Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

convert wmv to mp4?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

markknecht at gmail

convert wmv to mp4?

I'm looking around on the web for ways to convert wmv files to mp4. So
far the most common solution seems to be ffmpeg but when I try that it
doesn't seem to understand the video files. The most common type of
comment people give is that this should be straight forward if 32-bit
codecs are installed. I'm running 64-bit and don't see what flags I
might need to set to get that?

There is a library (libwmf) which advertises the ability to do this
but I don't seem to be using it in any application right now:

* media-libs/libwmf
Available versions: 0.2.8.4-r4 {{X debug doc expat xml}}
Homepage: http://wvware.sourceforge.net/

mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $ equery depends libwfm
* These packages depend on libwfm:
mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $

Anyone doing this successfully today or what to suggest how to do this?

Thanks,
Mark

mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $ ffmpeg -i Test1.wmv -f mp4 -acodec mp2
Test1.mp4
ffmpeg version 0.10.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers
built on Apr 27 2012 16:07:57 with gcc 4.5.3
configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64
--shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-shared
--cc=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc --cxx=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++
--ar=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ar --optflags='-O2 -march=native -pipe'
--extra-cflags='-O2 -march=native -pipe' --extra-cxxflags='-O2
-march=native -pipe' --disable-static --enable-gpl --enable-version3
--enable-postproc --enable-avfilter --disable-stripping
--disable-debug --disable-doc --disable-network --disable-vaapi
--disable-vdpau --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libvo-aacenc
--enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid
--disable-indev=v4l --disable-indev=v4l2 --disable-indev=oss
--disable-indev=jack --enable-x11grab --disable-outdev=oss
--enable-libfreetype --enable-libopenjpeg --disable-amd3dnow
--disable-amd3dnowext --disable-altivec --disable-avx --disable-mmx2
--disable-vis --disable-neon --cpu=host --enable-hardcoded-tables
libavutil 51. 35.100 / 51. 35.100
libavcodec 53. 61.100 / 53. 61.100
libavformat 53. 32.100 / 53. 32.100
libavdevice 53. 4.100 / 53. 4.100
libavfilter 2. 61.100 / 2. 61.100
libswscale 2. 1.100 / 2. 1.100
libswresample 0. 6.100 / 0. 6.100
libpostproc 52. 0.100 / 52. 0.100
[asf @ 0x626320] max_analyze_duration 5000000 reached at 5200000
[asf @ 0x626320] decoding for stream 1 failed
[asf @ 0x626320] Could not find codec parameters (Video: none (MSS2 /
0x3253534D), 1366x740, 4971 kb/s)
Input #0, asf, from 'Test1.wmv':
Metadata:
WMFSDKVersion : 12.0.7601.17514
WMFSDKNeeded : 0.0.0.0000
IsVBR : 0
Duration: 02:32:10.26, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 42 kb/s
Stream #0:0(eng): Audio: wmav2 (a[1][0][0] / 0x0161), 44100 Hz, 1
channels, s16, 20 kb/s
Stream #0:1(eng): Video: none (MSS2 / 0x3253534D), 1366x740, 4971
kb/s, 1k tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc
File 'Test1.mp4' already exists. Overwrite ? [y/N] y
Video pixel format is unknown, stream cannot be encoded
mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $

