is pambase, shadow and glibc.

Anybody has idea how to fix this?

(PS: I know very well that logging in as root is a bad practice and I
never do that, I just use su -l, so no flames please).

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com

kwkhui at hkbn

Re: Not able to login as root after update [In reply to]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 07:17:45 +0530
Nilesh Govindrajan <contact [at] nileshgr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There's some weird problem that has cropped up after update yesterday.
> I'm not able to login as root on the tty nor as su -l and neither
> using sudo su -l. Thankfully I had sudo, so I can get root by sudo -i,
> or else it would've been a complete disaster.
>
> The packages which were upgraded yesterday which can be causing this
> is pambase, shadow and glibc.
>
> Anybody has idea how to fix this?
>
> (PS: I know very well that logging in as root is a bad practice and I
> never do that, I just use su -l, so no flames please).

If you mean shadow-4.1.5-r1 and pambase-20120417, read the previous
pambase/shadow warning thread from 3 days ago, or bug #412721, or you
can read it on phajdan.jr's blog

http://phajdan-jr.blogspot.com/2012/04/watch-out-for-shadow-415-r1-and-pambase.html

Anyway, if you upgrade glibc, you must recompile pam
afterwards manually (sorry it wasn't clear if you recompiled pam after
glibc upgrade) since it uses dlopen() which isn't catched by
revdep-rebuild. Safest is to recompile the toolchain, then system, then
world, but that could take a long time.

Kerwin.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

contact at nileshgr

Re: Not able to login as root after update [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM, <kwkhui [at] hkbn> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 07:17:45 +0530
> Nilesh Govindrajan <contact [at] nileshgr> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There's some weird problem that has cropped up after update yesterday.
>> I'm not able to login as root on the tty nor as su -l and neither
>> using sudo su -l. Thankfully I had sudo, so I can get root by sudo -i,
>> or else it would've been a complete disaster.
>>
>> The packages which were upgraded yesterday which can be causing this
>> is pambase, shadow and glibc.
>>
>> Anybody has idea how to fix this?
>>
>> (PS: I know very well that logging in as root is a bad practice and I
>> never do that, I just use su -l, so no flames please).
>>

> If you mean shadow-4.1.5-r1 and pambase-20120417, read the previous
> pambase/shadow warning thread from 3 days ago, or bug #412721, or you
> can read it on phajdan.jr's blog
>
> http://phajdan-jr.blogspot.com/2012/04/watch-out-for-shadow-415-r1-and-pambase.html
>
> Anyway, if you upgrade glibc, you must recompile pam
> afterwards manually (sorry it wasn't clear if you recompiled pam after
> glibc upgrade) since it uses dlopen() which isn't catched by
> revdep-rebuild. Safest is to recompile the toolchain, then system, then
> world, but that could take a long time.
>
> Kerwin.

When glibc comes with @world updates, emerge usually merges glibc
first and then the rest.
Ugh, I'd run the update command inside tmux and this issue caused me
not to check tmux after update. Running dispatch-conf fixed it,
thanks.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com