Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?

w41ter at gmail

USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?

Maybe I overlooked some gentoo emerge warning? A recent update
(udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
on /run/media instead of /media.

Perhaps motivated by the recent lvm2 error messages during boot?
Anyone know for sure?

benny.gaechter at gmail

Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

I have got an ~amd64 machine, too. My USB Stick still mounts in /media.
Probably you changed some configuration?

Am 14. April 2012 02:19 schrieb walt <w41ter [at] gmail>:
> Maybe I overlooked some gentoo emerge warning? A recent update
> (udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
> on /run/media instead of /media.
>
> Perhaps motivated by the recent lvm2 error messages during boot?
> Anyone know for sure?

spideybr at gmail

Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

How do you mount them automatically? Isn't there a middle-man software
that mounts removable drives? I'm pretty sure I never had a drive
automount without kde or gnome managing them.

w41ter at gmail

Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

On 04/18/2012 10:04 AM, Claudio Roberto França Pereira wrote:
> How do you mount them automatically? Isn't there a middle-man software
> that mounts removable drives? I'm pretty sure I never had a drive
> automount without kde or gnome managing them.

I forgot to check on this because I was distracted by other problems :)

Yes, I think it must be a gnome thing because the USB sticks are
mounted only when I startx, not earlier. I'll grep through some
stuff and try to find where it comes from.

a6702894 at unet

Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

a possibility could be to get the label or UUID of the device.
blkid will give you a list to find out.
you could then enter the device in fstab with either LABEL=<label> or
UUID=<uuid>, bypassing the need to use /dev/something, which for USB-disks
might change from one system start to the next

hope I understood your problem correctly

michael

--
Michael Scherer
Univ.klinik f. Psychiatrie

Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

On 04/13/2012 05:19 PM, walt wrote:
> A recent update
> (udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
> on /run/media instead of /media.

Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa

waltdnes at waltdnes

Re: Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 01:18:04PM -0700, walt wrote
> On 04/13/2012 05:19 PM, walt wrote:
> > A recent update (udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting
> > removable drives on /run/media instead of /media.
>
> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa

Are we running Linux or are we running Lennax?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes [at] waltdnes>

caneko at gmail

Re: Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM, walt <w41ter [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 05:19 PM, walt wrote:
>>
>>  A recent update
>> (udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
>> on /run/media instead of /media.
>

> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa

The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH

And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
see it (unless it has the corresponding permissions). And anyway, if
you are using a desktop system you don't care where the drive mounts,
it just appears in your filemanager. If you are not using a desktop,
then you should not have udisks2 installed, probably.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

w41ter at gmail

Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

On 05/03/2012 02:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM, walt <w41ter [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On 04/13/2012 05:19 PM, walt wrote:
>>>
>>> A recent update
>>> (udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
>>> on /run/media instead of /media.
>>

>> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
>>
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa
>
> The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
> systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
> words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
> David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
>
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH

Thanks for the correction.

> And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
> configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
> see it

I've thought that for a long time. Mounting my own "personal mount" on
a system directory never made any sense to me. However, /run/media is
still a system directory, so it still doesn't make any sense to me.

I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice. But I'm not doing
the coding in this bazaar ;)

The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a tempfs
for some reason. Do you know why?

I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it a
tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run when
it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?

caneko at gmail

Re: Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM, walt <w41ter [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 02:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

>>> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
>>>
>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa
>>
>> The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
>> systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
>> words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
>> David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH
>
> Thanks for the correction.
>
>> And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
>> configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
>> see it
>
> I've thought that for a long time.  Mounting my own "personal mount" on
> a system directory never made any sense to me.  However, /run/media is
> still a system directory, so it still doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice.  But I'm not doing
> the coding in this bazaar ;)
>
> The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a tempfs
> for some reason.  Do you know why?

So the mountpoint can be created on the fly, and so it is also
volatile. The system could "mkdir /media/<mountpoint>" everytime a USB
is plugged, and then "rmdir /media/<mountpoint>" when it's unplugged;
but if something happens (a power failure or something similar), then
you would need to manually remove the stale dir, or have a process do
it from time to time. Actually, some years ago it was not rare to have
such stale directories under /media.

