Anyone setup Gentoo on an Archos 101

wireless at tampabay

Anyone setup Gentoo on an Archos 101

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/tabletpc.html?country=kg&lang=en

I'm just curious if anyone has attempted to put Gentoo
on any Archos tablet.

James

robert.david.public at gmail

Re: Anyone setup Gentoo on an Archos 101 [In reply to]

Nice project. I dont know this tablet, but I have similar project that
want to realize when time will arrive. I have Asus eee note, nice
grayscale tablet with wacom digitizer. I want to make some guide and
build environment to prepare image for that.

If you want to install gentoo there, I suggest you collect as much
information about the hardware, how and where kernel can be placed.
Create virtual environment to build the image (qemu). Also get as much
information how are the possibilities to debug and recover, if
something goes wrong.

Robert.

V Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:46:51 +0000 (UTC)
James <wireless [at] tampabay> napsáno:

> http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/tabletpc.html?country=kg&lang=en
>

> I'm just curious if anyone has attempted to put Gentoo
> on any Archos tablet.
>

> James

eliezer at ngtech

Re: Anyone setup Gentoo on an Archos 101 [In reply to]

On 24/04/2012 21:46, James wrote:

> http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/tabletpc.html?country=kg&lang=en
>

> I'm just curious if anyone has attempted to put Gentoo
> on any Archos tablet.
>

> James

i have one and i dont want to risk it's usage with gentoo.
i know that there is an ubunut version that works on it but just
installing gentoo like this can be tough.

--
Eliezer Croitoru
https://www1.ngtech.co.il

w41ter at gmail

Re: Anyone setup Gentoo on an Archos 101 [In reply to]

On 04/24/2012 01:07 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> On 24/04/2012 21:46, James wrote:
>>

>> http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/tabletpc.html?country=kg&lang=en

I'm just curious if anyone has attempted to put Gentoo
>> on any Archos tablet.
>>

>> James
>>

> i have one and i dont want to risk it's usage with gentoo. i know
> that there is an ubunut version that works on it but just installing
> gentoo like this can be tough.

This is the first I've heard of Archos, and it seems to me like a great idea.

The company says you can install any OS you want, and you can even dual-boot
OS's -- so that *seems* to imply that you can re-install the factory OS if
your experiments go bad. Am I being too optimistic here?

eliezer at ngtech

Re: Re: Anyone setup Gentoo on an Archos 101 [In reply to]

On 25/04/2012 01:49, walt wrote:
> On 04/24/2012 01:07 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
>> On 24/04/2012 21:46, James wrote:
>>>

>>> http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/tabletpc.html?country=kg&lang=en
>>>

> I'm just curious if anyone has attempted to put Gentoo
>>> on any Archos tablet.
>>>

>>> James
>>>

>> i have one and i dont want to risk it's usage with gentoo. i know
>> that there is an ubunut version that works on it but just installing
>> gentoo like this can be tough.
>
> This is the first I've heard of Archos, and it seems to me like a great idea.
>
> The company says you can install any OS you want, and you can even dual-boot
> OS's -- so that *seems* to imply that you can re-install the factory OS if
> your experiments go bad. Am I being too optimistic here?

well it's kind of more then simple to restore cause they have some
"bios" like thing that you can restore the device basic os with it.
but the thing is that it works with initramfs and some rootfs that i
dont even know how to understand.
so i left it as is.

--
Eliezer Croitoru
https://www1.ngtech.co.il

mikemol at gmail

Re: Re: Anyone setup Gentoo on an Archos 101 [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:49 PM, walt <w41ter [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 04/24/2012 01:07 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
>> On 24/04/2012 21:46, James wrote:
>>>

>>> http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/tabletpc.html?country=kg&lang=en
>>>

> I'm just curious if anyone has attempted to put Gentoo
>>> on any Archos tablet.
>>>

>>> James
>>>

>> i have one and i dont want to risk it's usage with gentoo. i know
>> that there is an ubunut version that works on it but just installing
>> gentoo like this can be tough.
>
> This is the first I've heard of Archos, and it seems to me like a great idea.
>
> The company says you can install any OS you want, and you can even dual-boot
> OS's -- so that *seems* to imply that you can re-install the factory OS if
> your experiments go bad.  Am I being too optimistic here?

They've been fairly open for ages. When I was in high school, they had
a portable MP3/MPEG player out that you could put Linux on. This was
just after the first-gen iPod, IIRC, and long before the iPod Touch
was a glimmer in Jobs' eye.

--
:wq

wireless at tampabay

Re: Anyone setup Gentoo on an Archos 101 [In reply to]

Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer <at> ngtech.co.il> writes:

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/tabletpc.html?country=kg&lang=en

> >> i have one and i dont want to risk it's usage with gentoo.
> > This is the first I've heard of Archos, and it seems to me like a great idea.

> > The company says you can install any OS you want, and you can even dual-boot
> > OS's -- so that *seems* to imply that you can re-install the factory OS if
> > your experiments go bad. Am I being too optimistic here?

> well it's kind of more then simple to restore cause they have some
> "bios" like thing that you can restore the device basic os with it.
> but the thing is that it works with initramfs and some rootfs that i
> dont even know how to understand.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to ponder this a bit more.

James