'd rearranged my partitions and not
> updated fstab). As soon as I gave it some swap space the delays
> disappeared.

There's plenty of swap space available. With 16 G of RAM it should not
be needed, but sometimes my load gets really really high, and when I can
use the system again, there is 2-3 G of swap usage. I haven't found out
yet what this is, it seems to happen when emerging things, maybe related
to having 5 G tmpfs for portage, but when it happened the last time only
100 M were being used.

Wonko

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

Alex Schuster wrote:
> Neil Bothwick writes:
>
>> On Wed, 9 May 2012 21:44:19 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
>>
>>> I guess I could remove anything running on my KDE desktop one by one,
>>> including plasmoids, and see if playback gets better. But not now, I
>>> finally have to actually do some work.
>>
>> I recently experienced slowdowns and delays with KDE. It turned out I
>> had inadvertently disabled swap (I'd rearranged my partitions and not
>> updated fstab). As soon as I gave it some swap space the delays
>> disappeared.
>
> There's plenty of swap space available. With 16 G of RAM it should not
> be needed, but sometimes my load gets really really high, and when I can
> use the system again, there is 2-3 G of swap usage. I haven't found out
> yet what this is, it seems to happen when emerging things, maybe related
> to having 5 G tmpfs for portage, but when it happened the last time only
> 100 M were being used.
>
> Wonko

Is there a way to find out what is using swap? Maybe something related
to the video is on swap which at times can be slow, certainly slower
than ram.

I have always wondered how to find this out myself.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

adamcarter3 at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

> Is there a way to find out what is using swap? Maybe something related
> to the video is on swap which at times can be slow, certainly slower
> than ram.
>
> I have always wondered how to find this out myself.

Well the OS uses swap, i dont know if its possible to then tie that
directly to a process. You can find out if swap is being at all using
with vmstat; so= swap out, si=swap in.

For example, watch the following when you view the video

adam [at] prox ~ $ vmstat -S M 3
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
0 0 0 1290 379 6617 0 0 26 56 108 107 2 3 93 2
0 0 0 1290 379 6617 0 0 1 15 87 91 0 0 100 0
0 0 0 1290 379 6617 0 0 0 0 59 54 0 0 100 0
0 0 0 1290 379 6617 0 0 0 7 72 73 0 0 100 0

adamcarter3 at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

> There's plenty of swap space available. With 16 G of RAM it should not
> be needed, but sometimes my load gets really really high, and when I can
> use the system again, there is 2-3 G of swap usage. I haven't found out
> yet what this is, it seems to happen when emerging things, maybe related
> to having 5 G tmpfs for portage, but when it happened the last time only
> 100 M were being used.

Yeah so it wont be swap related. This sounds more like the desktop
responsiveness issue discussed a while back. It might be worth
googling that (main issue was fixed in later kernels)
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=1

There's other things that may help, ie
CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
CONFIG_HZ=1000

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

Adam Carter wrote:
>> Is there a way to find out what is using swap? Maybe something related
>> to the video is on swap which at times can be slow, certainly slower
>> than ram.
>>
>> I have always wondered how to find this out myself.
>
> Well the OS uses swap, i dont know if its possible to then tie that
> directly to a process. You can find out if swap is being at all using
> with vmstat; so= swap out, si=swap in.
>
> For example, watch the following when you view the video
>
> adam [at] prox ~ $ vmstat -S M 3
> procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
> r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
> 0 0 0 1290 379 6617 0 0 26 56 108 107 2 3 93 2
> 0 0 0 1290 379 6617 0 0 1 15 87 91 0 0 100 0
> 0 0 0 1290 379 6617 0 0 0 0 59 54 0 0 100 0
> 0 0 0 1290 379 6617 0 0 0 7 72 73 0 0 100 0

I'm not the OP but posted a two part post that didn't quite come out
like I expected. One for the OP to try to find out what was using swap,
just in case it mattered. Two to ask how that is done in case he didn't
know and for me since I don't know either. lol

I was hoping for a command that says program foo is using X amount of
swap but I guess not.

