Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User
Re: mdev: sound is only working some of the time.

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

acm at muc

Mar 21, 2012, 4:17 AM

Re: mdev: sound is only working some of the time. [In reply to]

Hello, Pandu.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 07:35:14AM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2012 5:36 AM, "Alan Mackenzie" <acm [at] muc> wrote:

> > Hi, all.

> > Got a problem with my system running under mdev. When I try to play CDs
> > (with aqualung feeding into PulseAudio), no sound comes out. However,
> > when I listen to an audio section from a newspaper page such as
> > www.tagesschau.de (no idea what audio format) it works.

> > Clearly this is something to do with mdev. I had a look at the devices
> > in /dev, searching for those in group audio. Under udev, I find the
> > following as device nodes:

> > adsp audio dsp mixer mixer1 sequencer sequencer2.

> > Under mdev, all of these bar one are symlinks into the real nodes in a
> > subdirectory. The odd man out is mixer1 which is a device node, but
> > with owner/group begin root/root (rather than root/audio).

> > Can anybody suggest any fix, or further areas of exploration? Thanks!

> That's indicative that it's the kernel doing the populating (that is,
> everything belongs to root:root).

No, it was just that one device belonging to root:root. This is
mysterious indeed.

> That means, mdev hasn't got the chance to 'restructure' the /dev
> directory (that is, rename and/or move and/or chown devices).

> Does 'mdev -s' exist in your /sbin/linuxrc? Can you post your linuxrc
> here?

mdev -s wasn't in my /sbin/linuxrc. It is now. It hasn't made any
difference to that wayward device.

As I said to Walt, I've solved the problem by turfing out pulseaudio.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).