Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

Please help, kernel can not load root

anikevicius at gmail

Please help, kernel can not load root

Hello,

it's been several since I have tried to make my machine boot again without
any live CDs and I could not narrow the main issue down. The problem is
that the kernel can not mount the root partition.

Some info about my system:
running ~amd64
kernel: gentoo-sources-3.3.3
bootloader: grub2-9999 (grub.cfg generated with grub2-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg)
root partition is ext4, but ext4 is built into kernel
I have a separate /boot partition

my grub.cfg can be found here:
http://pastebin.com/nm6HCkpM

I have written down some log messages from the last boot. Sorry if
something is not 100% accurate as I took a crappy picture with my phone and
tried to rewrite everything:
http://pastebin.com/0zQN6X5t

I would very appreciate someones help.

Thanks,
Ignas A.

poisonbl at gmail

Re: Please help, kernel can not load root [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 14:35, Ignas Anikevičius <anikevicius [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it's been several since I have tried to make my machine boot again without
> any live CDs and I could not narrow the main issue down. The problem is that
> the kernel can not mount the root partition.
>
> Some info about my system:
> running ~amd64
> kernel: gentoo-sources-3.3.3
> bootloader: grub2-9999 (grub.cfg generated with grub2-mkconfig -o
> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg)
> root partition is ext4, but ext4 is built into kernel
> I have a separate /boot partition
>
> my grub.cfg can be found here:
> http://pastebin.com/nm6HCkpM
>
> I have written down some log messages from the last boot. Sorry if something
> is not 100% accurate as I took a crappy picture with my phone and tried to
> rewrite everything:
> http://pastebin.com/0zQN6X5t
>
> I would very appreciate someones help.
>
> Thanks,
> Ignas A.

At a glance, looks like your kernel doesn't include a driver for your
drive controller, given the panic you're getting. If you have another
kernel sitting around on your /boot, you can edit your grub entry on
the fly, boot to that, and give your kernel config for the new kernel
a quick check for whichever driver it is you should be running.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

w41ter at gmail

Re: Please help, kernel can not load root [In reply to]

On 04/29/2012 11:35 AM, Ignas Anikevičius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it's been several since I have tried to make my machine boot again
> without any live CDs and I could not narrow the main issue down. The
> problem is that the kernel can not mount the root partition.

The error message is unknown block(2,0), which may mean that your
kernel lacks a driver for your disk controller. IIRC the kernel
config menu for block devices has changed. Maybe you need to
set CONFIG_ATA or some other obscure item in your kernel config
to make the correct driver visible?

anikevicius at gmail

Re: Re: Please help, kernel can not load root [In reply to]

On 29 April 2012 19:21, walt <w41ter [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 04/29/2012 11:35 AM, Ignas Anikevičius wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > it's been several since I have tried to make my machine boot again
> > without any live CDs and I could not narrow the main issue down. The
> > problem is that the kernel can not mount the root partition.
>
> The error message is unknown block(2,0), which may mean that your
> kernel lacks a driver for your disk controller. IIRC the kernel
> config menu for block devices has changed. Maybe you need to
> set CONFIG_ATA or some other obscure item in your kernel config
> to make the correct driver visible?

OK, How to find out which controller I am using at the moment whilst using
a live CD? I have successfully chrooted into my system from a Mint Live CD,
so I should be able to inspect my system either using Mint utilities or the
Gentoo ones.

Thanks,
Ignas

h.v.bruinehsen at fu-berlin

Re: Re: Please help, kernel can not load root [In reply to]

neil at digimed

Re: Re: Please help, kernel can not load root [In reply to]

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:42:14 +0000, Ignas Anikevičius wrote:

> OK, How to find out which controller I am using at the moment whilst
> using a live CD?

lspci -k

The -k shows the modules in use for each device.

Incidentally, don't use pastebin for error messages, include them in
your mail so they are still there when the mail is read from the
archives.

--
Neil Bothwick

"I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away"
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

anikevicius at gmail

Re: Re: Please help, kernel can not load root [In reply to]

On 29 April 2012 20:05, Neil Bothwick <neil [at] digimed> wrote:

> lspci -k
>
> The -k shows the modules in use for each device.

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. Actually the AHCI module
was already compiled in, so I do not know what is happening, but we'll see
what happens with the next boot.

Incidentally, don't use pastebin for error messages, include them in
> your mail so they are still there when the mail is read from the
> archives.

Thank for letting me know. I will do it next time.

