Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

new mobo : Eth0 recovered

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

purslow at ca

new mobo : Eth0 recovered

Thanks again for the help : I'm now back in my 2007 machine
& able to send e-mails. You actually have to remove the offensive file
from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
Between Intel & Udev, I'm feeling somewhat abused today,
but Gentoo User mailing-list came thro' yet again :
I hope I sometimes manage to help others with similar problems.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

Philip Webb wrote:
> Thanks again for the help : I'm now back in my 2007 machine
> & able to send e-mails. You actually have to remove the offensive file
> from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
> Between Intel & Udev, I'm feeling somewhat abused today,
> but Gentoo User mailing-list came thro' yet again :
> I hope I sometimes manage to help others with similar problems.

That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too. I do wish we
could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.

We can dream I guess.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

purslow at ca

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

120421 Dale wrote:
> Philip Webb wrote:
>> You actually have to remove the offensive file
>> from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
> I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
> We can dream I guess.

Yes & why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
-- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

Philip Webb wrote:
> 120421 Dale wrote:
>> Philip Webb wrote:
>>> You actually have to remove the offensive file
>>> from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
>> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
>> I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
>> We can dream I guess.
>
> Yes & why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
> -- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
> And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??

I would imagine udev saw something different and renamed it. It's not
the first time something like this has happened. I doubt it will be the
last either. Udev is hard to predict for sure.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

realnc at gmail

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On 21/04/12 17:25, Philip Webb wrote:
> 120421 Dale wrote:
>> Philip Webb wrote:
>>> You actually have to remove the offensive file
>>> from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
>> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
>> I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
>> We can dream I guess.
>
> Yes& why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
> -- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
> And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??

So that eth0 still works. It can't know that what you have is a new
mobo rather than you having added an additional NIC.

Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.

Do a:

dmesg | grep -i firmware

and check for firmware loading errors.

stroller at stellar

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On 21 April 2012, at 15:25, Philip Webb wrote:

> 120421 Dale wrote:
>> Philip Webb wrote:
>>> You actually have to remove the offensive file
>>> from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
>> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
>> I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
>> We can dream I guess.
>
> Yes & why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
> -- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
> And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??

Because it knows the NIC with the MAC address of 11:22:33:aa:bb:cc always has to be eth0.

It found a new NIC, and eth0 wasn't available for the new NIC.
So the new NIC was granted the first available etcX allocation.

This is a real pain if you insist on thinking about it in terms of "I always expect there to be an eth0" or "the first card should always be eth0".

But if you were to slap a second NIC into the system and - hey! - suddenly the original network card didn't work any more because they've been allocated the wrong way around, then this would make perfect sense to you.

I mean, you could find yourself sorting that problem out, then the next time you reboot the two interfaces swap identities again (either randomly or for some obscure reasons that I can imagine) - that's really problematic if the two are now physically connected to different networks the wrong way around and you're firewalled out from them. This applies especially if you're hundreds of miles away from the machine which, from experience, happens far more often than one might wish or imagine (although I guess, to be fair, it only takes 1 or 2 or 3 occasions per decade for this to be far too bleedin' often).

It is really freakin' useful to know that an interface number is *always* going to match up with the server's physical socket marked "net1".

Stroller.

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 21/04/12 17:25, Philip Webb wrote:
>> 120421 Dale wrote:
>>> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
>>> I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
>>> We can dream I guess.
>>
>> Yes& why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
>> -- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
>> And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??
>
> So that eth0 still works. It can't know that what you have is a new
> mobo rather than you having added an additional NIC.
>
> Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
> RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
> hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
> but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.
>
> Do a:
>
> dmesg | grep -i firmware
>
> and check for firmware loading errors.

So that is what is wrong with my connection. I been having this issue
for a while and it is getting on my nerves. Is this fix OK even if you
don't build your drivers as modules? I build everything into the
kernel. I never did like modules much.

This goes to show, it doesn't hurt to read a thread even if you can't
help.

Thanks Nikos. You helped two people.

Dale

:-) :-)

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On 21/04/12 18:55, Dale wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> [...]
>> Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
>> RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
>> hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
>> but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.
>>
>> Do a:
>>
>> dmesg | grep -i firmware
>>
>> and check for firmware loading errors.
>
> So that is what is wrong with my connection. I been having this issue
> for a while and it is getting on my nerves. Is this fix OK even if you
> don't build your drivers as modules? I build everything into the
> kernel. I never did like modules much.