[I] media-video/ffmpeg
Available versions: 0.7.8 0.10 0.10.2{tbz2} **9999 {{(+)3dnow
(+)3dnowext X aac aacplus alsa altivec amr ass avx bindist bluray
+bzip2 cdio celt cpudetection custom-cflags debug dirac doc +encode
faac +fftools_aviocat +fftools_cws2fws +fftools_ffeval
+fftools_graph2dot +fftools_ismindex +fftools_pktdumper
+fftools_qt-faststart +fftools_trasher fontconfig frei0r gnutls gsm
+hardcoded-tables ieee1394 iwmmxt jack jpeg2k libv4l (+)mmx (+)mmxext
modplug mp3 neon network openal openssl oss pic pulseaudio
+qt-faststart rtmp schroedinger sdl speex (+)ssse3 static-libs test
theora threads truetype v4l vaapi vdpau video_cards_nvidia vis vorbis
vpx x264 xvid +zlib}}
Installed versions: 0.10.2{tbz2}(04:08:05 PM 04/27/2012)(X aac
alsa bzip2 encode fftools_aviocat fftools_cws2fws fftools_ffeval
fftools_graph2dot fftools_ismindex fftools_pktdumper
fftools_qt-faststart fftools_trasher hardcoded-tables jpeg2k mmx mp3
sdl ssse3 truetype vorbis x264 xvid zlib -3dnow -3dnowext -aacplus
-altivec -amr -ass -avx -bindist -cdio -celt -cpudetection -debug
-dirac -doc -faac -frei0r -gnutls -gsm -ieee1394 -jack -libv4l -mmxext
-modplug -neon -network -openal -openssl -oss -pic -pulseaudio -rtmp
-schroedinger -speex -static-libs -test -theora -threads -v4l -vaapi
-vdpau -vis -vpx)
Homepage: http://ffmpeg.org/
stream audio and video. Includes libavcodec.

mikemol at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm looking around on the web for ways to convert wmv files to mp4. So
> far the most common solution seems to be ffmpeg but when I try that it
> doesn't seem to understand the video files. The most common type of
> comment people give is that this should be straight forward if 32-bit
> codecs are installed. I'm running 64-bit and don't see what flags I
> might need to set to get that?
>
> There is a library (libwmf) which advertises the ability to do this
> but I don't seem to be using it in any application right now:
>
> * media-libs/libwmf
>     Available versions:  0.2.8.4-r4 {{X debug doc expat xml}}
>     Homepage:            http://wvware.sourceforge.net/
>
> mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $ equery depends libwfm
>  * These packages depend on libwfm:
> mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $
>

> Anyone doing this successfully today or what to suggest how to do this?

What you need is likely a combination of 'w32codecs' (which I expect
is an ebuild somewhere) and multilib.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Gentoo box I can ssh into any more, at
least until inara and/or kaylee are fixed. But I did have this kind of
thing working on them previously.

--
:wq

markknecht at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I'm looking around on the web for ways to convert wmv files to mp4. So
>> far the most common solution seems to be ffmpeg but when I try that it
>> doesn't seem to understand the video files. The most common type of
>> comment people give is that this should be straight forward if 32-bit
>> codecs are installed. I'm running 64-bit and don't see what flags I
>> might need to set to get that?
>>
>> There is a library (libwmf) which advertises the ability to do this
>> but I don't seem to be using it in any application right now:
>>
>> * media-libs/libwmf
>>     Available versions:  0.2.8.4-r4 {{X debug doc expat xml}}
>>     Homepage:            http://wvware.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $ equery depends libwfm
>>  * These packages depend on libwfm:
>> mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $
>>

>> Anyone doing this successfully today or what to suggest how to do this?
>
> What you need is likely a combination of 'w32codecs' (which I expect
> is an ebuild somewhere) and multilib.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have a Gentoo box I can ssh into any more, at
> least until inara and/or kaylee are fixed. But I did have this kind of
> thing working on them previously.
>
> --
> :wq

That's what I remembered but I don't even see that available here:

mark [at] c2stabl ~ $ eix w32codecs
No matches found.
mark [at] c2stabl ~ $

I was thinking maybe it got incorporated into something else.

Thanks,
Mark

spideybr at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

You almost got it:

$ eix -c w32
[N] dev-util/w32api (--): Free Win32 runtime and import library definitions
$ eix -c win32
[N] media-libs/win32codecs ((~)20071007-r4): Windows 32-bit binary
codecs for video and audio playback support

It's also a use flag for vlc and mplayer (that's for my setup,
probably other players support it too), it will pull the package for
you.

dwnoon at ntlworld

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, 1 May 2012 08:52:04 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote about
[gentoo-user] convert wmv to mp4?:

[snip]
> There is a library (libwmf) which advertises the ability to do this
> but I don't seem to be using it in any application right now:
>
> * media-libs/libwmf
> Available versions: 0.2.8.4-r4 {{X debug doc expat xml}}
> Homepage: http://wvware.sourceforge.net/

Firstly, .wmf files and .wmv files are radically different.

