Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

genkernel assistance building initramfs

mikemol at gmail

genkernel assistance building initramfs

So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my own
initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want my
systems ready before that.

Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like the
command I need to run is:

genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs

and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.

The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
#gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:

13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on your system

I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file a
bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically says
not to file build errors as bug reports.

So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut is
still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
working.

I've attached genkernel.log

--
:wq
Attachments: genkernel.log (62.2 KB)

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

Michael Mol wrote:
> So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
> really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my own
> initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want my
> systems ready before that.
>
> Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like the
> command I need to run is:
>
> genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs
>
> and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.
>
> The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
> #gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:
>
> 13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
> 13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on your system
>
> I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file a
> bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically says
> not to file build errors as bug reports.
>
> So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut is
> still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
> working.
>
> I've attached genkernel.log

If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still support
/usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went through, we may
not need the init thingy after all.

Go figure.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

h.v.bruinehsen at fu-berlin

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

a6702894 at unet

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:26:57 -0500
Dale <rdalek1967 [at] gmail> wrote:

> Michael Mol wrote:
> > So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
> > really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my
> > own initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want my
> > systems ready before that.
> >
> > Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like the
> > command I need to run is:
> >
> > genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs
> >
> > and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.
> >
> > The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
> > #gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:
> >
> > 13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
> > 13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on your
> > system
> >
> > I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file a
> > bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically
> > says not to file build errors as bug reports.
> >
> > So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut is
> > still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
> > working.
> >
> > I've attached genkernel.log
> >

> If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still support
> /usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went through, we may
> not need the init thingy after all.
>
> Go figure.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

I wouldn't bet on that.

But there is a detailed gentoo howto to create an iniramfs
that does just that: load /usr.
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
It works. You only need tell your bootloader that now you
have an initramfs.
There's also a more general introduction
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
for a lot of other options

michael

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

Michael Scherer wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:26:57 -0500
> Dale <rdalek1967 [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Michael Mol wrote:
>>> So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
>>> really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my
>>> own initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want my
>>> systems ready before that.
>>>
>>> Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like the
>>> command I need to run is:
>>>
>>> genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs
>>>
>>> and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.
>>>
>>> The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
>>> #gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:
>>>
>>> 13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
>>> 13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on your
>>> system
>>>
>>> I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file a
>>> bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically
>>> says not to file build errors as bug reports.
>>>
>>> So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut is
>>> still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
>>> working.
>>>
>>> I've attached genkernel.log
>>>

>> If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still support
>> /usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went through, we may
>> not need the init thingy after all.
>>
>> Go figure.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>

> I wouldn't bet on that.
>
> But there is a detailed gentoo howto to create an iniramfs
> that does just that: load /usr.
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
> It works. You only need tell your bootloader that now you
> have an initramfs.
> There's also a more general introduction
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
> for a lot of other options
>
> michael

I'm not betting on it but that is what the Gentoo council voted on and
it said that /usr on a separate partition was going to be supported.

You must have missed the HUGE thread where I was trying to get a init
thingy to work huh?

Dale

:-) :-)

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:01:09 -0500
Dale <rdalek1967 [at] gmail> wrote:

> Michael Scherer wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:26:57 -0500
> > Dale <rdalek1967 [at] gmail> wrote:

> >> If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still
> >> support /usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went
> >> through, we may not need the init thingy after all.
> >>
> >> Go figure.
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-) :-)
> >>

> > I wouldn't bet on that.
> >
> > But there is a detailed gentoo howto to create an iniramfs
> > that does just that: load /usr.
> > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
> > It works. You only need tell your bootloader that now you
> > have an initramfs.
> > There's also a more general introduction
> > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
> > for a lot of other options
> >
> > michael
> >

> I'm not betting on it but that is what the Gentoo council voted on and
> it said that /usr on a separate partition was going to be supported.
>
> You must have missed the HUGE thread where I was trying to get a init
> thingy to work huh?
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Indeed, I missed all but one email, but there was no hint
at all that anything had been said before I came in.
Sorry for my unsolicited comments, and I hope you have
solved that problem in one or another way.

michael

neil at digimed

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:52:41 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:

> So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
> really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my own
> initramfs,

The kernel make process can create the initramfs for you, although you
have to give it a configuration and init file to work with. Everything
else is done automatically, including the current versions of all
required files in the kernel.