The kernel source doesn't have any firmware files in it, so it doesn't
matter whether you build the drivers into the kernel or as modules; the
firmware isn't there in either case.

However, this particular driver (r8169), says in its description that
building as a module is recommended. However, it doesn't give you any
explanation as to why this recommendation is made. I suppose the driver
developer was working for Apple previously :-P

Anyway, "dmesg | grep -i firmware" should tell you whether you actually
even need the firmware. If you don't get a firmware loading error in
dmesg, then you don't need it and your problem is not related. In that
case, you belong to the (quite large) group of people for which only the
net-misc/r8168 driver works reliably (which unfortunately doesn't always
support the latest linux kernel.)

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 21/04/12 18:55, Dale wrote:
>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
>>> RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
>>> hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
>>> but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.
>>>
>>> Do a:
>>>
>>> dmesg | grep -i firmware
>>>
>>> and check for firmware loading errors.
>>
>> So that is what is wrong with my connection. I been having this issue
>> for a while and it is getting on my nerves. Is this fix OK even if you
>> don't build your drivers as modules? I build everything into the
>> kernel. I never did like modules much.
>
> The kernel source doesn't have any firmware files in it, so it doesn't
> matter whether you build the drivers into the kernel or as modules; the
> firmware isn't there in either case.
>
> However, this particular driver (r8169), says in its description that
> building as a module is recommended. However, it doesn't give you any
> explanation as to why this recommendation is made. I suppose the driver
> developer was working for Apple previously :-P
>
> Anyway, "dmesg | grep -i firmware" should tell you whether you actually
> even need the firmware. If you don't get a firmware loading error in
> dmesg, then you don't need it and your problem is not related. In that
> case, you belong to the (quite large) group of people for which only the
> net-misc/r8168 driver works reliably (which unfortunately doesn't always
> support the latest linux kernel.)

Something like this:

root [at] firebal / # dmesg | grep -i firmware
[ 10.138253] r8169 0000:03:00.0: eth0: unable to load firmware patch
rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw (-2)
root [at] firebal / #

Looks like I found the fix for this problem. Yeppie !!

I don't use modules because a long time ago is was recommended not to.
So far, I have seen no reason to change that. Sort of like using the
init thingy. I may start using modules, when there is good reason to do
so. I'm just a old fart that likes the old ways of doing some things.
LOL I still don't like the init thingy although I am using one. :/

Thanks much. I can leave google alone now.

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. < dale makes note of that command. May come in handy one day. >

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

neil at digimed

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 09:06:08 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > Thanks again for the help : I'm now back in my 2007 machine
> > & able to send e-mails. You actually have to remove the offensive
> > file from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !

The problem here is that the file is created automatically, so renaming
the old one to not end in .rules new cause it to be ignored, but a
one will be created.

> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too. I do wish we
> could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.

The correct way to disable it is to set

persistent_net_disable="no"

in /etc/conf.d/udev

--
Neil Bothwick

I have seen the truth, and it makes no sense.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

rdalek1967 at gmail

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 09:06:08 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>>> Thanks again for the help : I'm now back in my 2007 machine
>>> & able to send e-mails. You actually have to remove the offensive
>>> file from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
>
> The problem here is that the file is created automatically, so renaming
> the old one to not end in .rules new cause it to be ignored, but a
> one will be created.
>
>> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too. I do wish we
>> could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
>
> The correct way to disable it is to set
>
> persistent_net_disable="no"
>
> in /etc/conf.d/udev

I was referring to the files in /etc/portage with that. Although, I
didn't know you could get it to ignore the ones for udev either, other
than deleting/removing them of course.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

peter at humphrey

Re: Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Saturday 21 April 2012 16:21:31 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> Do a:
>
> dmesg | grep -i firmware
>
> and check for firmware loading errors.

I have what seems to be the same network hardware, so I did what you
said and duly found an error. I hadn't had any obvious network
performance problems but I emerged linux-firmware anyway.

After the next reboot (without any firmware loading errors) kmail
couldn't send any e-mails, complaining each time that it was unable to
create an SMTP packet (I think that's what it said).