Secondly, mencoder should be able to handle such a conversion quite
easily. Something like:
mencoder ./input_file.wmv -o ./output_file.mpeg
might do the job without further ado.

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
dwnoon [at] ntlworld (David W Noon)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

stroller at stellar

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On 1 May 2012, at 17:37, Claudio Roberto Frana Pereira wrote:

> You almost got it:
>
> $ eix -c w32
> [N] dev-util/w32api (--): Free Win32 runtime and import library definitions
> $ eix -c win32
> [N] media-libs/ ((~)20071007-r4): Windows 32-bit binary
> codecs for video and audio playback support
>

> It's also a use flag for vlc and mplayer (that's for my setup,
> probably other players support it too), it will pull the package for
> you.

I believed that upstream mplayer considered the win32codecs USE flag (or the equivalent --whatever build-time flag) to be depreciated.

AIUI win32codecs, as per the description, uses Microsoft *binary* blobs to do the decoding. If I `emerge -f win32codecs` and look inside the tarball, I see a bunch of .dll files.

I believe that mplayer will just use its own open-source decoding code in the absence of this package.

I am certainly able to play back .wmv files here without win32codecs installed. Admittedly, I'm using xbmc to do that, and haven't recently tested using VLC or mplayer, but I would avoid installing that package unless I was sure I needed it.

Stroller.

stroller at stellar

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On 1 May 2012, at 16:52, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I'm looking around on the web for ways to convert wmv files to mp4. So
> far the most common solution seems to be ffmpeg but when I try that it
> doesn't seem to understand the video files. The most common type of
> comment people give is that this should be straight forward if 32-bit
> codecs are installed. I'm running 64-bit and don't see what flags I
> might need to set to get that?

It's worth telling us *why* you want to do this. It may be better if you can avoid this conversion.

.mp4 is a container format and wikipedia tells me that WMV is a codec, but that .wmv files are usually WMV codec wrapped in an ASF container.

Since .mp4 video most always means h264 encoding, this means slow and dirty transcoding, which will inherently cause loss of video quality. You want to avoid transcoding if you can.

http://html5.xoofoo.org/video.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Video

Stroller.

mikemol at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Stroller <stroller [at] stellar> wrote:

> On 1 May 2012, at 17:37, Claudio Roberto França Pereira wrote:
>
>> You almost got it:
>>
>> $ eix -c w32
>> [N] dev-util/w32api (--): Free Win32 runtime and import library definitions
>> $ eix -c win32
>> [N] media-libs/ ((~)20071007-r4): Windows 32-bit binary
>> codecs for video and audio playback support
>>

>> It's also a use flag for vlc and mplayer (that's for my setup,
>> probably other players support it too), it will pull the package for
>> you.
>
> I believed that upstream mplayer considered the win32codecs USE flag (or the equivalent --whatever build-time flag) to be depreciated.
>
> AIUI win32codecs, as per the description, uses Microsoft *binary* blobs to do the decoding. If I `emerge -f win32codecs` and look inside the tarball, I see a bunch of .dll files.
>
> I believe that mplayer will just use its own open-source decoding code in the absence of this package.
>
> I am certainly able to play back .wmv files here without win32codecs installed. Admittedly, I'm using xbmc to do that, and haven't recently tested using VLC or mplayer, but I would avoid installing that package unless I was sure I needed it.

There are containers, and there are codecs. Containers organize and
schedule multiple media streams (be they audio or video) to be played
simultaneously in a synchronized fashion. Codecs, by contrast,
actually encode or decode media streams from one bitstream to another.
(Typically for compression purposese).

WMV, mp4, WAV, etc. are all names given to container formats. WMV
might contain h264 internally, or it might contain one of the
"Microsoft Video" codecs, or it might even contain MPEG or MPEG2. And
any of a number of different codecs.

You use a muxer to pack audio, video and text streams into a
container, and a demuxer to split them back out. mplayer, ffmpeg,
libavcodec, vlc and friends...they're all going to have good support
for just about any *container* format you might see; container formats
are easy to reverse-engineer.

