Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

Grub2 can't find any commands

julian.simioni at gmail

Mar 21, 2012, 9:22 PM

Grub2 can't find any commands

Hi all,
I'm working on the exciting and challenging task of installing Gentoo
on a new Macbook Pro with grub2 and EFI. I've got things booting, but
every time grub complains of many missing commands including search,
echo, and most surprisingly '['. It also can't find any modules, and
in order to get everything to work I had to specify about 10 modules
to be built in using grub2-mkimage. This feels a little suboptimal to
me, but I can't figure out where various things need to be for grub to
find them happily.

My partition layout at least is simple since I don't plan on dual booting:
/dev/sda1: big root partition using ext4
/dev/sda2: 200MB vfat EFI partition, set to bootable (yes this should
be sda1: I didn't know you needed an EFI partition until after I had
already made the root partition and started installing things. I was
able to add this partition later with gparted)

Of course I'm using GPT, not MBR.

On /dev/sda2 I've got the grub2 image at /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI as is
standard, and I have been mounting /dev/sda2 at /boot/efi. I can put
either a grub2 image or a 3.3 kernel with EFI stub support at
/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI and it gets detected just fine, so I'm on the
right track.

I've tried messing with various permutations of the -p parameter to
grub2-mkimage, but haven't gotten anywhere. Right now the *.mod and
*.lst files from /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/ can be found at both
/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi and /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/. Where is it that they
actually should be?

Thanks,
Julian

maxim.wexler at gmail

Mar 22, 2012, 3:32 PM

Re: Grub2 can't find any commands [In reply to]

Here's a marvelous program crying out for an ebuild;

https://launchpad.net/boot-repair

It's part of my Ubuntu setup. With one click it goes out and finds all
the boot partitions on your hd(s) and automatically writes the proper
grub2 configuration for them. It even pastebins a copy of grub.cfg
for troubleshooting purposes, though I have never needed it, sof far.
When you boot all your OSes are there in the menu ready to be
selected. In my case Ubuntu, Gentoo and Sabayon. .

On 3/21/12, Julian Simioni <julian.simioni [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm working on the exciting and challenging task of installing Gentoo
> on a new Macbook Pro with grub2 and EFI. I've got things booting, but
> every time grub complains of many missing commands including search,
> echo, and most surprisingly '['. It also can't find any modules, and
> in order to get everything to work I had to specify about 10 modules
> to be built in using grub2-mkimage. This feels a little suboptimal to
> me, but I can't figure out where various things need to be for grub to
> find them happily.
>
> My partition layout at least is simple since I don't plan on dual booting:
> /dev/sda1: big root partition using ext4
> /dev/sda2: 200MB vfat EFI partition, set to bootable (yes this should
> be sda1: I didn't know you needed an EFI partition until after I had
> already made the root partition and started installing things. I was
> able to add this partition later with gparted)
>
> Of course I'm using GPT, not MBR.
>
> On /dev/sda2 I've got the grub2 image at /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI as is
> standard, and I have been mounting /dev/sda2 at /boot/efi. I can put
> either a grub2 image or a 3.3 kernel with EFI stub support at
> /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI and it gets detected just fine, so I'm on the
> right track.
>
> I've tried messing with various permutations of the -p parameter to
> grub2-mkimage, but haven't gotten anywhere. Right now the *.mod and
> *.lst files from /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/ can be found at both
> /boot/grub2/x86_64-efi and /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/. Where is it that they
> actually should be?
>
> Thanks,
> Julian

julian.simioni at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 11:36 AM

Re: Grub2 can't find any commands [In reply to]

That's an excellent utility, I'll definitely add it to my toolbox, thanks.

I actually was able to solve my problem myself: shortly after posting I
found a post by renergy on the forums:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6988228.html

It looks like the magic parameters to grub2-install are --root-directory
and --boot-directory. Annoyingly, --root-directory is not listed in the
help output or man page, so I had no easy way of knowing it existed. But at
least everything works now.