Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

convert wmv to mp4?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

markknecht at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> If he is using amd64 he can't use win32codecs unless he uses a 32-bit
>>> mplayer/ffmpeg. AFAIK.
>>
>> Wouldn't using multilib work around this?
>
> I think he would still need to compile a 32-bit mplayer/ffmpeg (in a
> 32-bit chroot) to be able to make use of them. Multilib would let him
> run 32-bit mplayer or ffmpeg binaries (which themselves would be able
> to use the 32-bit DLLs). But I don't think 64-bit mplayer/ffmpeg can
> call 32-bit DLLs.
>
> There is an amd64codecs package containing the 64-bit codecs, but it
> has been masked and made obsolete by the fact that mplayer/ffmpeg can
> natively do most (or all?) of those codecs these days.

And presumably for all the same reasons, if I cannot play them I
cannot convert them.

Ah, a world full of unspecified, proprietary vendor specific file
formats hidden in old dlls... Ain't it a fine world we live in?

Sort of painful to start maintaining a 32-bit chroot just to handle
this sort of thing. I suspect there's some freeware for the Windows
world that might allow me to do the conversion in a VM. I'll start
looking for that. The web site that advertised conversion didn't work
as it bombed out after an hour.

Maybe there's some simple binary install I could do - Fedora or
Ubuntu, etc. - but my concern there is that those binaries might not
play well inside my 64-bit Gentoo environ...

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks,
Mark

paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> Wouldn't using multilib work around this?
>>
>> I think he would still need to compile a 32-bit mplayer/ffmpeg (in a
>> 32-bit chroot) to be able to make use of them. Multilib would let him
>> run 32-bit mplayer or ffmpeg binaries (which themselves would be able
>> to use the 32-bit DLLs). But I don't think 64-bit mplayer/ffmpeg can
>> call 32-bit DLLs.
>>
>> There is an amd64codecs package containing the 64-bit codecs, but it
>> has been masked and made obsolete by the fact that mplayer/ffmpeg can
>> natively do most (or all?) of those codecs these days.
>>

> And presumably for all the same reasons, if I cannot play them I
> cannot convert them.
>
> Ah, a world full of unspecified, proprietary vendor specific file
> formats hidden in old dlls... Ain't it a fine world we live in?
>
> Sort of painful to start maintaining a 32-bit chroot just to handle
> this sort of thing. I suspect there's some freeware for the Windows
> world that might allow me to do the conversion in a VM. I'll start
> looking for that. The web site that advertised conversion didn't work
> as it bombed out after an hour.

There used to be a 32-bit mplayer-bin package in portage that would
have made it simple, but that disappeared some time ago.

> Maybe there's some simple binary install I could do - Fedora or
> Ubuntu, etc. - but my concern there is that those binaries might not
> play well inside my 64-bit Gentoo environ...

If you can find a statically-linked 32-bit mplayer somewhere, and
emerge the win32codecs package on your machine, I think it has a
chance of working.

markknecht at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> I think he would still need to compile a 32-bit mplayer/ffmpeg (in a
>>> 32-bit chroot) to be able to make use of them. Multilib would let him
>>> run 32-bit mplayer or ffmpeg binaries (which themselves would be able
>>> to use the 32-bit DLLs). But I don't think 64-bit mplayer/ffmpeg can
>>> call 32-bit DLLs.
>>>
>>> There is an amd64codecs package containing the 64-bit codecs, but it
>>> has been masked and made obsolete by the fact that mplayer/ffmpeg can
>>> natively do most (or all?) of those codecs these days.
>>>

>> And presumably for all the same reasons, if I cannot play them I
>> cannot convert them.
>>
>> Ah, a world full of unspecified, proprietary vendor specific file
>> formats hidden in old dlls... Ain't it a fine world we live in?
>>
>> Sort of painful to start maintaining a 32-bit chroot just to handle
>> this sort of thing. I suspect there's some freeware for the Windows
>> world that might allow me to do the conversion in a VM. I'll start
>> looking for that. The web site that advertised conversion didn't work
>> as it bombed out after an hour.
>
> There used to be a 32-bit mplayer-bin package in portage that would
> have made it simple, but that disappeared some time ago.
>
>> Maybe there's some simple binary install I could do - Fedora or
>> Ubuntu, etc. - but my concern there is that those binaries might not
>> play well inside my 64-bit Gentoo environ...
>
> If you can find a statically-linked 32-bit mplayer somewhere, and
> emerge the win32codecs package on your machine, I think it has a
> chance of working.

Actually, going back to the title of the thread, I don't need to watch
wmv files in 64-bit. I really only need to _convert_ them to mp4 so
that I could watch them using xine, etc. or externally on the Kindle.

Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or X11,
etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in terms
of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
any GUI stuff?

mikemol at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> If he is using amd64 he can't use win32codecs unless he uses a 32-bit
>>> mplayer/ffmpeg. AFAIK.
>>
>> Wouldn't using multilib work around this?
>
> I think he would still need to compile a 32-bit mplayer/ffmpeg (in a
> 32-bit chroot) to be able to make use of them. Multilib would let him
> run 32-bit mplayer or ffmpeg binaries (which themselves would be able
> to use the 32-bit DLLs). But I don't think 64-bit mplayer/ffmpeg can
> call 32-bit DLLs.
>
> There is an amd64codecs package containing the 64-bit codecs, but it
> has been masked and made obsolete by the fact that mplayer/ffmpeg can
> natively do most (or all?) of those codecs these days.

I don't muck with multilib explicitly; I have it enabled, but I don't
actively do anything.

How does one appropriately build a 32-bit version of an established
ebuild on a multilib system?

--
:wq

mikemol at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> And presumably for all the same reasons, if I cannot play them I
>>> cannot convert them.
>>>
>>> Ah, a world full of unspecified, proprietary vendor specific file
>>> formats hidden in old dlls... Ain't it a fine world we live in?
>>>
>>> Sort of painful to start maintaining a 32-bit chroot just to handle
>>> this sort of thing. I suspect there's some freeware for the Windows
>>> world that might allow me to do the conversion in a VM. I'll start
>>> looking for that. The web site that advertised conversion didn't work
>>> as it bombed out after an hour.
>>
>> There used to be a 32-bit mplayer-bin package in portage that would
>> have made it simple, but that disappeared some time ago.
>>
>>> Maybe there's some simple binary install I could do - Fedora or
>>> Ubuntu, etc. - but my concern there is that those binaries might not
>>> play well inside my 64-bit Gentoo environ...
>>
>> If you can find a statically-linked 32-bit mplayer somewhere, and
>> emerge the win32codecs package on your machine, I think it has a
>> chance of working.
>>

> Actually, going back to the title of the thread, I don't need to watch
> wmv files in 64-bit. I really only need to _convert_ them to mp4 so
> that I could watch them using xine, etc. or externally on the Kindle.
>
> Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or X11,
> etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
> using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in terms
> of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
> any GUI stuff?

I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
me)

--
:wq

markknecht at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> There used to be a 32-bit mplayer-bin package in portage that would
>>> have made it simple, but that disappeared some time ago.

>>> If you can find a statically-linked 32-bit mplayer somewhere, and
>>> emerge the win32codecs package on your machine, I think it has a
>>> chance of working.
>>>

>> Actually, going back to the title of the thread, I don't need to watch
>> wmv files in 64-bit. I really only need to _convert_ them to mp4 so
>> that I could watch them using xine, etc. or externally on the Kindle.
>>
>> Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or X11,
>> etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
>> using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in terms
>> of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
>> any GUI stuff?
>
> I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
> inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
> that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
> me)

I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.

Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
it's any big deal. No idea how the 32-bit VM really does 32-bit when
it's running on a 64-bit processor that's doing 64-bit all the time
but I guess that's why we pay these Intel & Oracle people the big
bucks, right? ;-)

And if I end up needing X in the 32-bit environment for some reason it
will be easy to add that down the road.

It's a real drag about the hassles your machines have been going
through. I hope you get by that soon.

Cheers,
Mark

mikemol at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:

[snip]

>>> Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or X11,
>>> etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
>>> using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in terms
>>> of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
>>> any GUI stuff?
>>
>> I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
>> inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
>> that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
>> me)
>>

> I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
> That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
> different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.
>
> Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
> install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
> it's any big deal. No idea how the 32-bit VM really does 32-bit when
> it's running on a 64-bit processor that's doing 64-bit all the time
> but I guess that's why we pay these Intel & Oracle people the big
> bucks, right? ;-)

Actually, it's pretty simple, and works just fine IME. I've run 32-bit
processes on 64-bit systems ever since I started using 64-bit Linux a
few years ago, and it's unavoidable if one does anything on 64-bit
Windows.

> And if I end up needing X in the 32-bit environment for some reason it
> will be easy to add that down the road.

For that, I imagine I'd use a TCP socket connecting to localhost. To
put it simply, X network transparency is simply awesome. Your x server
would run in your 64-bit environment, and your client app would run in
your 32-bit environment.

> It's a real drag about the hassles your machines have been going
> through. I hope you get by that soon.

I'm probably going to lose inara to Ubuntu 12.04, unless I get lucky
and manage to properly configure a tiny WYSE box I picked up at a
computer recycling center. If that works, I'm in good shape.

--
:wq

stroller at stellar

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On 2 May 2012, at 01:51, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
> install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
> it's any big deal.