The w32codecs package is about being able to decode the
patent-protected and/or not-yet-reverse-engineered *codecs* that you
can't easily get without having the DLL files from a Windows box.
Sometimes there are open-source alternatives. Sometimes there aren't.
Sometimes that's because of patent issues, sometimes that's because
there aren't enough useful samples, and sometimes that's because
nobody cares about a codec nobody's seriously used since 1997.

--
:wq

michael at orlitzky

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On 05/01/2012 11:52 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I'm looking around on the web for ways to convert wmv files to mp4. So
> far the most common solution seems to be ffmpeg but when I try that it
> doesn't seem to understand the video files. The most common type of
> comment people give is that this should be straight forward if 32-bit
> codecs are installed. I'm running 64-bit and don't see what flags I
> might need to set to get that?

Can you play the WMV?

The "wmv" extension usually indicates an ASF container, and the ASF
container can have DRM. I see them every once in a while, and
ffmpeg/mplayer have no idea what to do with them.

markknecht at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Stroller
<stroller [at] stellar> wrote:

> On 1 May 2012, at 16:52, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> I'm looking around on the web for ways to convert wmv files to mp4. So
>> far the most common solution seems to be ffmpeg but when I try that it
>> doesn't seem to understand the video files. The most common type of
>> comment people give is that this should be straight forward if 32-bit
>> codecs are installed. I'm running 64-bit and don't see what flags I
>> might need to set to get that?
>
> It's worth telling us *why* you want to do this. It may be better if you can avoid this conversion.
>
> .mp4 is a container format and wikipedia tells me that WMV is a codec, but that .wmv files are usually WMV codec wrapped in an ASF container.
>
> Since .mp4 video most always means h264 encoding, this means slow and dirty transcoding, which will inherently cause loss of video quality. You want to avoid transcoding if you can.
>
> http://html5.xoofoo.org/video.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Video
>
> Stroller.

Hi Stroller,
I subscribed to a trading service that provides 6 1/2 hour videos
of the day's market action with audio commentary for each trading day
of the week. I like this trader who does the commentary so after the
market closes I'd like to review what he thought about the day's
action. These files are available only in wmv format. They play fine
inside of a Windows VM using Windows Media Player on my Gentoo box but
I'd prefer to be able to review them in Linux using xine or some other
app.

The quality of the video and audio isn't real high to begin with. 6
1/2 hours and they only run about 50MB each. I don't think converting
to mp4 would cause me much concern. Additionally if they are mp4 I
could watch them on my Kindle Fire.

So far I've been unsuccessful with the mencoder suggestion. I'll
keep plugging away as I think I'm done with trading today anyway. Big
move. Caught most of it. Good to take a few minutes off.

Cheers,
Mark

markknecht at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael [at] orlitzky> wrote:
> On 05/01/2012 11:52 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> I'm looking around on the web for ways to convert wmv files to mp4. So
>> far the most common solution seems to be ffmpeg but when I try that it
>> doesn't seem to understand the video files. The most common type of
>> comment people give is that this should be straight forward if 32-bit
>> codecs are installed. I'm running 64-bit and don't see what flags I
>> might need to set to get that?
>>

> Can you play the WMV?
>
> The "wmv" extension usually indicates an ASF container, and the ASF
> container can have DRM. I see them every once in a while, and
> ffmpeg/mplayer have no idea what to do with them.

I Cannot play the files on my Gentoo box using Linux. No player that
I've tried so far - xine, mplayer, dragon player in KDE - none of them
play these files. However I can play the files within a Win7 VM on
this machine which is what I've been doing this morning so far. I sort
of doubt the DRM restriction on this stuff. The web site asks
subscribers not to farward these to their friends, etc., and says
subscribers are on the honor system. They appears to be simple
recordings of of his screen and audio coming from an inexpensive mic.
Nothing more.

