Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

Recommend a tftp server that works?

 

 

Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


grant.b.edwards at gmail

May 7, 2012, 1:20 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1371 views)
Permalink
Recommend a tftp server that works?

Can somebody recommend a tftp server that works?

I've got atftp installed and have been using the client for some time
(after fixing a number of bugs).

But, the atftpd server just plain refuses to do anything other than
print out the help text and exit. It doesn't matter what options you
specify or what root directory you give, it just prints the help text
and exits. No error messages, just the help text and you're done.

After having worked with the atftp client code, I have no desire to
wade into the server code to try to fix it as well.

But, when I try to install one of the other tftp servers, emerge
refuses. How to I tell emerge to go ahead and install, for example,
netkit-tftp even though atftp is already installed?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Four thousand
at different MAGNATES, MOGULS
gmail.com & NABOBS are romping in my
gothic solarium!!


gentoo-user at hadt

May 7, 2012, 1:31 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1339 views)
Permalink
Re: Recommend a tftp server that works? [In reply to]

> Can somebody recommend a tftp server that works?

For my BOOTP server I've been using net-ftp/tftp-hpa for quiet some
time, which works great here.

> But, when I try to install one of the other tftp servers, emerge
> refuses. How to I tell emerge to go ahead and install, for example,
> netkit-tftp even though atftp is already installed?

Maybe use emerge --force or transfer the ebuild to a local overlay and
remove the blocking. I never understood why different tftp servers block
each other. I mean I can install pure-ftpd and proftpd at the time time too.


gentoo-user at hadt

May 7, 2012, 1:34 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1343 views)
Permalink
Re: Recommend a tftp server that works? [In reply to]

>
> Maybe use emerge --force or transfer the ebuild to a local overlay and
> remove the blocking. I never understood why different tftp servers block
> each other. I mean I can install pure-ftpd and proftpd at the time time too.
>

Sorry, I meant --nodeps instead of force. I tried it, and am now able to
answer my second part: you cannot install 'em together, at least atftp
and tftpd-hpa, because their binary file has the same same:
/usr/sbin/in.tftpd

--> nasty file collision :)


grant.b.edwards at gmail

May 7, 2012, 1:45 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1345 views)
Permalink
Re: Recommend a tftp server that works? [In reply to]

On 2012-05-07, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user [at] hadt> wrote:
>
>
>> Can somebody recommend a tftp server that works?
>
> For my BOOTP server I've been using net-ftp/tftp-hpa for quiet some
> time, which works great here.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Right after posting, I finally got atftpd to work.

The init.d script seems to be broken and bails because there's no root
directory configured even though there is one specified in
/etc/conf.d/atftpd. So I gave up on starting it via /etc/init.d.

When running it directly from the command line, I was missing the
"--daemon" option -- which has nothing to do with whether it runs as a
daemon or not (that's controlled by "--no-fork"). It controls whether
it expects stdin to be a UDP socket or it should create and bind a
socket.

Despite the reasonably clear help text description of --daemon, I just
couldn't convince myself to add the --daemon option when I didn't want
it to run as a daemon.

>> But, when I try to install one of the other tftp servers, emerge
>> refuses. How to I tell emerge to go ahead and install, for example,
>> netkit-tftp even though atftp is already installed?
>
> Maybe use emerge --force or transfer the ebuild to a local overlay and
> remove the blocking. I never understood why different tftp servers block
> each other. I mean I can install pure-ftpd and proftpd at the time time too.

I would have sworn I had at least two different tftp servers installed
at the same time in the past...

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! RELATIVES!!
at
gmail.com


tsg at bonedaddy

May 8, 2012, 5:31 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1335 views)
Permalink
Re: Recommend a tftp server that works? [In reply to]

* Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards [at] gmail> [120507 23:34]:
> Can somebody recommend a tftp server that works?
>
> I've got atftp installed and have been using the client for some time
> (after fixing a number of bugs).
>
> But, the atftpd server just plain refuses to do anything other than
> print out the help text and exit. It doesn't matter what options you
> specify or what root directory you give, it just prints the help text
> and exits. No error messages, just the help text and you're done.
>
> After having worked with the atftp client code, I have no desire to
> wade into the server code to try to fix it as well.
>
> But, when I try to install one of the other tftp servers, emerge
> refuses. How to I tell emerge to go ahead and install, for example,
> netkit-tftp even though atftp is already installed?


I use tftp-hpa and it works well for me.

Todd

Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.