--
Neil Bothwick

What colour is a chameleon on a mirror?
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

Michael Scherer wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:01:09 -0500
> Dale <rdalek1967 [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Michael Scherer wrote:

>>> I wouldn't bet on that.
>>>
>>> But there is a detailed gentoo howto to create an iniramfs
>>> that does just that: load /usr.
>>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
>>> It works. You only need tell your bootloader that now you
>>> have an initramfs.
>>> There's also a more general introduction
>>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
>>> for a lot of other options
>>>
>>> michael
>>>

>> I'm not betting on it but that is what the Gentoo council voted on and
>> it said that /usr on a separate partition was going to be supported.
>>
>> You must have missed the HUGE thread where I was trying to get a init
>> thingy to work huh?
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>

> Indeed, I missed all but one email, but there was no hint
> at all that anything had been said before I came in.
> Sorry for my unsolicited comments, and I hope you have
> solved that problem in one or another way.
>
> michael

I meant to put a "LOL" after the comment about the huge thread. I'm not
sure how I missed that. :/ I did get it to work finally. It took
several peoples help and a hammer on my part. ;-)

I'm just curious as to how they are going to support this in the future.
I have read where some say it can be done but others say it can't, or
not easily. Old saying, this is where the rubber meets the road. ^_^

To the OP. I would use dracut. I ran into trouble but I found out
later that a earlier attempt at a init thingy was causing the dracut
init thingy to mess up. I strongly suspect that if I had known to get
rid of the previous attempt, it would have worked the first time. My
previous attempt was the one that was built into the kernel itself.
Lets just say there was a huge fight and I missed it. Grub was telling
one thing to load and the kernel was trying to load something else. I'm
sure it was a nice fight.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

kenny97821419 at gmail

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

Hi,

According to the genkernel.log, it would be the problem that someone posted
on forum with solution.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858613-highlight-.html

Just a word, I have been using genkernel for years and satisfy with it.

Kenny Cheng

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:

> So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
> really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my own
> initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want my
> systems ready before that.
>
> Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like the
> command I need to run is:
>
> genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs
>
> and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.
>
> The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
> #gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:
>
> 13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
> 13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on your system
>
> I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file a
> bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically says
> not to file build errors as bug reports.
>
> So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut is
> still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
> working.
>
> I've attached genkernel.log
>
> --
> :wq

mikemol at gmail

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Dale <rdalek1967 [at] gmail> wrote:
> To the OP.  I would use dracut.  I ran into trouble but I found out
> later that a earlier attempt at a init thingy was causing the dracut
> init thingy to mess up.  I strongly suspect that if I had known to get
> rid of the previous attempt, it would have worked the first time.  My
> previous attempt was the one that was built into the kernel itself.
> Lets just say there was a huge fight and I missed it.  Grub was telling
> one thing to load and the kernel was trying to load something else.  I'm
> sure it was a nice fight.

The principal reason I'm not using dracut:

* sys-kernel/dracut
Available versions: ~014-r2!t ~017-r1!t ~017-r2!t ~017-r3!t
~018!t {debug device-mapper dracut_modules_biosdevname
dracut_modules_btrfs dracut_modules_caps dracut_modules_crypt
dracut_modules_crypt-gpg dracut_modules_dmraid
dracut_modules_dmsquash-live dracut_modules_gensplash
dracut_modules_iscsi dracut_modules_livenet dracut_modules_lvm
dracut_modules_mdraid dracut_modules_multipath dracut_modules_nbd
dracut_modules_nfs dracut_modules_plymouth dracut_modules_ssh-client
dracut_modules_syslog net selinux}
Homepage: http://dracut.wiki.kernel.org

None of the versions have been marked stable. Genkernel, on the other hand, has.