I just got access to these files today so until this morning I didn't
even know what format they'd be in.

mikemol at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael [at] orlitzky> wrote:
>> On 05/01/2012 11:52 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>> I'm looking around on the web for ways to convert wmv files to mp4. So
>>> far the most common solution seems to be ffmpeg but when I try that it
>>> doesn't seem to understand the video files. The most common type of
>>> comment people give is that this should be straight forward if 32-bit
>>> codecs are installed. I'm running 64-bit and don't see what flags I
>>> might need to set to get that?
>>>

>> Can you play the WMV?
>>
>> The "wmv" extension usually indicates an ASF container, and the ASF
>> container can have DRM. I see them every once in a while, and
>> ffmpeg/mplayer have no idea what to do with them.
>>

> I Cannot play the files on my Gentoo box using Linux. No player that
> I've tried so far - xine, mplayer, dragon player in KDE - none of them
> play these files. However I can play the files within a Win7 VM on
> this machine which is what I've been doing this morning so far. I sort
> of doubt the DRM restriction on this stuff. The web site asks
> subscribers not to farward these to their friends, etc., and says
> subscribers are on the honor system. They appears to be simple
> recordings of of his screen and audio coming from an inexpensive mic.
> Nothing more.
>
> I just got access to these files today so until this morning I didn't
> even know what format they'd be in.

What do you get if you try 'midentify' (from mplayer) or 'midentify2'
(from mplayer2)?

--
:wq

stroller at stellar

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On 1 May 2012, at 18:51, Michael Mol wrote:

>> I am certainly able to play back .wmv files here without win32codecs installed. Admittedly, I'm using xbmc to do that, and haven't recently tested using VLC or mplayer, but I would avoid installing that package unless I was sure I needed it.
>

> WMV, mp4, WAV, etc. are all names given to container formats. WMV
> might contain h264 internally, or it might contain one of the
> "Microsoft Video" codecs,

Actually, WMV appears not to be a container format - but a family of codecs.

Apparently the .wmv files we see distributed on the net are most always WMV codec video contained in a ASF container.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.wmv

I don't believe I've ever encountered a .wmv file containing h264. One probably wouldn't actually notice, in normal use, if one did receive such a file, assuming it worked when one clicked on it.

However I find it extremely unlikely to imagine anyone putting h264 in a .wmv file (or an ASF container). We all commonly put h264 in .mp4 or .mkv containers.

> Sometimes that's because of patent issues, sometimes that's because
> there aren't enough useful samples, and sometimes that's because
> nobody cares about a codec nobody's seriously used since 1997.

I'm pretty sure we're able to play back WMV7, WMV9 / AC-1 videos without these binary decoders. It's probably not very useful to talk about codecs "nobody's seriously used since 1997." I *am* pretty sure that upstream mplayer *do* generally say "don't bother with the win32codecs". The goal here to to get Mark's video playing, and he's given no indication it's some old file he found on a 1998 system.

Stroller.

gentoo-user at hadt

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

> I just got access to these files today so until this morning I didn't
> even know what format they'd be in.

Can you provide us with a downloadable sample, or are these files private?

stroller at stellar

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On 1 May 2012, at 19:03, Mark Knecht wrote:

>> Since .mp4 video most always means h264 encoding, this means slow and dirty transcoding, which will inherently cause loss of video quality. You want to avoid transcoding if you can.
>>

> Hi Stroller,
> I subscribed to a trading service that provides 6 1/2 hour videos
> of the day's market action with audio commentary for each trading day
> of the week. I like this trader who does the commentary so after the
> market closes I'd like to review what he thought about the day's
> action. These files are available only in wmv format. They play fine
> inside of a Windows VM using Windows Media Player on my Gentoo box but
> I'd prefer to be able to review them in Linux using xine or some other
> app.

Ah, so no good alternative, then, and you probably don't care so much about video quality, as long as it's watchable.

>> The "wmv" extension usually indicates an ASF container, and the ASF
>> container can have DRM. I see them every once in a while, and
>> ffmpeg/mplayer have no idea what to do with them.
>
> I sort
> of doubt the DRM restriction on this stuff. The web site asks
> subscribers not to farward these to their friends, etc., and says
> subscribers are on the honor system. They appears to be simple
> recordings of of his screen and audio coming from an inexpensive mic.
> Nothing more.

It might well be worth trying these win32codecs, then - setting the USE flag in mplayer and re-emerging. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's worth a go. He's probably using some MS screencast software.