Interesting that there isn't a real good tool for this.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

gentoo-user at hadt

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

Am 10.05.2012 05:59, schrieb Adam Carter:
>> There's plenty of swap space available. With 16 G of RAM it should not
>> be needed, but sometimes my load gets really really high, and when I can
>> use the system again, there is 2-3 G of swap usage. I haven't found out
>> yet what this is, it seems to happen when emerging things, maybe related
>> to having 5 G tmpfs for portage, but when it happened the last time only
>> 100 M were being used.
>
> Yeah so it wont be swap related. This sounds more like the desktop
> responsiveness issue discussed a while back. It might be worth
> googling that (main issue was fixed in later kernels)
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=1
>
> There's other things that may help, ie
> CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
> CONFIG_HZ=1000

Does the CONFIG_HZ setting today really have that much of an impact? I
mean with tickles kernels and high res timers it should matter that
much, or am I wrong?
Playing video is not really a low-latency-multimedia-app, on the other
hand: you never really know :)

paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology> wrote:
> Neil Bothwick writes:
>
>> On Wed, 9 May 2012 21:44:19 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
>>
>> > I guess I could remove anything running on my KDE desktop one by one,
>> > including plasmoids, and see if playback gets better. But not now, I
>> > finally have to actually do some work.
>>
>> I recently experienced slowdowns and delays with KDE. It turned out I
>> had inadvertently disabled swap (I'd rearranged my partitions and not
>> updated fstab). As soon as I gave it some swap space the delays
>> disappeared.
>
> There's plenty of swap space available. With 16 G of RAM it should not
> be needed, but sometimes my load gets really really high, and when I can
> use the system again, there is 2-3 G of swap usage. I haven't found out
> yet what this is, it seems to happen when emerging things, maybe related
> to having 5 G tmpfs for portage, but when it happened the last time only
> 100 M were being used.

Hi,

I realize this thread is bigger than an encyclopedia by now, so I
apologize if this has already been suggested. :)

I'm curious if you look at /proc/interrupts if the disk with I/O
problems is sharing interrupt with some other device. Maybe there is a
conflict of some sort.

On my motherboard, one of the SATA controllers shares an interrupt
with the soundcard, for example.

wonko at wonkology

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

Paul Hartman writes:

> I realize this thread is bigger than an encyclopedia by now, so I
> apologize if this has already been suggested. :)

Well, I'm happy for any input on this :) This problem is really annoying.

> I'm curious if you look at /proc/interrupts if the disk with I/O
> problems is sharing interrupt with some other device. Maybe there is a
> conflict of some sort.
>
> On my motherboard, one of the SATA controllers shares an interrupt
> with the soundcard, for example.

Good point. But this does not seem to be the case. The only lines that
have multiple entries are two interrupts with ohci_hdc and snd_hda_intel, that should be no problem. The two ahci entries have their own
interrupts.

I did not yet find the time to remove the plasmoids (all is fine in
other window managers, or for another user with a plain unconfigured KDE
desktop), today I dealt with a horrible and weird qt upgrade experience on
another PC. Finally I was able to downgrade to 4.7, and at least stuff is
working again there.

Wonko

wonko at wonkology

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of] [In reply to]

Finally, I found something. It's Dolphin!

I've done some longer testing, always playing the same video parallel
with a dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/10G bs=1M count=10000, in mplayer, for a
minute, several times. When I do this by opening the file in Dolphin, I
get about 15 interruptions, some for longer than a second. Started on the
command line, there are very few, I can play the video for minutes
without a gap. Hooray!

In KDE, I usually play videos by opening them in Dolphin. I exchanged
'mplayer %U' by 'xterm -T MPLAYER -e mplayer %U' in the settings, now
mplayer runs in a terminal, and all is fine. I created a window rule so
the terminal automatically minimizes. Cool!

It only happens in mplayer and mplayer2. Other players work fine, but I
like mplayer best, and prefer to run it without any window decoration.

Now, would this be an MPlayer problem, or one of Dolphin?

Wonko

invasivenorman at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of] [In reply to]

On 11 May 2012 21:40, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology> wrote:
> Finally, I found something. It's Dolphin!
>
> I've done some longer testing, always playing the same video parallel
> with a dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/10G bs=1M count=10000, in mplayer, for a
> minute, several times. When I do this by opening the file in Dolphin, I
> get about 15 interruptions, some for longer than a second. Started on the
> command line, there are very few, I can play the video for minutes
> without a gap. Hooray!
>
> In KDE, I usually play videos by opening them in Dolphin. I exchanged
> 'mplayer %U' by 'xterm -T MPLAYER -e mplayer %U' in the settings, now
> mplayer runs in a terminal, and all is fine. I created a window rule so
> the terminal automatically minimizes. Cool!
>
> It only happens in mplayer and mplayer2. Other players work fine, but I
> like mplayer best, and prefer to run it without any window decoration.
>
> Now, would this be an MPlayer problem, or one of Dolphin?