--
:wq

caneko at gmail

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
>> To the OP.  I would use dracut.  I ran into trouble but I found out
>> later that a earlier attempt at a init thingy was causing the dracut
>> init thingy to mess up.  I strongly suspect that if I had known to get
>> rid of the previous attempt, it would have worked the first time.  My
>> previous attempt was the one that was built into the kernel itself.
>> Lets just say there was a huge fight and I missed it.  Grub was telling
>> one thing to load and the kernel was trying to load something else.  I'm
>> sure it was a nice fight.
>
> The principal reason I'm not using dracut:
>
> * sys-kernel/dracut
>     Available versions:  ~014-r2!t ~017-r1!t ~017-r2!t ~017-r3!t
> ~018!t {debug device-mapper dracut_modules_biosdevname
> dracut_modules_btrfs dracut_modules_caps dracut_modules_crypt
> dracut_modules_crypt-gpg dracut_modules_dmraid
> dracut_modules_dmsquash-live dracut_modules_gensplash
> dracut_modules_iscsi dracut_modules_livenet dracut_modules_lvm
> dracut_modules_mdraid dracut_modules_multipath dracut_modules_nbd
> dracut_modules_nfs dracut_modules_plymouth dracut_modules_ssh-client
> dracut_modules_syslog net selinux}
>     Homepage:            http://dracut.wiki.kernel.org
>
> None of the versions have been marked stable. Genkernel, on the other hand, has.

That makes almost no sense. You say that you are planning on using an
initramfs because "udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable". That for
sure will *not* happen *before* dracut hits stable.

I would try dracut. Besides, as I said in another similar thread, an
initramfs is one of the most secure things to prove: you add a new
entry in grub-legacy/GRUB2, and try to boot. Doesn't work? Get back to
your previous entry.

Dracut depends on udev-164; everything else on its depend list is
stable, I believe. Try it, and if doesn't work easily, go back to
genkernel.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>>> To the OP. I would use dracut. I ran into trouble but I found out
>>> later that a earlier attempt at a init thingy was causing the dracut
>>> init thingy to mess up. I strongly suspect that if I had known to get
>>> rid of the previous attempt, it would have worked the first time. My
>>> previous attempt was the one that was built into the kernel itself.
>>> Lets just say there was a huge fight and I missed it. Grub was telling
>>> one thing to load and the kernel was trying to load something else. I'm
>>> sure it was a nice fight.
>>
>> The principal reason I'm not using dracut:
>>
>> * sys-kernel/dracut
>> Available versions: ~014-r2!t ~017-r1!t ~017-r2!t ~017-r3!t
>> ~018!t {debug device-mapper dracut_modules_biosdevname
>> dracut_modules_btrfs dracut_modules_caps dracut_modules_crypt
>> dracut_modules_crypt-gpg dracut_modules_dmraid
>> dracut_modules_dmsquash-live dracut_modules_gensplash
>> dracut_modules_iscsi dracut_modules_livenet dracut_modules_lvm
>> dracut_modules_mdraid dracut_modules_multipath dracut_modules_nbd
>> dracut_modules_nfs dracut_modules_plymouth dracut_modules_ssh-client
>> dracut_modules_syslog net selinux}
>> Homepage: http://dracut.wiki.kernel.org
>>
>> None of the versions have been marked stable. Genkernel, on the other hand, has.
>
> That makes almost no sense. You say that you are planning on using an
> initramfs because "udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable". That for
> sure will *not* happen *before* dracut hits stable.
>
> I would try dracut. Besides, as I said in another similar thread, an
> initramfs is one of the most secure things to prove: you add a new
> entry in grub-legacy/GRUB2, and try to boot. Doesn't work? Get back to
> your previous entry.
>
> Dracut depends on udev-164; everything else on its depend list is
> stable, I believe. Try it, and if doesn't work easily, go back to
> genkernel.
>
> Regards.

I was thinking the same thing. As everyone knows, I did my switch a
week or so ago. I found it funny that someone wants to get ahead of the
future without using future tools. Of course, there is more than one
way to skin this cat too. ;-)

I might also add, genkernel is stable and has been for ages. It's been
a while since I tried it but the last time I did, it failed miserably.
It 'claimed' everything worked fine but when I booted, it failed. I got
the old blinky keyboard lights treatment. :/

Just because something isn't marked stable doesn't mean it doesn't work.
I would guess that half the stuff on my system as I type, is not
stable. That would include all of KDE, portage and related tools plus
no telling how many other deps that got pulled in.