Stroller.

markknecht at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael [at] orlitzky> wrote:
<SNIP>
>> Can you play the WMV?
>>
>> The "wmv" extension usually indicates an ASF container, and the ASF
>> container can have DRM. I see them every once in a while, and
>> ffmpeg/mplayer have no idea what to do with them.
>>

> I Cannot play the files on my Gentoo box using Linux. No player that
> I've tried so far - xine, mplayer, dragon player in KDE - none of them
> play these files. However I can play the files within a Win7 VM on
> this machine which is what I've been doing this morning so far. I sort
> of doubt the DRM restriction on this stuff. The web site asks
> subscribers not to farward these to their friends, etc., and says
> subscribers are on the honor system. They appears to be simple
> recordings of of his screen and audio coming from an inexpensive mic.
> Nothing more.
>
> I just got access to these files today so until this morning I didn't
> even know what format they'd be in.

Expanding a bit I copied one of the files to a test directory to play
with. It seems smplayer will actually play the audio but won't display
video. midentify gives some data. When I look at the ffmpeg info it
seems to me it's also having trouble with the video portion. At least
it seems to understand the audio portion.

I'm guessing the pivot point here is the video format code:

ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2

Cheers,
Mark

mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $ midentify Test1.wmv
ID_AUDIO_ID=1
ID_VIDEO_ID=2
ID_FILENAME=Test1.wmv
ID_DEMUXER=asf
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=4971000
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1366
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=740
ID_VIDEO_FPS=1000.000
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=353
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
ID_AUDIO_RATE=0
ID_AUDIO_NCH=0
ID_START_TIME=5.00
ID_LENGTH=9130.09
ID_SEEKABLE=1
ID_CHAPTERS=0
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=20008
ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
ID_AUDIO_NCH=1
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=ffwmav2
ID_EXIT=EOF
mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $

[...]
At least one output file must be specified
mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

Mark,

I have about every plugin/codec installed that I could find. Is this
video publicly available? If it is, I'd be glad to download it and see
what I can come up with. If not, you could email it to me, off list of
course, and let me play with it. I might be able to get something out
of it and let you know what I have installed to make it work, IF it
works here.

Let's not forget that HUGE USE flag line I have. ^_^

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

markknecht at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user [at] hadt> wrote:
>> I just got access to these files today so until this morning I didn't
>> even know what format they'd be in.
>
> Can you provide us with a downloadable sample, or are these files private?

Technically they're private but it's not like sharing one file from a
month ago to one person somewhere is going to cause anyone any great
pain. (IMO only...)

Before I'd waste any more time in the Gentoo community, unless someone
_really_ wants to work on this off list, I'll probably look for
possible open source or demo programs I could run in the Win7 VM. It's
not important to me where I do the conversion - just that I get them
converted.

I found a web site that does it here:

http://www.mediaconverter.org

It's been grinding away on the first file for 20 minutes and it's
about 30% of the way done. If that works it looks like it supports
batch conversion and could just let it run unattended. It's slow, but
that's not important to me really.

Thanks,
Mark

mikemol at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Stroller <stroller [at] stellar> wrote:

> On 1 May 2012, at 18:51, Michael Mol wrote:
>>> …
>>> I am certainly able to play back .wmv files here without win32codecs installed. Admittedly, I'm using xbmc to do that, and haven't recently tested using VLC or mplayer, but I would avoid installing that package unless I was sure I needed it.
>>
>> …
>> WMV, mp4, WAV, etc. are all names given to container formats. WMV
>> might contain h264 internally, or it might contain one of the
>> "Microsoft Video" codecs, …
>
> Actually, WMV appears not to be a container format - but a family of codecs.
>
> Apparently the .wmv files we see distributed on the net are most always WMV codec video contained in a ASF container.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.wmv

Ah, right, my mistake.

> I don't believe I've ever encountered a .wmv file containing h264. One probably wouldn't actually notice, in normal use, if one did receive such a file, assuming it worked when one clicked on it.
>
> However I find it extremely unlikely to imagine anyone putting h264 in a .wmv file (or an ASF container). We all commonly put h264 in .mp4 or .mkv containers.

You've never been deep into AMVs, I take it. If a codec can be shoved
into a container, I've probably had a sample of it at one time or
another.