I don't think there's much difference. I've only started doing AMD64 installs in the last year or so, maybe 2 or 3 of them in total, and I don't seem to be doing anything different.

Just google "gentoo quick install guide" and follow that - it's marked as for x86, but I've been following it for AMD64, too.

Stroller.

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

Stroller wrote:

> On 2 May 2012, at 01:51, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
>> install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
>> it's any big deal.
>
> I don't think there's much difference. I've only started doing AMD64 installs in the last year or so, maybe 2 or 3 of them in total, and I don't seem to be doing anything different.
>
> Just google "gentoo quick install guide" and follow that - it's marked as for x86, but I've been following it for AMD64, too.
>
> Stroller.

I follow the same guide for both x86 and amd64. The biggest difference
is the tarball you start with. Other than that, it's pretty much all
the same. Linky:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

jarausch at igpm

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On 05/02/2012 02:51:07 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail>
> wrote:

> anyway)
> package.use but

> a 32-bit

> (in a
> let him
> be able
> mplayer/ffmpeg can

> but it
> mplayer/ffmpeg can

> handle
> Windows
> start
> work

> would

> not

> >> Actually, going back to the title of the thread, I don't need to
> watch
> >> wmv files in 64-bit. I really only need to _convert_ them to mp4 so
> >> that I could watch them using xine, etc. or externa
> lly on the Kindle.
> >>
> >> Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or
> X11,
> >> etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
> >> using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in
> terms
> >> of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
> >> any GUI stuff?
> >
> > I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
> > inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
> > that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
> > me)
> >

> I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
> That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
> different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.
>
> Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
> install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
> it's any big deal. No idea how the 32-bit VM really does 32-bit when
> it's running on a 64-bit processor that's doing 64-bit all the time
> but I guess that's why we pay these Intel & Oracle people the big
> bucks, right? ;-)
>
> And if I end up needing X in the 32-bit environment for some reason it
> will be easy to add that down the road.
>
> It's a real drag about the hassles your machines have been going
> through. I hope you get by that soon.

I'd use a SystemRescueCD image (it's an up-to-date Gentoo 32 bit system)
Helmut.

eliezer at ngtech

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On 02/05/2012 03:51, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Mol<mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
<SNIP>

> I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
> That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
> different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.
>
> Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
> install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
> it's any big deal. No idea how the 32-bit VM really does 32-bit when
> it's running on a 64-bit processor that's doing 64-bit all the time
> but I guess that's why we pay these Intel& Oracle people the big
> bucks, right? ;-)
>
> And if I end up needing X in the 32-bit environment for some reason it
> will be easy to add that down the road.
>
> It's a real drag about the hassles your machines have been going
> through. I hope you get by that soon.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

how about VLC to convert the videos?
i uesd it couple times to play them and play\encode is almost the same
using vlc.
as i remember it has a "cli" like mode.

Eliezer

--
Eliezer Croitoru
https://www1.ngtech.co.il

markknecht at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> [snip]

>>> I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
>>> inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
>>> that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
>>> me)
>>>

>> I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
>> That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
>> different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.

Hi Michael,
OK, the markets are _really_ boring this morning so while I'm
waiting for grass to grow on my trading platform I did the 32-bit
install in a Virtualbox VM. Booted up fine the first time. Only took
about an hour to get it running, so not too bad. (Made easier by being
able to look at config files on host.

emerge -DuN @world ran in a few minutes and the machine is
up-to-date so I can start looking at maybe ffmpeg or something as a
32-bit app.

For anyone following this thread silently (or looking it up in some
future search) the default settings in gentoo-sources-2.3.12 were
fine. I changed the processor to a Core 2 setting, removed all the
networking devices except for the default Intel devices which are
built in (as that's what the Virtualbox network VM model seems to be
built on) and built in ext3 & ext4 file systems. I used grub, not
grub-static as I usually do and just followed the 32-bit install
guide. Booted perfectly the first time.

The only Vbox trick was to choose the bridged adapter, not the
default NAT device. After I did that networking was up and I was off
and running.

Cheers,
Mark

pandu at poluan

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On May 2, 2012 7:55 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:

---- >8 snip

> Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
> install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
> it's any big deal. No idea how the 32-bit VM really does 32-bit when
> it's running on a 64-bit processor that's doing 64-bit all the time
> but I guess that's why we pay these Intel & Oracle people the big
> bucks, right? ;-)

Magic unicorns. And some pixie dust. :-D

Rgds,

kutulu at kutulu

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On 5/1/2012 6:14 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Sort of painful to start maintaining a 32-bit chroot just to handle
> this sort of thing. I suspect there's some freeware for the Windows
> world that might allow me to do the conversion in a VM. I'll start
> looking for that. The web site that advertised conversion didn't work
> as it bombed out after an hour.

ffmpeg runs on Windows, why not just use that?

--Mike