Time to eat. That init thingy sucked it out of me a while back. After
a week of snacking on quick junk food, I'm hungry. I actually went
outside yesterday. o_O

Dale

:-) :-)

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

So you solved it.
It would be nice then to adorn your subject lines with a [solved] tag,
to avoid further getting mails with comments that are obsolete.

michael

--
Michael Scherer
Univ.klinik f. Psychiatrie

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> To the OP.  I would use dracut.  I ran into trouble but I found out
>>> later that a earlier attempt at a init thingy was causing the dracut
>>> init thingy to mess up.  I strongly suspect that if I had known to get
>>> rid of the previous attempt, it would have worked the first time.  My
>>> previous attempt was the one that was built into the kernel itself.
>>> Lets just say there was a huge fight and I missed it.  Grub was telling
>>> one thing to load and the kernel was trying to load something else.  I'm
>>> sure it was a nice fight.
>>
>> The principal reason I'm not using dracut:
>>
>> * sys-kernel/dracut
>>     Available versions:  ~014-r2!t ~017-r1!t ~017-r2!t ~017-r3!t
>> ~018!t {debug device-mapper dracut_modules_biosdevname
>> dracut_modules_btrfs dracut_modules_caps dracut_modules_crypt
>> dracut_modules_crypt-gpg dracut_modules_dmraid
>> dracut_modules_dmsquash-live dracut_modules_gensplash
>> dracut_modules_iscsi dracut_modules_livenet dracut_modules_lvm
>> dracut_modules_mdraid dracut_modules_multipath dracut_modules_nbd
>> dracut_modules_nfs dracut_modules_plymouth dracut_modules_ssh-client
>> dracut_modules_syslog net selinux}
>>     Homepage:            http://dracut.wiki.kernel.org
>>
>> None of the versions have been marked stable. Genkernel, on the other hand, has.
>
> That makes almost no sense. You say that you are planning on using an
> initramfs because "udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable". That for
> sure will *not* happen *before* dracut hits stable.
>
> I would try dracut. Besides, as I said in another similar thread, an
> initramfs is one of the most secure things to prove: you add a new
> entry in grub-legacy/GRUB2, and try to boot. Doesn't work? Get back to
> your previous entry.

When dracut hits stable, sure, I'll give it a shot.

In the mean time, I get enough headaches from running a mostly-stable
package set. I was once berated for mixing stable and unstable, and
then having the gall to file a bug report when stable emacs wouldn't
build with libpng15 prior to libpng's landing stable, so I try to keep
my usage of unstable packages to a minimum. I don't want to run a full
~amd64 setup, because I don't want to deal with the headaches of being
a full beta tester.

Unless I have a strong and compelling reason to unmask a package and
risk having to unmask dependent versions for it, I won't. For the
moment, I don't.

> Dracut depends on udev-164; everything else on its depend list is
> stable, I believe. Try it, and if doesn't work easily, go back to
> genkernel.

It took me over a month before I found time to try genkernel. And that
only happened because I'm stuck at home trying to recover from a sinus
infection and fever.

--
:wq

mikemol at gmail

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Dale <rdalek1967 [at] gmail> wrote:

[snip]

> I might also add, genkernel is stable and has been for ages.  It's been
> a while since I tried it but the last time I did, it failed miserably.
> It 'claimed' everything worked fine but when I booted, it failed.  I got
> the old blinky keyboard lights treatment.  :/
>
> Just because something isn't marked stable doesn't mean it doesn't work.
>  I would guess that half the stuff on my system as I type, is not
> stable.  That would include all of KDE, portage and related tools plus
> no telling how many other deps that got pulled in.

Oh, certainly. Sometimes, I have to unmask packages (or versions
thereof) because I know of upstream fixes I want or need.

As a general rule, though, I avoid doing it unless I have specific,
strong and compelling need.

> Time to eat.  That init thingy sucked it out of me a while back.  After
> a week of snacking on quick junk food, I'm hungry.  I actually went
> outside yesterday.  o_O

Beautiful spring weather up here in Michigan, clear skies and
everything. I just hope it stays something like this for my wedding in
a couple weeks.