>> Sometimes that's because of patent issues, sometimes that's because
>> there aren't enough useful samples, and sometimes that's because
>> nobody cares about a codec nobody's seriously used since 1997.
>
> I'm pretty sure we're able to play back WMV7, WMV9 / AC-1 videos without these binary decoders. It's probably not very useful to talk about codecs "nobody's seriously used since 1997." I *am* pretty sure that upstream mplayer *do* generally say "don't bother with the win32codecs".

Actually, a lot of upstream hacks on stuff for reasons ranging from
completeness to plain and simple fun. Check out multimedia.cx, follow
the blogs.

> The goal here to to get Mark's video playing, and he's given no indication it's some old file he found on a 1998 system.

Sure. But when I give an explanation, I give background. Give a fire,
teach to make a fire...Gentoo tends to be far more about teaching to
make fires than simply providing them. Though sometimes it uses you
for kindling.

--
:wq

mikemol at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael [at] orlitzky> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>> Can you play the WMV?
>>>
>>> The "wmv" extension usually indicates an ASF container, and the ASF
>>> container can have DRM. I see them every once in a while, and
>>> ffmpeg/mplayer have no idea what to do with them.
>>>

>> I Cannot play the files on my Gentoo box using Linux. No player that
>> I've tried so far - xine, mplayer, dragon player in KDE - none of them
>> play these files. However I can play the files within a Win7 VM on
>> this machine which is what I've been doing this morning so far. I sort
>> of doubt the DRM restriction on this stuff. The web site asks
>> subscribers not to farward these to their friends, etc., and says
>> subscribers are on the honor system. They appears to be simple
>> recordings of of his screen and audio coming from an inexpensive mic.
>> Nothing more.
>>
>> I just got access to these files today so until this morning I didn't
>> even know what format they'd be in.
>
> Expanding a bit I copied one of the files to a test directory to play
> with. It seems smplayer will actually play the audio but won't display
> video. midentify gives some data. When I look at the ffmpeg info it
> seems to me it's also having trouble with the video portion. At least
> it seems to understand the audio portion.
>
> I'm guessing the pivot point here is the video format code:
>
> ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>
> mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $ midentify Test1.wmv
> ID_AUDIO_ID=1
> ID_VIDEO_ID=2
> ID_FILENAME=Test1.wmv
> ID_DEMUXER=asf
> ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
> ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=4971000
> ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1366
> ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=740
> ID_VIDEO_FPS=1000.000
> ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
> ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=353
> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
> ID_AUDIO_RATE=0
> ID_AUDIO_NCH=0
> ID_START_TIME=5.00
> ID_LENGTH=9130.09
> ID_SEEKABLE=1
> ID_CHAPTERS=0
> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=20008
> ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
> ID_AUDIO_NCH=1
> ID_AUDIO_CODEC=ffwmav2
> ID_EXIT=EOF
> mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $

http://wiki.debian.org/WindowsMediaVideo

Videos with the MSS2 FOURCC should be playable with the w32codecs package.

--
:wq

markknecht at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael [at] orlitzky> wrote:
>> <SNIP>

>>> I Cannot play the files on my Gentoo box using Linux. No player that
>>> I've tried so far - xine, mplayer, dragon player in KDE - none of them
>>> play these files. However I can play the files within a Win7 VM on
>>> this machine which is what I've been doing this morning so far. I sort
>>> of doubt the DRM restriction on this stuff. The web site asks
>>> subscribers not to farward these to their friends, etc., and says
>>> subscribers are on the honor system. They appears to be simple
>>> recordings of of his screen and audio coming from an inexpensive mic.
>>> Nothing more.
>>>
>>> I just got access to these files today so until this morning I didn't
>>> even know what format they'd be in.
>>
>> Expanding a bit I copied one of the files to a test directory to play
>> with. It seems smplayer will actually play the audio but won't display
>> video. midentify gives some data. When I look at the ffmpeg info it
>> seems to me it's also having trouble with the video portion. At least
>> it seems to understand the audio portion.
>>
>> I'm guessing the pivot point here is the video format code:
>>
>> ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>
>> mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $ midentify Test1.wmv
>> ID_AUDIO_ID=1
>> ID_VIDEO_ID=2
>> ID_FILENAME=Test1.wmv
>> ID_DEMUXER=asf
>> ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
>> ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=4971000
>> ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1366
>> ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=740
>> ID_VIDEO_FPS=1000.000
>> ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
>> ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=353
>> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
>> ID_AUDIO_RATE=0
>> ID_AUDIO_NCH=0
>> ID_START_TIME=5.00
>> ID_LENGTH=9130.09
>> ID_SEEKABLE=1
>> ID_CHAPTERS=0
>> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=20008
>> ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
>> ID_AUDIO_NCH=1
>> ID_AUDIO_CODEC=ffwmav2
>> ID_EXIT=EOF
>> mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/WindowsMediaVideo
>
> Videos with the MSS2 FOURCC should be playable with the w32codecs package.
>

