Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

[HEADS UP] udev-181

w41ter at gmail

Mar 19, 2012, 7:56 AM

[HEADS UP] udev-181

I just had a bit of a scare after updating to udev-181, but
all is well now, finally. (I hope :)

In addition to the separate /usr problem that has already
been discussed at length here, there are other important
changes in udev-181 to be aware of.

First, I had to add two new items to my kernel config:
CONFIG_DEV_TMPFS (which I thought I'd had for years but didn't)
and CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL. I also elected to make the devfs
automounting, but I don't think that was really necessary.

Second, don't forget like I did to update the udev initscripts
with etc-update or your machine won't be able to find the udev
files in their new locations (just like mine didn't) and none
of your kernel modules will auto-load, either.

Oh, and of course you need to pre-mount /usr before udev starts
if you have a separate /usr partition -- but you already knew
that ;)

mikemol at gmail

Mar 19, 2012, 8:15 AM

Re: [HEADS UP] udev-181 [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM, walt <w41ter [at] gmail> wrote:
> I just had a bit of a scare after updating to udev-181, but
> all is well now, finally.  (I hope :)
>
> In addition to the separate /usr problem that has already
> been discussed at length here, there are other important
> changes in udev-181 to be aware of.
>
> First, I had to add two new items to my kernel config:
> CONFIG_DEV_TMPFS (which I thought I'd had for years but didn't)
> and CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL.  I also elected to make the devfs
> automounting, but I don't think that was really necessary.
>
> Second, don't forget like I did to update the udev initscripts
> with etc-update or your machine won't be able to find the udev
> files in their new locations (just like mine didn't) and none
> of your kernel modules will auto-load, either.
>
> Oh, and of course you need to pre-mount /usr before udev starts
> if you have a separate /usr partition -- but you already knew
> that ;)

Is there an ENOTICE warning in the ebuild to hit people over the head
with these?

Also, how trivial would it be to have the ebuild check the running
kernel config (if available under /proc or wherever) for the necessary
config options?

--
:wq

w41ter at gmail

Mar 19, 2012, 8:55 AM

Re: [HEADS UP] udev-181 [In reply to]

On 03/19/2012 08:15 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM, walt <w41ter [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I just had a bit of a scare after updating to udev-181, but
>> all is well now, finally. (I hope :)
>>
>> In addition to the separate /usr problem that has already
>> been discussed at length here, there are other important
>> changes in udev-181 to be aware of.
>>
>> First, I had to add two new items to my kernel config:
>> CONFIG_DEV_TMPFS (which I thought I'd had for years but didn't)
>> and CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL. I also elected to make the devfs
>> automounting, but I don't think that was really necessary.
>>
>> Second, don't forget like I did to update the udev initscripts
>> with etc-update or your machine won't be able to find the udev
>> files in their new locations (just like mine didn't) and none
>> of your kernel modules will auto-load, either.
>>
>> Oh, and of course you need to pre-mount /usr before udev starts
>> if you have a separate /usr partition -- but you already knew
>> that ;)
>
> Is there an ENOTICE warning in the ebuild to hit people over the head
> with these?
>
> Also, how trivial would it be to have the ebuild check the running
> kernel config (if available under /proc or wherever) for the necessary
> config options?

Yes, I found out about the added kernel config items from the ENOTICE,
but I wanted to point out that it needs to be done *before* you reboot
or you'll be in trouble. Even better if you do it before you update
udevd, I'd say.

If the warning to run etc-update appeared, I missed it :( which I
usually don't.

jason at jasoncarson

Mar 19, 2012, 10:54 AM

Re: [HEADS UP] udev-181 [In reply to]

Just a minor correction. It's CONFIG_DEVTMPFS not CONFIG_DEV_TMPFS :)

> I just had a bit of a scare after updating to udev-181, but
> all is well now, finally. (I hope :)
>
> In addition to the separate /usr problem that has already
> been discussed at length here, there are other important
> changes in udev-181 to be aware of.
>
> First, I had to add two new items to my kernel config:
> CONFIG_DEV_TMPFS (which I thought I'd had for years but didn't)
> and CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL. I also elected to make the devfs
> automounting, but I don't think that was really necessary.
>
> Second, don't forget like I did to update the udev initscripts
> with etc-update or your machine won't be able to find the udev
> files in their new locations (just like mine didn't) and none
> of your kernel modules will auto-load, either.
>
> Oh, and of course you need to pre-mount /usr before udev starts
> if you have a separate /usr partition -- but you already knew
> that ;)

markknecht at gmail

Mar 19, 2012, 11:15 AM

Re: [HEADS UP] udev-181 [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Is there an ENOTICE warning in the ebuild to hit people over the head
> with these?
>
> Also, how trivial would it be to have the ebuild check the running
> kernel config (if available under /proc or wherever) for the necessary
> config options?

Concerning the kernel config stuff file an enhancement request. Dracut
checks for the same variable. They should be able to just copy it from
there.

- Mark