Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

Re: CORRECTION - Problem with eix-REMOTE update...

vaeth at mathematik

Re: CORRECTION - Problem with eix-REMOTE update...

>> I haven't searched layman for packages in a long time (actually had to
>> google how to do it), and am getting an error I can't seem to solve...

Unfortunately, you have not written the actual error
which should appear probably a few (probably one) lines before:

>> problems arised with cachefile _var_lib_layman_zugaina.eix
>> * Calling eix-update...
>> * could not read all eix cachefiles of
>> /tmp/eix-remote.dhR5mKNK/eix-caches.tbz2

Maybe this error speaks about differing versions?

>> Conversely, if the downloaded versions are even newer than that
>> supported by your eix, you will have to upgrade to the most current ~x86
>> version of eix to use eix-remote: This inconvenience cannot be avoided
>> and is not a bug!

So if it is the differing versions problem, the solution is to
upgrade to the most recent (~x86) version of eix, currently eix-0.25.3:
echo app-portage/eix >>/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords && emerge eix

tanstaafl at libertytrek

Re: Re: CORRECTION - Problem with eix-REMOTE update... [In reply to]

On 2012-04-17 1:41 AM, Vaeth <vaeth [at] mathematik> wrote:
> So if it is the differing versions problem, the solution is to
> upgrade to the most recent (~x86) version of eix, currently eix-0.25.3:
> echo app-portage/eix >>/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords && emerge eix

Is this safe to do while remaining on the stable version of portage?

tanstaafl at libertytrek

Re: Re: CORRECTION - Problem with eix-REMOTE update... [In reply to]

On 2012-04-17 1:41 AM, Vaeth <vaeth [at] mathematik> wrote:
>>> I haven't searched layman for packages in a long time (actually had to
>>> google how to do it), and am getting an error I can't seem to solve...
>
> Unfortunately, you have not written the actual error
> which should appear probably a few (probably one) lines before:

Nope...

After running eix-remote update, it downloads the file, then the very
next lines are:

* Unpacking data
/tmp/eix-remote.m6Ri2tl1/1/_var_lib_layman_a3li.eix was created with an
incompatible eix-update:
It uses database format 101 (current is 28).
Please run 'eix-update' and try again.

Followed by similar lines with different cache file names for however
many hundred or so files there are...

Then the last error is as I said:

Writing database file /var/cache/eix ..
Database contains 16219 packages in 155 categories.
* could not read all eix cachefiles of
/tmp/eix-remote.zv5peao3/eix-caches.tbz2

Probably your eix cachefile was *not* updated successfully.
Unless the above messages suggest another cause or you specified a
wrong filename, the most likely cause of this is that the server uses
another eix version than you or produced broken data. Please inspect
/tmp/eix-remote.zv5peao3/eix-caches.tbz2
whether this is a valid *.tar.bz2 archive containing eix cachefiles
(if it has already been deleted, download it using fetch).
If this is not the case (but was freshly downloaded), please report a
bug. Note that the archive is *not* broken if only the cachefile format
versions differ: In that case only report a bug if the eix cachefile
format versions in the downloaded file are *older* than that of the most
current ~x86 eix version in the portage tree (but first retry after
several days before reporting such a bug to give the server maintainers
a chance to upgrade after a version bump of eix).
Conversely, if the downloaded versions are even newer than that
supported by your eix, you will have to upgrade to the most current ~x86
version of eix to use eix-remote: This inconvenience cannot be avoided
and is not a bug!

>>> problems arised with cachefile _var_lib_layman_zugaina.eix
>>> * Calling eix-update...
>>> * could not read all eix cachefiles of
>>> /tmp/eix-remote.dhR5mKNK/eix-caches.tbz2

> Maybe this error speaks about differing versions?

Apparently it does, but *how* did this happen??

tanstaafl at libertytrek

Re: Re: CORRECTION - Problem with eix-REMOTE update... [In reply to]

On 2012-04-17 12:21 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl [at] libertytrek> wrote:
> On 2012-04-17 1:41 AM, Vaeth <vaeth [at] mathematik> wrote:
>> So if it is the differing versions problem, the solution is to
>> upgrade to the most recent (~x86) version of eix, currently eix-0.25.3:
>> echo app-portage/eix >>/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords && emerge eix
>
> Is this safe to do while remaining on the stable version of portage?

Anyone?

h.v.bruinehsen at fu-berlin

Re: Re: CORRECTION - Problem with eix-REMOTE update... [In reply to]

tanstaafl at libertytrek

Re: Re: CORRECTION - Problem with eix-REMOTE update... [In reply to]

On 2012-04-18 7:08 AM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
<h.v.bruinehsen [at] fu-berlin> wrote:
> On 18.04.2012 12:32, Tanstaafl wrote:

>>> Is this safe to do while remaining on the stable version of
>>> portage?

>> Anyone?

> eix-0.25.3 works great for me (incl. eix-remote) - if that's what
> you're asking.. ;)

No... I thought my question was very precise:

Is updating eix to an UNSTABLE version ok to do while leaving portage at
the STABLE version?

wonko at wonkology

Re: Re: CORRECTION - Problem with eix-REMOTE update... [In reply to]

Tanstaafl writes:

> On 2012-04-17 12:21 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl [at] libertytrek> wrote:
> > On 2012-04-17 1:41 AM, Vaeth <vaeth [at] mathematik>
> > wrote:
> >> So if it is the differing versions problem, the solution is to
> >> upgrade to the most recent (~x86) version of eix, currently
> >> eix-0.25.3: echo app-portage/eix
> >
> > Is this safe to do while remaining on the stable version of portage?
>
> Anyone?

I'm really pretty sure this is safe. I I don't know why it shouldn't.

Wonko