Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up

waltdnes at waltdnes

Mar 16, 2012, 7:51 PM

mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up

The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ validator.w3.org complains about a couple
of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
Midori. Any comments from users of other browsers? The page will be
permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as we find out more
about how mdev works.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes [at] waltdnes>

rdalek1967 at gmail

Mar 16, 2012, 8:03 PM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

Walter Dnes wrote:
> The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
> http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ validator.w3.org complains about a couple
> of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
> Midori. Any comments from users of other browsers? The page will be
> permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as we find out more
> about how mdev works.

Looks fine on Seamonkey2. Glad you got a web page. Another step taken.
;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

pandu at poluan

Mar 16, 2012, 9:12 PM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On Mar 17, 2012 9:54 AM, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes [at] waltdnes> wrote:

> The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
> http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ validator.w3.org complains about a couple
> of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
> Midori. Any comments from users of other browsers? The page will be
> permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as we find out more
> about how mdev works.

Walter,

I've been reading on mdev, and I think there are some things we ought to
try :

1. *IMPORTANT* make sure there's /etc/mdev.conf !

2. Adding 'mdev -s' into /sbin/linuxrc after mounting sys/proc.

man busybox says that 'mdev -s' populates /dev with devices it detects
during boot. Maybe we won't need kernel devtmpfs anymore?

3. To handle hotplug events, ' echo /bin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug '.
But I'm not sure which kernel config to enable to make that sysctl knob
appear.

kutulu at kutulu

Mar 17, 2012, 6:13 AM

RE: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

> Walter Dnes wrote:
> The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
> http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ validator.w3.org complains about a couple
> of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
> Midori. Any comments from users of other browsers? The page will be

Looks fine in IE/Firefox/Chromium; you shouldn't have any problems with any
browsers since the validation errors are on deprecated attributes that are
still in wide use.

If you really want to fix them so it validates, change:

<a name="foo"> --> <a id="foo">
<ol type="a"> --> <ol style="list-style-type: lower-alpha">

michaelkintzios at gmail

Mar 17, 2012, 6:49 AM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On Saturday 17 Mar 2012 13:13:25 Mike Edenfield wrote:
> > Walter Dnes wrote:
> > The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
> > http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ validator.w3.org complains about a couple
> > of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
> > Midori. Any comments from users of other browsers? The page will be
>
> Looks fine in IE/Firefox/Chromium; you shouldn't have any problems with any
> browsers since the validation errors are on deprecated attributes that are
> still in wide use.
>
> If you really want to fix them so it validates, change:
>
> <a name="foo"> --> <a id="foo">
> <ol type="a"> --> <ol style="list-style-type: lower-alpha">

It looks fine in Opera too.

I suggest you add a header on the page same as the page title for your human
visitors.

Also I strongly suggest you take your email address off the page before
spambots harvest it. Instead, replace the link with a mail form page or
popup. Google for a suitable php mail form although there may be JavaScript
forms too that are easy to complete and customise as desired. Contact me off-
line if you can't find what you want.

Thanks for your efforts and please carry on the good work!
Mick
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

sping at gentoo

Mar 17, 2012, 3:37 PM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On 03/17/2012 03:51 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> The page will be permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as
> we find out more about how mdev works.

Unless you want to maintain total control of the data flow I would
suggest turning that page into a new wiki page at
<https://wiki.gentoo.org/> to ease contribution to others and to
increase availability and accessibility of that content.

Best,

Sebastian

waltdnes at waltdnes

Mar 18, 2012, 12:29 AM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:37:49PM +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote
> On 03/17/2012 03:51 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > The page will be permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as
> > we find out more about how mdev works.
>
> Unless you want to maintain total control of the data flow I would
> suggest turning that page into a new wiki page at
> <https://wiki.gentoo.org/> to ease contribution to others and to
> increase availability and accessibility of that content.

Probably the best thing to do in the long run. I've never done any
wiki editing/posting, so I'll take a day or 2 to read up on it. The
help page looks rather complex. Or are there any volunteers here who
can copy the contents of the web page to a wiki page? I'll gladly
change my webpage to a pointer to the wiki page.