Apologies: I haven't followed this thread from the beginning,
but do you have any advanced power management features
enabled (especially hard drive related)?
When I pull the power cord on my lap-top, it goes into all kinds
of nutty "power-saving" and mplayer has long pauses while
the drive spins back up.

wonko at wonkology

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of] [In reply to]

Norman Invasion writes:

> On 11 May 2012 21:40, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology> wrote:
> > Finally, I found something. It's Dolphin!
[...]
> Apologies: I haven't followed this thread from the beginning,

Which was quite long ago :)

> but do you have any advanced power management features
> enabled (especially hard drive related)?

My drives spin down after 30 minutes of idle time, but this never happens
for the system drive. The CPU is set to throttle down from 3600 MHz to
1400 MHz with the ondemand governor, but changing to performance governor
makes no change.

> When I pull the power cord on my lap-top, it goes into all kinds
> of nutty "power-saving" and mplayer has long pauses while
> the drive spins back up.

Yeah, but those pauses are much longer than the small interruptions that
are a fraction of a second mostly, and do not happen 15 times per minute.
And it only happens when MPlayer is started from Dolphin. Well, mainly,
when there is much system load, I also had small interruptions when I run
mplayer from the command line, but they are much much less frequent, and
do not happen under normal circumstances, like when doing emerges while
playing videos.

Wonko

invasivenorman at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of] [In reply to]

On 12 May 2012 11:05, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology> wrote:
> Norman Invasion writes:
>
>> On 11 May 2012 21:40, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology> wrote:
>> > Finally, I found something. It's Dolphin!
> [...]
>> Apologies: I haven't followed this thread from the beginning,
>
> Which was quite long ago :)
>
>> but do you have any advanced power management features
>> enabled (especially hard drive related)?
>
> My drives spin down after 30 minutes of idle time, but this never happens
> for the system drive. The CPU is set to throttle down from 3600 MHz to
> 1400 MHz with the ondemand governor, but changing to performance governor
> makes no change.
>
>> When I pull the power cord on my lap-top, it goes into all kinds
>> of nutty "power-saving" and mplayer has long pauses while
>> the drive spins back up.
>
> Yeah, but those pauses are much longer than the small interruptions that
> are a fraction of a second mostly, and do not happen 15 times per minute.
> And it only happens when MPlayer is started from Dolphin. Well, mainly,
> when there is much system load, I also had small interruptions when I run
> mplayer from the command line, but they are much much less frequent, and
> do not happen under normal circumstances, like when doing emerges while
> playing videos.

I'm just recalling that I get stuttering audio in freebsd, which is caused
by what-I-don't-know, but only happens when the CPU load is low.
Firing up burncpu or doing useless recompiles ameliorates it.

wonko at wonkology

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

Dale writes:

> Is there a way to find out what is using swap? Maybe something related
> to the video is on swap which at times can be slow, certainly slower
> than ram.
>
> I have always wondered how to find this out myself.

Me too, so when I had this sudden swap problem for the first time, I
searched for a method to do this and found a script here:
http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/

There's lots of information for all processes in /proc/<pid>/. Trying to
read /proc/<pid>/mem (I think it was this file) in mc was not such a good
idea, the system froze with lots of HD activity, and after half an hour I
rebooted with Alt-SysRq-{K,E,I,S,U,B}.

I improved the script a little, it allows sorting by PID, size and name,
and can restrict the output to specific processes or show only those
using more swap than specified. If interested you can download it here:
http://www.wonkology.org/utils/getswap
You need to be root to see processes you do not own.

But of course, I forgot to run it after the sudden swap problem happened
lately. So I still do not know what was going on there. I'll wait for the
next time it happens.

Wonko

mikemol at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology> wrote:
> Dale writes:
>
>> Is there a way to find out what is using swap?  Maybe something related
>> to the video is on swap which at times can be slow, certainly slower
>> than ram.
>>
>> I have always wondered how to find this out myself.
>
> Me too, so when I had this sudden swap problem for the first time, I
> searched for a method to do this and found a script here:
> http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/
>
> There's lots of information for all processes in /proc/<pid>/. Trying to
> read /proc/<pid>/mem (I think it was this file) in mc was not such a good
> idea, the system froze with lots of HD activity, and after half an hour I
> rebooted with Alt-SysRq-{K,E,I,S,U,B}.
>
> I improved the script a little, it allows sorting by PID, size and name,
> and can restrict the output to specific processes or show only those
> using more swap than specified. If interested you can download it here:
> http://www.wonkology.org/utils/getswap
> You need to be root to see processes you do not own.
>
> But of course, I forgot to run it after the sudden swap problem happened
> lately. So I still do not know what was going on there. I'll wait for the
> next time it happens.
>
>        Wonko

sys-process/htop

--
:wq

wonko at wonkology

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

Michael Mol writes:

> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology>
> wrote:
> > Dale writes:
> >
> >> Is there a way to find out what is using swap? Maybe something
> >> related to the video is on swap which at times can be slow,
> >> certainly slower than ram.
> >>
> >> I have always wondered how to find this out myself.
> >
> > Me too, so when I had this sudden swap problem for the first time, I
> > searched for a method to do this and found a script here:
> > http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/
> >
> > There's lots of information for all processes in /proc/<pid>/. Trying
> > to read /proc/<pid>/mem (I think it was this file) in mc was not such
> > a good idea, the system froze with lots of HD activity, and after
> > half an hour I rebooted with Alt-SysRq-{K,E,I,S,U,B}.
> >
> > I improved the script a little, it allows sorting by PID, size and
> > name, and can restrict the output to specific processes or show only
> > those using more swap than specified. If interested you can download
> > it here: http://www.wonkology.org/utils/getswap
> > You need to be root to see processes you do not own.
> >
> > But of course, I forgot to run it after the sudden swap problem
> > happened lately. So I still do not know what was going on there. I'll
> > wait for the next time it happens.
> >
> > Wonko
> >

> sys-process/htop

Huh? I only see the total amount of swap being used, but no entry per
process.

Wonko

mikemol at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [In reply to]

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology> wrote:
> Michael Mol writes:
>
>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology>
>> wrote:

>> > Me too, so when I had this sudden swap problem for the first time, I
>> > searched for a method to do this and found a script here:
>> > http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/
>> >
>> > There's lots of information for all processes in /proc/<pid>/. Trying
>> > to read /proc/<pid>/mem (I think it was this file) in mc was not such
>> > a good idea, the system froze with lots of HD activity, and after
>> > half an hour I rebooted with Alt-SysRq-{K,E,I,S,U,B}.
>> >
>> > I improved the script a little, it allows sorting by PID, size and
>> > name, and can restrict the output to specific processes or show only
>> > those using more swap than specified. If interested you can download
>> > it here: http://www.wonkology.org/utils/getswap
>> > You need to be root to see processes you do not own.
>> >
>> > But of course, I forgot to run it after the sudden swap problem
>> > happened lately. So I still do not know what was going on there. I'll
>> > wait for the next time it happens.
>> >
>> >        Wonko
>> >

>> sys-process/htop
>
> Huh? I only see the total amount of swap being used, but no entry per
> process.

Hit F2, and go down to 'columns'. Anything per-process found under
/proc can be added as a column.

--
:wq

alan.mckinnon at gmail

Re: I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of] [In reply to]

On Sat, 12 May 2012 11:41:33 -0400
Norman Invasion <invasivenorman [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 12 May 2012 11:05, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology> wrote:
> > Norman Invasion writes:

> > [...]
> >> Apologies: I haven't followed this thread from the beginning,
> >
> > Which was quite long ago :)
> >
> >> but do you have any advanced power management features
> >> enabled (especially hard drive related)?
> >
> > My drives spin down after 30 minutes of idle time, but this never
> > happens for the system drive. The CPU is set to throttle down from
> > 3600 MHz to 1400 MHz with the ondemand governor, but changing to
> > performance governor makes no change.
> >
> >> When I pull the power cord on my lap-top, it goes into all kinds
> >> of nutty "power-saving" and mplayer has long pauses while
> >> the drive spins back up.
> >
> > Yeah, but those pauses are much longer than the small interruptions
> > that are a fraction of a second mostly, and do not happen 15 times
> > per minute. And it only happens when MPlayer is started from
> > Dolphin. Well, mainly, when there is much system load, I also had
> > small interruptions when I run mplayer from the command line, but
> > they are much much less frequent, and do not happen under normal
> > circumstances, like when doing emerges while playing videos.
> >

> I'm just recalling that I get stuttering audio in freebsd, which is
> caused by what-I-don't-know, but only happens when the CPU load is
> low. Firing up burncpu or doing useless recompiles ameliorates it.

I was getting stuttering audio from a sizeable % of my .avi files
served from a FreeBSD NAS. The likely cause became obvious when I
noticed that it was only on .avi files - all real containers were
fine[1].

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -of avi -o <new_file> <old_file>

fixed it permanently. I'm won't go so far as to say this might apply
to your issue, but sometimes the simplest things are the actual
causes :-)

[1] .avi files are notorious for this shit. It's what happens when you
are Microsoft and you release any old crappy format without consulting
the other experts out there (who will always outnumber you)

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon [at] gmail