Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc?

 

 

Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


doug.hunley at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 10:14 AM

Post #1 of 12 (1484 views)
Permalink
dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc?

I'm currently running ~amd64 and when I ran a world update,
dev-libs/ppl-0.12 was pulled down, compiled and installed. At that
point, gcc stops compiling. It doesn't matter what I try to compile,
whether it's the dev-libs/cloog-ppl rebuild that dev-libs/ppl-0.12.
says to do, a recompile of gcc, or anything else. They all die with
with 'internal compiler error'. I end up having to 'emerge -k gcc' and
then masking dev-libs/ppl-0.12 to get back to a working compiler
chain.

Am I the only one facing this? How did you guys get through the mud here?

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley [at] gmail)
Twitter: @hunleyd                                               Web:
douglasjhunley.com
G+: http://goo.gl/sajR3


mikemol at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 10:20 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1444 views)
Permalink
Re: dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm currently running ~amd64 and when I ran a world update,
> dev-libs/ppl-0.12 was pulled down, compiled and installed. At that
> point, gcc stops compiling. It doesn't matter what I try to compile,
> whether it's the dev-libs/cloog-ppl rebuild that dev-libs/ppl-0.12.
> says to do, a recompile of gcc, or anything else. They all die with
> with 'internal compiler error'. I end up having to 'emerge -k gcc' and
> then masking dev-libs/ppl-0.12 to get back to a working compiler
> chain.
>
> Am I the only one facing this? How did you guys get through the mud here?

Are you using ccache?

--
:wq


doug.hunley at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 10:34 AM

Post #3 of 12 (1436 views)
Permalink
Re: dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:20, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
> Are you using ccache?

nope. no ccache, no distcc

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley [at] gmail)
Twitter: @hunleyd                                               Web:
douglasjhunley.com
G+: http://goo.gl/sajR3


mikemol at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 10:39 AM

Post #4 of 12 (1432 views)
Permalink
Re: dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:20, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Are you using ccache?
>
> nope. no ccache, no distcc

What are you using for CFLAGS?

--
:wq


doug.hunley at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 10:53 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1449 views)
Permalink
Re: dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:39, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:20, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> Are you using ccache?
>>
>> nope. no ccache, no distcc
>
> What are you using for CFLAGS?

~ $ more /etc/make.conf
# ---[Compiler Settings]---
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=native -mtune=native -mpopcnt -msahf
-fomit-frame-pointer -fforce-addr -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine
-floop-block -ftree-loop-distribution -ftree-loop-linear"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -Wabi"
LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -Wl,--hash-style=gnu,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed
-Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--enable-new-dtags"
MAKEOPTS="-j8 -l6 --quiet"

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley [at] gmail)
Twitter: @hunleyd                                               Web:
douglasjhunley.com
G+: http://goo.gl/sajR3


mikemol at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 11:16 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1451 views)
Permalink
Re: dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:39, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:20, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>> Are you using ccache?
>>>
>>> nope. no ccache, no distcc
>>
>> What are you using for CFLAGS?
>
> ~ $ more /etc/make.conf
> # ---[Compiler Settings]---
> CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
> CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=native -mtune=native -mpopcnt -msahf
> -fomit-frame-pointer -fforce-addr -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine
> -floop-block -ftree-loop-distribution -ftree-loop-linear"

-O2, -pipe, -march and -mtune look fine (though -mtune is implied by
-march), as does -mpopcnt and -msahf. -fomit-frame-pointer is implied
by -O2.

I don't know about the others.

> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -Wabi"
> LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -Wl,--hash-style=gnu,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed
> -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--enable-new-dtags"

Given you're updating a shared library, I'd wonder about some of these.


I'd also wonder if a depclean and revdep-rebuild prior to upgrading
ppi might reveal something.


> MAKEOPTS="-j8 -l6 --quiet"

Aside. Try:
MAKEOPTS="--jobs --load=6"
(--quiet is default for parallel builds)

Also, try:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs --load-average=6"

--
:wq


wonko at wonkology

Apr 16, 2012, 11:47 AM

Post #7 of 12 (1439 views)
Permalink
Re: dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc? [In reply to]

Doug Hunley writes:

> I'm currently running ~amd64 and when I ran a world update,
> dev-libs/ppl-0.12 was pulled down, compiled and installed. At that
> point, gcc stops compiling. It doesn't matter what I try to compile,
> whether it's the dev-libs/cloog-ppl rebuild that dev-libs/ppl-0.12.
> says to do, a recompile of gcc, or anything else. They all die with
> with 'internal compiler error'. I end up having to 'emerge -k gcc' and
> then masking dev-libs/ppl-0.12 to get back to a working compiler
> chain.