On a tangent, is that a better tutorial on wiki pages anywhere?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes [at] waltdnes>

mikemol at gmail

Mar 18, 2012, 1:38 AM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes [at] waltdnes> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:37:49PM +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote
>> On 03/17/2012 03:51 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
>> > The page will be permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as
>> > we find out more about how mdev works.
>>
>> Unless you want to maintain total control of the data flow I would
>> suggest turning that page into a new wiki page at
>> <https://wiki.gentoo.org/> to ease contribution to others and to
>> increase availability and accessibility of that content.
>
>  Probably the best thing to do in the long run. I've never done any
> wiki editing/posting, so I'll take a day or 2 to read up on it.  The
> help page looks rather complex.  Or are there any volunteers here who
> can copy the contents of the web page to a wiki page?  I'll gladly
> change my webpage to a pointer to the wiki page.

First stab: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev

I don't know the Gentoo wiki's style policies, but I do know MediaWiki
reasonably well. I did take license to edit for language/linguistic
style, but not for substantive comment. Please go through and correct
anything that seems broken. It's almost 4:30AM where I am, and I
really ought to be sleeping, so I almost certainly mussed something
up. Pretty sure I switched styles about halfway through, too.

You should find the MediaWiki syntax reasonably accessible; just click
'edit' at the top of the page and compare what the 'raw' form looks
like with what the results look like.

>  On a tangent, is that a better tutorial on wiki pages anywhere?

MediaWiki.org has the best content. Generally, you'd play around in a
sandbox page of your own (on whatever wiki site you have an account
on) to get a feel for things.

--
:wq

mikemol at gmail

Mar 18, 2012, 1:42 AM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes [at] waltdnes> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless you want to maintain total control of the data flow I would
>>> suggest turning that page into a new wiki page at
>>> <https://wiki.gentoo.org/> to ease contribution to others and to
>>> increase availability and accessibility of that content.
>>
>>  Probably the best thing to do in the long run. I've never done any
>> wiki editing/posting, so I'll take a day or 2 to read up on it.  The
>> help page looks rather complex.  Or are there any volunteers here who
>> can copy the contents of the web page to a wiki page?  I'll gladly
>> change my webpage to a pointer to the wiki page.
>
> First stab: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
>
> I don't know the Gentoo wiki's style policies, but I do know MediaWiki
> reasonably well. I did take license to edit for language/linguistic
> style, but not for substantive comment. Please go through and correct
> anything that seems broken. It's almost 4:30AM where I am, and I
> really ought to be sleeping, so I almost certainly mussed something
> up. Pretty sure I switched styles about halfway through, too.
>
> You should find the MediaWiki syntax reasonably accessible; just click
> 'edit' at the top of the page and compare what the 'raw' form looks
> like with what the results look like.
>

>>  On a tangent, is that a better tutorial on wiki pages anywhere?
>
> MediaWiki.org has the best content. Generally, you'd play around in a
> sandbox page of your own (on whatever wiki site you have an account
> on) to get a feel for things.

BTW, where would one go to get involved in organization of the wiki? I
found myself wishing for templates for consistent formatting of things
like files, one-liners and naming of ebuilds, but I don't think I
ought to simply create the templates I'm looking for without talking
with someone first.

--
:wq

pandu at poluan

Mar 18, 2012, 4:10 AM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On Mar 18, 2012 3:45 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes [at] waltdnes>
wrote:
> >> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:37:49PM +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote

> >> Probably the best thing to do in the long run. I've never done any
> >> wiki editing/posting, so I'll take a day or 2 to read up on it. The
> >> help page looks rather complex. Or are there any volunteers here who
> >> can copy the contents of the web page to a wiki page? I'll gladly
> >> change my webpage to a pointer to the wiki page.
> >
> > First stab: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
> >
> > I don't know the Gentoo wiki's style policies, but I do know MediaWiki
> > reasonably well. I did take license to edit for language/linguistic
> > style, but not for substantive comment. Please go through and correct
> > anything that seems broken. It's almost 4:30AM where I am, and I
> > really ought to be sleeping, so I almost certainly mussed something
> > up. Pretty sure I switched styles about halfway through, too.
> >
> > You should find the MediaWiki syntax reasonably accessible; just click
> > 'edit' at the top of the page and compare what the 'raw' form looks
> > like with what the results look like.
> >

> >> On a tangent, is that a better tutorial on wiki pages anywhere?
> >
> > MediaWiki.org has the best content. Generally, you'd play around in a
> > sandbox page of your own (on whatever wiki site you have an account
> > on) to get a feel for things.
>
> BTW, where would one go to get involved in organization of the wiki? I
> found myself wishing for templates for consistent formatting of things
> like files, one-liners and naming of ebuilds, but I don't think I
> ought to simply create the templates I'm looking for without talking
> with someone first.