None of this happens with a tmpfs.

> I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it a
> tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run when
> it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?

I don't know, really. gvfs (the new virtual filesystem for GNOME)
mounts the remote shares in $HOME/.gvfs (which is also a tmpfs). I
suppose a $HOME/.mount could be created.

I personally don't care, but it is certainly not consistent. However,
I agree with the idea of getting rid of the /media dir, and I have not
used /mnt in years, so I'm thinking on deleting both so my root dir is
cleaner.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

poisonbl at gmail

Re: Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM, walt <w41ter [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 02:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

>>> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
>>>
>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa
>>
>> The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
>> systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
>> words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
>> David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH
>
> Thanks for the correction.
>
>> And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
>> configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
>> see it
>
> I've thought that for a long time.  Mounting my own "personal mount" on
> a system directory never made any sense to me.  However, /run/media is
> still a system directory, so it still doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice.  But I'm not doing
> the coding in this bazaar ;)
>
> The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a tempfs
> for some reason.  Do you know why?
>
> I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it a
> tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run when
> it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?

In my completely uninformed guess... a) tmpfs automatically 'cleans
up' every reboot, making sure old folders aren't sitting around stale
even if something did go wrong, and/or b) it's guaranteed writable for
the service that needs to make those mount points. I could probably
come up with a 'c', but I'd likely have to actually do a bit of
reading on the topic before rising looking even more foolishly un-read
on the topic than I already do! :-P

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

alan.mckinnon at gmail

Re: Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

On Thu, 3 May 2012 20:33:19 -0400
Joshua Murphy <poisonbl [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM, walt <w41ter [at] gmail> wrote:

> >> The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
> >> systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In
> >> other words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the
> >> responsible is David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
> >>
> >> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH
> >
> > Thanks for the correction.
> >
> >> And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in
> >> multiseat configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only
> >> him/she will see it
> >
> > I've thought that for a long time. Mounting my own "personal
> > mount" on a system directory never made any sense to me.
> > However, /run/media is still a system directory, so it still
> > doesn't make any sense to me.
> >
> > I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice. But I'm not
> > doing the coding in this bazaar ;)
> >
> > The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a
> > tempfs for some reason. Do you know why?
> >
> > I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it
> > a tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run
> > when it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?
>
> In my completely uninformed guess... a) tmpfs automatically 'cleans
> up' every reboot, making sure old folders aren't sitting around stale
> even if something did go wrong, and/or b) it's guaranteed writable for
> the service that needs to make those mount points. I could probably
> come up with a 'c', but I'd likely have to actually do a bit of
> reading on the topic before rising looking even more foolishly un-read
> on the topic than I already do! :-P

Here you go, one time c):

/run can be guaranteed to exist immediately after / is mounted, which
fixes a whole slew of really horrible problems if it isn't.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon [at] gmail

neil at digimed

Re: Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? [In reply to]

On Fri, 4 May 2012 03:37:05 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > In my completely uninformed guess... a) tmpfs automatically 'cleans
> > up' every reboot, making sure old folders aren't sitting around stale
> > even if something did go wrong, and/or b) it's guaranteed writable for
> > the service that needs to make those mount points. I could probably
> > come up with a 'c', but I'd likely have to actually do a bit of
> > reading on the topic before rising looking even more foolishly un-read
> > on the topic than I already do! :-P
> >

> Here you go, one time c):
>
> /run can be guaranteed to exist immediately after / is mounted, which
> fixes a whole slew of really horrible problems if it isn't.

But it cannot be guaranteed that / is mounted rw at this time, so /run o
tmpfs makes sense from that perspective. However, it is an illogical place
to mount removable devices, whereas the function of /media is immediately
obvious from its name. The link given indicates that systemd was already
mounting /media as a tmpfs, is it really worth switching to an
unintuitive location for the mountpoints just to save one tmpfs which
uses so little resources?

--
Neil Bothwick

If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)