--
:wq

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

Michael Mol wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Dale <rdalek1967 [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I might also add, genkernel is stable and has been for ages. It's been
>> a while since I tried it but the last time I did, it failed miserably.
>> It 'claimed' everything worked fine but when I booted, it failed. I got
>> the old blinky keyboard lights treatment. :/
>>
>> Just because something isn't marked stable doesn't mean it doesn't work.
>> I would guess that half the stuff on my system as I type, is not
>> stable. That would include all of KDE, portage and related tools plus
>> no telling how many other deps that got pulled in.
>
> Oh, certainly. Sometimes, I have to unmask packages (or versions
> thereof) because I know of upstream fixes I want or need.
>
> As a general rule, though, I avoid doing it unless I have specific,
> strong and compelling need.

This could be one of those times. The trouble I ran into became clear
later on. I had tried to build a init thingy that was built into the
kernel. It didn't work right so I left it behind. Thing is, I forgot
to disable that in the kernel config. So, I was building a kernel with
a broken init thingy and telling grub to use the init thingy built by
dracut. Can you imagine the fist fight that was being had?

I type all that to say this, unmask dracut, run dracut, add the init
thingy to your grub line. I'm more sure that it will work than I am of
genkernel.

>> Time to eat. That init thingy sucked it out of me a while back. After
>> a week of snacking on quick junk food, I'm hungry. I actually went
>> outside yesterday. o_O
>
> Beautiful spring weather up here in Michigan, clear skies and
> everything. I just hope it stays something like this for my wedding in
> a couple weeks.

I hope you have good weather too. I just been having health issues,
again. It's been a rough week or so.

Dale

:-) :-)

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Dale <rdalek1967 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Dale <rdalek1967 [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I might also add, genkernel is stable and has been for ages.  It's been
>>> a while since I tried it but the last time I did, it failed miserably.
>>> It 'claimed' everything worked fine but when I booted, it failed.  I got
>>> the old blinky keyboard lights treatment.  :/
>>>
>>> Just because something isn't marked stable doesn't mean it doesn't work.
>>>  I would guess that half the stuff on my system as I type, is not
>>> stable.  That would include all of KDE, portage and related tools plus
>>> no telling how many other deps that got pulled in.
>>
>> Oh, certainly. Sometimes, I have to unmask packages (or versions
>> thereof) because I know of upstream fixes I want or need.
>>
>> As a general rule, though, I avoid doing it unless I have specific,
>> strong and compelling need.
>>

> This could be one of those times.  The trouble I ran into became clear
> later on.  I had tried to build a init thingy that was built into the
> kernel.  It didn't work right so I left it behind.  Thing is, I forgot
> to disable that in the kernel config.  So, I was building a kernel with
> a broken init thingy and telling grub to use the init thingy built by
> dracut.  Can you imagine the fist fight that was being had?

I followed the thread; there's very little on this list I don't read,
or at least skim. :)

> I type all that to say this, unmask dracut, run dracut, add the init
> thingy to your grub line.  I'm more sure that it will work than I am of
> genkernel.

I'm pretty stubborn, and I tend to follow a depth-first search
algorithm while debugging, backtracking only when I hit a dead end. It
can take me longer than, say, a distro-hopper, but I like that I come
out with a better understanding of whatever it is I've been banging my
head on.

The genkernel docs say that if static versions of the requisite
packages don't exist, it will build them. If adding the 'static' USE
flags under /etc/portage/package.use fixes this use case of genkernel,
then I've got a valid bug to report, and the thing can get fixed.

--
:wq

w41ter at gmail

Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

On 04/24/2012 08:35 AM, Dale wrote:

> I hope you have good weather too. I just been having health issues,
> again. It's been a rough week or so.

I'm sorry to hear that. But if you're going to do risky things
like giving up junk food and actually going outdoors -- well, we
here on this list can't be of much help to you, sadly.

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: Re: genkernel assistance building initramfs [In reply to]

walt wrote:
> On 04/24/2012 08:35 AM, Dale wrote:
>>
>> I hope you have good weather too. I just been having health issues,
>> again. It's been a rough week or so.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that. But if you're going to do risky things
> like giving up junk food and actually going outdoors -- well, we
> here on this list can't be of much help to you, sadly.

Well, Drs can't fix bad genes yet. I'm not holding my breath either.
As for the junk food, it was sort of what I had without going to town,
which was just not a option at the time. I lost a few pounds tho. lol

Hoping for a improvement but a cure would be better. Then again, hot
weather is around the corner too. o_O

Dale

:-) :-)