So I removed linux-firmware, rebooted and got kmail back.

Go figure. :-)

--
Rgds
Peter

dwnoon at ntlworld

Re: Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:50:44 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered:

[snip]
> So I removed linux-firmware, rebooted and got kmail back.

We all noticed that you are using KMail once more, because you are
sending HTML messages with a huge font and bold typeface to the list.

Any chance of you reconfiguring KMail not to send HTML messages?
Please ... pretty please ... :-)

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
dwnoon [at] ntlworld (David W Noon)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On 23/04/12 21:34, David W Noon wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:50:44 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote about Re:
> [gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered:
>
> [snip]
>> So I removed linux-firmware, rebooted and got kmail back.
>
> We all noticed that you are using KMail once more, because you are
> sending HTML messages with a huge font and bold typeface to the list.
>
> Any chance of you reconfiguring KMail not to send HTML messages?
> Please ... pretty please ... :-)

A mail-client worth its salt should be able to work around that ;-)
Thunderbird, the superior mail client (<-- flame bait) has an option
that says "Display HTML messages as plain text", so I never notice when
someone posts HTML messages here (or anywhere else.)

dwnoon at ntlworld

Re: Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:53:36 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote about
[gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered:

> On 23/04/12 21:34, David W Noon wrote:
[snip]
> > Any chance of you reconfiguring KMail not to send HTML messages?
> > Please ... pretty please ... :-)
>
> A mail-client worth its salt should be able to work around that ;-)
> Thunderbird, the superior mail client (<-- flame bait) has an option
> that says "Display HTML messages as plain text", so I never notice
> when someone posts HTML messages here (or anywhere else.)

Claws-mail also has that option, but it applies globally, and there are
some email messages I receive (mostly marketing related) where HTML
gives added value. Consequently, I would have to keep reconfiguring
Claws to exclude/permit HTML as I change folders.

Since HTML offers no added value in this mailing list, it should
eliminated at source.

Indeed, one mailing list I read has a listserver that deletes HTML
attachments when it receives a message, and if a message is all HTML it
goes down the gurgler straight away.

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On 23 April 2012, at 19:53, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

>> We all noticed that you are using KMail once more, because you are
>> sending HTML messages with a huge font and bold typeface to the list.
>>
>> Any chance of you reconfiguring KMail not to send HTML messages?
>> Please ... pretty please ... :-)
>
> A mail-client worth its salt should be able to work around that ;-) Thunderbird, the superior mail client (<-- flame bait) has an option that says "Display HTML messages as plain text", so I never notice when someone posts HTML messages here (or anywhere else.)

My client - which is probably not so superior - has this option, but it can only be applied globally, not to individual folders or senders.

Some senders - surely those with expensive design teams dedicated to the task - ensure that their HTML messages add something useful over the plain text version. Amazon's HTML emails show images of the product and I have no problem with the text size they use. The HTML notification emails from eBay are *fantastic*, showing images of actual items newly listed (in the last 24 hours) by vendors that happen to meet my search criteria - this is a *very* useful way of navigating potential bargains (and avoiding misleading adverts). There must be 10,000 items per day listed on eBay, maybe 100,000, and I am notified of the dozen or so that I may be interested in - with pictures right next to the description.

So I have to either tolerate Peter's choice of font size, or I have to sacrifice being able to read these other messages in their optimum format.

Now I appreciate that my choice of email client is not anyone else's fault, but plain-text is the standard of mailing lists, and I think it's a reasonable expectation that people conform to it (once their client's faux-pas has been pointed out).

Stroller.

paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Stroller
<stroller [at] stellar> wrote:
> There must be 10,000 items per day listed on eBay, maybe 100,000

[OT] I believe it to be over a million per day. The site has sold
something like 750,000 items per day since its beginning on average,
and many more items are listed than sold.

peter at humphrey

Re: Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Monday 23 April 2012 19:34:58 David W Noon wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:50:44 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote about Re:
> [gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered:
>
> [snip]
>
> > So I removed linux-firmware, rebooted and got kmail back.
>
> We all noticed that you are using KMail once more, because you are
> sending HTML messages with a huge font and bold typeface to the list.
>
> Any chance of you reconfiguring KMail not to send HTML messages?
> Please ... pretty please ... :-)

Is this better? I hate HTML in e-mail and I've never set any kmail
option to use it; however I did find "html-markup=true" in kmailrc and
set it to false.