> --
> :wq

Notice the (-win32codecs) flag. Seems to me (on this system anyway)
they are hard masked off? I tried adding the flag to package.use but
emerge won't enable the darn thing...

I'll try another system after the market closes and I have some time.

Thanks,
Mark

mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $ emerge -pv mplayer

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1 USE="X a52
alsa ass cdio dirac dts dv dvd dvdnav enca encode faac faad gif iconv
jpeg jpeg2k live mad mmx mng mp3 network opengl osdmenu png quicktime
rar real rtc schroedinger sdl shm speex sse sse2 ssse3 theora toolame
tremor truetype twolame unicode vorbis x264 xinerama xscreensaver xv
xvid xvmc -3dnow -3dnowext -aalib (-altivec) -amr (-aqua) -bidi
-bindist -bl -bluray -bs2b -cddb -cdparanoia -cpudetection
-custom-cpuopts -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dvb -dxr3 -fbcon -ftp -ggi
-gsm -ipv6 -jack -joystick -ladspa -libcaca -libmpeg2 -lirc -lzo
-md5sum -mmxext -mpg123 -nas -nut -openal -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr
-radio -rtmp -samba -tga -v4l -vdpau (-vidix) -vpx (-win32codecs)
-xanim -zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="-mga -s3virge -tdfx -vesa" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
mark [at] c2stabl ~/WMV-Test $

neil at digimed

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, 1 May 2012 12:30:11 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Notice the (-win32codecs) flag. Seems to me (on this system anyway)
> they are hard masked off? I tried adding the flag to package.use but
> emerge won't enable the darn thing...

You need to unmask the USE flag first, by adding -win32codecs
to /etc/portage/profile/use.mask

--
Neil Bothwick

How do you know when it's time to tune your bagpipes?
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil [at] digimed> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 May 2012 12:30:11 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Notice the (-win32codecs) flag. Seems to me (on this system anyway)
>> they are hard masked off? I tried adding the flag to package.use but
>> emerge won't enable the darn thing...
>
> You need to unmask the USE flag first, by adding -win32codecs
> to /etc/portage/profile/use.mask

If he is using amd64 he can't use win32codecs unless he uses a 32-bit
mplayer/ffmpeg. AFAIK.

mikemol at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil [at] digimed> wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 May 2012 12:30:11 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> Notice the (-win32codecs) flag. Seems to me (on this system anyway)
>>> they are hard masked off? I tried adding the flag to package.use but
>>> emerge won't enable the darn thing...
>>
>> You need to unmask the USE flag first, by adding -win32codecs
>> to /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
>
> If he is using amd64 he can't use win32codecs unless he uses a 32-bit
> mplayer/ffmpeg. AFAIK.

Wouldn't using multilib work around this?

--
:wq

paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail

Re: convert wmv to mp4? [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> You need to unmask the USE flag first, by adding -win32codecs
>>> to /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
>>
>> If he is using amd64 he can't use win32codecs unless he uses a 32-bit
>> mplayer/ffmpeg. AFAIK.
>
> Wouldn't using multilib work around this?

I think he would still need to compile a 32-bit mplayer/ffmpeg (in a
32-bit chroot) to be able to make use of them. Multilib would let him
run 32-bit mplayer or ffmpeg binaries (which themselves would be able
to use the 32-bit DLLs). But I don't think 64-bit mplayer/ffmpeg can
call 32-bit DLLs.

There is an amd64codecs package containing the 64-bit codecs, but it
has been masked and made obsolete by the fact that mplayer/ffmpeg can
natively do most (or all?) of those codecs these days.