I suggest asking in gentoo-project. The Powers That Be™ are obligatory
members there...

Rgds,

marcec at gmx

Mar 18, 2012, 4:42 AM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

Am Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:51:00 -0400
schrieb "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes [at] waltdnes>:

> The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
> http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ validator.w3.org complains about a couple
> of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
> Midori. Any comments from users of other browsers? The page will be
> permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as we find out more
> about how mdev works.

For those that don't follow Planet Gentoo: Luca Barbato just gave your project
a positive mention within a small rant about the whole situation:

http://blogs.gentoo.org/lu_zero/2012/03/17/again-on-shoveling-stuff-in-other-people-mouth/

Now to return to the sidelines and keep watching from afar how this whole thing
will turn out :) .

--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

pandu at poluan

Mar 18, 2012, 5:23 AM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 18:42, Marc Joliet <marcec [at] gmx> wrote:
> Am Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:51:00 -0400
> schrieb "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes [at] waltdnes>:
>
>>   The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
>> http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/  validator.w3.org complains about a couple
>> of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
>> Midori.  Any comments from users of other browsers?  The page will be
>> permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as we find out more
>> about how mdev works.
>>

> For those that don't follow Planet Gentoo: Luca Barbato just gave your project
> a positive mention within a small rant about the whole situation:
>
>  http://blogs.gentoo.org/lu_zero/2012/03/17/again-on-shoveling-stuff-in-other-people-mouth/
>
> Now to return to the sidelines and keep watching from afar how this whole thing
> will turn out :) .

Let's start a pool on how soon Walter will get a waltdnes [at] gento address ;-)

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

 • LOPSA Member #15248
 • Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
 • Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

sping at gentoo

Mar 18, 2012, 9:05 AM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On 03/18/2012 09:42 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
> BTW, where would one go to get involved in organization of the wiki? I
> found myself wishing for templates for consistent formatting of things
> like files, one-liners and naming of ebuilds, but I don't think I
> ought to simply create the templates I'm looking for without talking
> with someone first.

For file content and kernel config I have seen templates up there
already. I'm not sure what you mean by one-liners and naming of ebuilds.

Please get in touch with these people:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/wiki/

You can reach all of them on alias <wiki at g.o>.

Best,

Sebastian

mikemol at gmail

Mar 18, 2012, 10:06 AM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Sebastian Pipping <sping [at] gentoo> wrote:
> On 03/18/2012 09:42 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
>> BTW, where would one go to get involved in organization of the wiki? I
>> found myself wishing for templates for consistent formatting of things
>> like files, one-liners and naming of ebuilds, but I don't think I
>> ought to simply create the templates I'm looking for without talking
>> with someone first.
>
> For file content and kernel config I have seen templates up there
> already.  I'm not sure what you mean by one-liners and naming of ebuilds.
>
> Please get in touch with these people:
>
>  http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/wiki/
>
> You can reach all of them on alias <wiki at g.o>.

I'm in #gentoo-wiki, now, and have been asked if I had permission to
copy Walt's page. So...Walt, did I have permission to copy your page?

--
:wq

waltdnes at waltdnes

Mar 18, 2012, 12:57 PM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 01:06:00PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote

> I'm in #gentoo-wiki, now, and have been asked if I had permission to
> copy Walt's page. So...Walt, did I have permission to copy your page?

Yes you did. My previous email should have beem enough. If they want
explicit permission, copy this email to them. As I mentioned in my
previous email, I'll be re-directing the web page to point to the wiki.
Thanks very much for your work.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes [at] waltdnes>

mikemol at gmail

Mar 18, 2012, 3:40 PM

Re: mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up [In reply to]

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes [at] waltdnes> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 01:06:00PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote
>
>> I'm in #gentoo-wiki, now, and have been asked if I had permission to
>> copy Walt's page. So...Walt, did I have permission to copy your page?
>
>  Yes you did.  My previous email should have beem enough.  If they want
> explicit permission, copy this email to them.  As I mentioned in my
> previous email, I'll be re-directing the web page to point to the wiki.
> Thanks very much for your work.

Hey, I haven't been able to help test, but wiki editing is part of my
hobby. It's the least I could do. I'll just hand them a link to your
email when it pops up on archives.gentoo.org. Hey, there it is!

http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/msg_acc1deaf79fd8f1536add7c5c2daf24a.xml

--
:wq