Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User
Re: Re: mdev: sound is only working some of the time.

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

acm at muc

Mar 21, 2012, 4:11 AM

Re: Re: mdev: sound is only working some of the time. [In reply to]

Hello, Walt.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 04:23:14PM -0700, walt wrote:
> On 03/20/2012 03:31 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Hi, all.

> > Got a problem with my system running under mdev. When I try to play CDs
> > (with aqualung feeding into PulseAudio), no sound comes out. However,
> > when I listen to an audio section from a newspaper page such as
> > www.tagesschau.de (no idea what audio format) it works.

> > Clearly this is something to do with mdev. I had a look at the devices
> > in /dev, searching for those in group audio. Under udev, I find the
> > following as device nodes:

> > adsp audio dsp mixer mixer1 sequencer sequencer2.

> > Under mdev, all of these bar one are symlinks into the real nodes in a
> > subdirectory. The odd man out is mixer1 which is a device node, but
> > with owner/group begin root/root (rather than root/audio).

> > Can anybody suggest any fix, or further areas of exploration? Thanks!

> Can you do chown root:audio on the mixer as a test?

Done so. It didn't help. It's mightily curious why that one device is
different from the others. It's not so under udev.

Anyhow I found the problem. It was pulseaudio. I rebuilt it with its
udev use flag taken out. This didn't help.

Then I rebuilt aqualung without the pulseaudio flag, and now things work.

As I type, I am listening to Mahler's second symphony, played by the
Bamberger Symphoniker conducted by Jonathan Nott. I can recomment Mahler
for when things aren't going quite according to plan, and this recording
in particular.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).