Actually, that kmailrc setting sounds familiar from the last time
someone complained about my unconscious use of HTML. I don't know what's
setting it but I certainly am not.

--
Rgds
Peter

peter at humphrey

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Monday 23 April 2012 20:41:27 Stroller wrote:

> So I have to either tolerate Peter's choice of font size, or I have
> to sacrifice being able to read these other messages in their
> optimum format.

As I said in another e-mail, I have not made any such choice. Ever.

> Now I appreciate that my choice of email client is not anyone else's
> fault, but plain-text is the standard of mailing lists, and I think
> it's a reasonable expectation that people conform to it (once their
> client's faux-pas has been pointed out).

Plain text is what I have always specified. Kmail seems to want to
override my preferences.

--
Rgds
Peter

mikemol at gmail

Re: Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Peter Humphrey
<peter [at] humphrey> wrote:
> On Monday 23 April 2012 19:34:58 David W Noon wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:50:44 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote about Re:
>
>> [gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered:
>

>> [snip]
>

>> > So I removed linux-firmware, rebooted and got kmail back.
>

>> We all noticed that you are using KMail once more, because you are
>
>> sending HTML messages with a huge font and bold typeface to the list.
>

>> Any chance of you reconfiguring KMail not to send HTML messages?
>
>> Please ... pretty please ... :-)
>

> Is this better? I hate HTML in e-mail and I've never set any kmail option to
> use it; however I did find "html-markup=true" in kmailrc and set it to
> false.
>

> Actually, that kmailrc setting sounds familiar from the last time someone
> complained about my unconscious use of HTML. I don't know what's setting it
> but I certainly am not.

Nope, still came in as HTML.

--
:wq

neil at digimed

Re: Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:18:27 +0100, David W Noon wrote:

> Claws-mail also has that option, but it applies globally, and there are
> some email messages I receive (mostly marketing related) where HTML
> gives added value. Consequently, I would have to keep reconfiguring
> Claws to exclude/permit HTML as I change folders.

Or just click on the button to display the HTML version on the small
number of mails that justify it.

--
Neil Bothwick

- We are but packets in the internet of Life-

Re: Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 00:14:46 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:18:27 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
>
> > Claws-mail also has that option, but it applies globally, and there
> > are some email messages I receive (mostly marketing related) where
> > HTML gives added value. Consequently, I would have to keep
> > reconfiguring Claws to exclude/permit HTML as I change folders.
>
> Or just click on the button to display the HTML version on the small
> number of mails that justify it.

That would require action per message instead of per folder; not an
improvement.

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:59:01 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] new mobo : Eth0 recovered:

> Plain text is what I have always specified. Kmail seems to want to
> override my preferences.

Try under the "Security" option of KMail Settings.

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
dwnoon [at] ntlworld (David W Noon)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

waltdnes at waltdnes

Re: Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 09:56:13PM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote

> Is this better? I hate HTML in e-mail and I've never set any kmail
> option to use it; however I did find "html-markup=true" in kmailrc and
> set it to false.
>
> Actually, that kmailrc setting sounds familiar from the last time
> someone complained about my unconscious use of HTML. I don't know what's
> setting it but I certainly am not.

You seem to be sending multipart/alternative. I didn't even notice
that there was any HTML. Here is what mutt shows when I ask it to view
attachments...

-- Mutt: Attachments
I 1 <no description> [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 5.4K]
I 2 +-><no description> [text/plain, 7bit, iso-8859-15, 0.8K]
I 3 +-><no description> [text/html, 7bit, iso-8859-15, 4.3K]

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes [at] waltdnes>

peter at humphrey

Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered [In reply to]

On Tuesday 24 April 2012 01:21:33 David W Noon wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:59:01 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote
> > Plain text is what I have always specified. Kmail seems to want to
> > override my preferences.
>
> Try under the "Security" option of KMail Settings.

That's the only reference I can find to HTML, and it is not selected nor
ever has been.

--
Rgds
Peter