Strange, isn't it. How can those bugs make it into the tree? It's ~arch,
but this should not mean that it hasn't been tested at all.

> Am I the only one facing this?

Nope.

> How did you guys get through the mud here?

Looking for ppl on bugs.gentoo org, finding bug #412117 [*], rebuilding
ppl and cloog-ppl without -floop* CFLAGS, then again with floop* CFLAGS.

Wonko

[*] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=412117


w41ter at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 11:54 AM

Post #8 of 12 (1445 views)
Permalink
Re: dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc? [In reply to]

On 04/16/2012 10:14 AM, Doug Hunley wrote:
> I'm currently running ~amd64 and when I ran a world update,
> dev-libs/ppl-0.12 was pulled down, compiled and installed. At that
> point, gcc stops compiling. It doesn't matter what I try to compile,
> whether it's the dev-libs/cloog-ppl rebuild that dev-libs/ppl-0.12.
> says to do, a recompile of gcc, or anything else. They all die with
> with 'internal compiler error'. I end up having to 'emerge -k gcc' and
> then masking dev-libs/ppl-0.12 to get back to a working compiler
> chain.

I can't explain why the "internal compiler error" but I'd guess it's
probably something in your CFLAGS, as the other replies suggested.

But be aware that once you finally get ppl upgraded you'll need to
rebuild cloog-ppl *without* the -floop-* flags because gcc will not
build anything *with* those flags because the old cloog-ppl will
now be broken. Until you rebuild it, of course.


doug.hunley at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 1:00 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1458 views)
Permalink
Re: dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 14:47, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology> wrote:
> Looking for ppl on bugs.gentoo org, finding bug #412117 [*], rebuilding
> ppl and cloog-ppl without -floop* CFLAGS, then again with floop* CFLAGS.

damn, I searched, didn't see this. thanks

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley [at] gmail)
Twitter: @hunleyd                                               Web:
douglasjhunley.com
G+: http://goo.gl/sajR3


doug.hunley at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 1:20 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1439 views)
Permalink
Re: dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:00, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 14:47, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology> wrote:
>> Looking for ppl on bugs.gentoo org, finding bug #412117 [*], rebuilding
>> ppl and cloog-ppl without -floop* CFLAGS, then again with floop* CFLAGS.
>
> damn, I searched, didn't see this. thanks

didn't see it cause I looked on Sat, it was filed yesterday ;)

fixed now. thanks mucho!

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley [at] gmail)
Twitter: @hunleyd                                               Web:
douglasjhunley.com
G+: http://goo.gl/sajR3


pandu at poluan

Apr 16, 2012, 5:39 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1428 views)
Permalink
Re: dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc? [In reply to]

On Apr 17, 2012 3:23 AM, "Doug Hunley" <doug.hunley [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:00, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 14:47, Alex Schuster <wonko [at] wonkology>
wrote:
> >> Looking for ppl on bugs.gentoo org, finding bug #412117 [*], rebuilding
> >> ppl and cloog-ppl without -floop* CFLAGS, then again with floop*
CFLAGS.
> >
> > damn, I searched, didn't see this. thanks
>
> didn't see it cause I looked on Sat, it was filed yesterday ;)
>
> fixed now. thanks mucho!
>

I see you're using gcc's graphite...

Welcome to the club! :-D

Oh, and glad you had the problem fixed ;-)

Rgds,


realnc at gmail

Apr 17, 2012, 1:12 AM

Post #12 of 12 (1458 views)
Permalink
Re: dev-libs/ppl-0.12 breaks gcc? [In reply to]

On 16/04/12 20:53, Doug Hunley wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:39, Michael Mol<mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Doug Hunley<doug.hunley [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:20, Michael Mol<mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>> Are you using ccache?
>>>
>>> nope. no ccache, no distcc
>>
>> What are you using for CFLAGS?
>
> -O2 -pipe -march=native -mtune=native -mpopcnt -msahf
> -fomit-frame-pointer -fforce-addr -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine
> -floop-block -ftree-loop-distribution -ftree-loop-linear

-ftree-loop-linear is an alias for -floop-interchange. They do the same
thing.

Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.