Cheers,
Ignas A.

anikevicius at gmail

Re: Please help, kernel can not load root [In reply to]

On 29 April 2012 18:35, Ignas Anikevičius <anikevicius [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it's been several since I have tried to make my machine boot again without
> any live CDs and I could not narrow the main issue down. The problem is
> that the kernel can not mount the root partition.
>
> Some info about my system:
> running ~amd64
> kernel: gentoo-sources-3.3.3
> bootloader: grub2-9999 (grub.cfg generated with grub2-mkconfig -o
> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg)
> root partition is ext4, but ext4 is built into kernel
> I have a separate /boot partition
>
> my grub.cfg can be found here:
> http://pastebin.com/nm6HCkpM
>
> I have written down some log messages from the last boot. Sorry if
> something is not 100% accurate as I took a crappy picture with my phone and
> tried to rewrite everything:
> http://pastebin.com/0zQN6X5t
>
> I would very appreciate someones help.
>
> Thanks,
> Ignas A.

Hello to everybody once more. I gave it ago and installed drivers for all
storage related controllers, but nothing has changed. As I understand, the
hdd is recognized, so I do not know where to look now.

The log can be see in this image:
http://s10.postimage.org/hieljd661/29042012017.jpg

I tried to rewrite it here:
ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ...
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA WDC WD3200...
ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata2.00: ACPI cmd ...
ata2.00: ATAPI: Optiarc DVD RW AD-...
..
ata2.00: configured for UDMA/100
scsi 1:0:0:0: CD-ROM
registered taskstats version 1
Magic number...
pci_link ... : hash matches
console ... enabled
netconsole: network logging started
Root-NFS: no NFS server address
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda7" or unknown-block(2,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option: here are the available
partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(2,0)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.3.3-gentoo #7
Call Trace:
... panic
... ? printk
... mount_block_root
... mount_root
... prepare_namespace
... kernel_init
... kernel_thread
... ? start_kernel
... ? gs_change
panic occured, switching back to text console

Ignas

poisonbl at gmail

Re: Re: Please help, kernel can not load root [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 20:11, Ignas Anikevičius <anikevicius [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 29 April 2012 18:35, Ignas Anikevičius <anikevicius [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> it's been several since I have tried to make my machine boot again without
>> any live CDs and I could not narrow the main issue down. The problem is that
>> the kernel can not mount the root partition.
>>
>> Some info about my system:
>> running ~amd64
>> kernel: gentoo-sources-3.3.3
>> bootloader: grub2-9999 (grub.cfg generated with grub2-mkconfig -o
>> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg)
>> root partition is ext4, but ext4 is built into kernel
>> I have a separate /boot partition
>>
>> my grub.cfg can be found here:
>> http://pastebin.com/nm6HCkpM
>>
>> I have written down some log messages from the last boot. Sorry if
>> something is not 100% accurate as I took a crappy picture with my phone and
>> tried to rewrite everything:
>> http://pastebin.com/0zQN6X5t
>>
>> I would very appreciate someones help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ignas A.
>

> Hello to everybody once more. I gave it ago and installed drivers for all
> storage related controllers, but nothing has changed. As I understand, the
> hdd is recognized, so I do not know where to look now.
>
> The log can be see in this image:
> http://s10.postimage.org/hieljd661/29042012017.jpg
>
> I tried to rewrite it here:
> ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
> ata1.00: ACPI cmd ...
> ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
> scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA WDC WD3200...
> ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
> ata2.00: ACPI cmd ...
> ata2.00: ATAPI: Optiarc DVD RW AD-...
> ..
> ata2.00: configured for UDMA/100
> scsi 1:0:0:0: CD-ROM
> registered taskstats version 1
>     Magic number...
> pci_link ... : hash matches
> console ... enabled
> netconsole: network logging started
> Root-NFS: no NFS server address
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda7" or unknown-block(2,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option: here are the available
> partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(2,0)
> Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.3.3-gentoo #7
> Call Trace:
>     ... panic
>     ... ? printk
>     ... mount_block_root
>     ... mount_root
>     ... prepare_namespace
>     ... kernel_init
>     ... kernel_thread
>     ... ? start_kernel
>     ... ? gs_change
> panic occured, switching back to text console
>
> Thanks,
> Ignas

Well, going through the list that comes to mind after that... the
block device itself, since the scsi layer sees the device but the VFS
layer doesn't see the block device:
CONFIG_BLOCK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

anikevicius at gmail

Re: Re: Please help, kernel can not load root [In reply to]

> Well, going through the list that comes to mind after that... the
> block device itself, since the scsi layer sees the device but the VFS
> layer doesn't see the block device:
> CONFIG_BLOCK=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

Thanks, it was actually compiled as a module. That crept in when I was
trying to make make my cdrom work if I connect it after I load the kernel.
Somehow it just does not work if it is not present during boot time. As you
saw from the log, it is connected via SATA interface.

Well, I'll try to boot a kernel with this thing compiled in and will see
how it goes.

Thanks a lot,
Ignas

anikevicius at gmail

Re: Re: Please help, kernel can not load root [In reply to]

> Well, going through the list that comes to mind after that... the
> block device itself, since the scsi layer sees the device but the VFS
> layer doesn't see the block device:
> CONFIG_BLOCK=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

I wanted just to let everybody know, that this was the solution to my
problems. Thanks a lot to those who helped.

Cheers,
Ignas