Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User

Important package blocked by another important package

 

 

Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


meino.cramer at gmx

Aug 29, 2011, 7:27 PM

Post #1 of 13 (2272 views)
Permalink
Important package blocked by another important package

Hi,

How can I get out of this:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild U ~] sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 [2.19.1-r1] USE="cramfs crypt ncurses nls perl unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -slang -static-libs% (-uclibc)" 4,507 kB
[blocks B ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3" is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.20)

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 4,507 kB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-apps/util-linux-2.20::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
>=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.73-r1::gentoo, installed)
>=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (sys-fs/udev-164-r2::gentoo, installed)
>=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (x11-libs/libSM-1.2.0::gentoo, installed)
sys-apps/util-linux required by (app-text/xmlto-0.0.23::gentoo, installed)
>=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (dev-libs/apr-1.4.4::gentoo, installed)
sys-apps/util-linux required by @system
>=sys-apps/util-linux-2.13 required by (sys-power/pm-utils-1.4.1::gentoo, installed)
>=sys-apps/util-linux-2.13 required by (www-plugins/nspluginwrapper-1.4.4::gentoo, installed)
>=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.14::gentoo, installed)
sys-apps/util-linux required by (app-text/build-docbook-catalog-1.4::gentoo, installed)

(sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
>=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86-r6 required by (virtual/init-0::gentoo, installed)


???

Thank you very much in advance for any unblocking help ! :)
Best regards,
mcc


pandu at poluan

Aug 29, 2011, 7:51 PM

Post #2 of 13 (2254 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

Your sysvinit is 2.88-r1. Try upgrading it to 2.88-r3, as wanted by util-linux.

You may have to unmask it in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords

Rgds,


On 2011-08-30, meino.cramer [at] gmx <meino.cramer [at] gmx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I get out of this:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild U ~] sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 [2.19.1-r1] USE="cramfs crypt
> ncurses nls perl unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -slang
> -static-libs% (-uclibc)" 4,507 kB
> [blocks B ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3" is
> blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.20)
>
> Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 4,507 kB
> Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)
>
> * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> * installed at the same time on the same system.
>
> (sys-apps/util-linux-2.20::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in
> by
> >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.73-r1::gentoo,
> installed)
> >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (sys-fs/udev-164-r2::gentoo,
> installed)
> >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (x11-libs/libSM-1.2.0::gentoo,
> installed)
> sys-apps/util-linux required by (app-text/xmlto-0.0.23::gentoo,
> installed)
> >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (dev-libs/apr-1.4.4::gentoo,
> installed)
> sys-apps/util-linux required by @system
> >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.13 required by
> (sys-power/pm-utils-1.4.1::gentoo, installed)
> >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.13 required by
> (www-plugins/nspluginwrapper-1.4.4::gentoo, installed)
> >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by
> (sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.14::gentoo, installed)
> sys-apps/util-linux required by
> (app-text/build-docbook-catalog-1.4::gentoo, installed)
>
> (sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
> >=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86-r6 required by (virtual/init-0::gentoo,
> installed)
>
>
> ???
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any unblocking help ! :)
> Best regards,
> mcc
>
>
>
>
>


--
--
Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer
My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/


meino.cramer at gmx

Aug 29, 2011, 8:29 PM

Post #3 of 13 (2254 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

Hi,

is it normal/ok, that an unmasked package pulls in a masked one?

Best regards,
mcc



Pandu Poluan <pandu [at] poluan> [11-08-30 04:56]:
> Your sysvinit is 2.88-r1. Try upgrading it to 2.88-r3, as wanted by util-linux.
>
> You may have to unmask it in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
>
> Rgds,
>
>
> On 2011-08-30, meino.cramer [at] gmx <meino.cramer [at] gmx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How can I get out of this:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > [ebuild U ~] sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 [2.19.1-r1] USE="cramfs crypt
> > ncurses nls perl unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -slang
> > -static-libs% (-uclibc)" 4,507 kB
> > [blocks B ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3" is
> > blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.20)
> >
> > Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 4,507 kB
> > Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)
> >
> > * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> > * installed at the same time on the same system.
> >
> > (sys-apps/util-linux-2.20::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in
> > by
> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.73-r1::gentoo,
> > installed)
> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (sys-fs/udev-164-r2::gentoo,
> > installed)
> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (x11-libs/libSM-1.2.0::gentoo,
> > installed)
> > sys-apps/util-linux required by (app-text/xmlto-0.0.23::gentoo,
> > installed)
> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (dev-libs/apr-1.4.4::gentoo,
> > installed)
> > sys-apps/util-linux required by @system
> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.13 required by
> > (sys-power/pm-utils-1.4.1::gentoo, installed)
> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.13 required by
> > (www-plugins/nspluginwrapper-1.4.4::gentoo, installed)
> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by
> > (sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.14::gentoo, installed)
> > sys-apps/util-linux required by
> > (app-text/build-docbook-catalog-1.4::gentoo, installed)
> >
> > (sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
> > >=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86-r6 required by (virtual/init-0::gentoo,
> > installed)
> >
> >
> > ???
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance for any unblocking help ! :)
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> --
> Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer
> My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/
>


pandu at poluan

Aug 30, 2011, 12:15 AM

Post #4 of 13 (2258 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

If you checked sysvinit's changelog, the latest (-r3) has a note about
something that sysvinit will no longer make because it's now provided
by unix-utils. (Sorry, I forgot what, exactly).

So in this case, installing sysvinit < -r3 will conflict with unix-utils.

It is not that unknown -- in the Gentoo world -- for a stable package
to pull in an unstable package, because packages don't get stabilized
at the same time.

So, just put in the line '=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 ~amd64 ~x86' in
/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords and be merry :)

Personally, I'd put '<=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r99 ~amd64 ~x86' in that
file. I have the conviction that versions with greater '-r' would be
better, since it's a revision to the same version.

(Of course, this bit me once, when a hardened-sources with larger -r
is buggy; but the problem was fixed with a newer -r after two or three
days.)

Rgds,


On 2011-08-30, meino.cramer [at] gmx <meino.cramer [at] gmx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it normal/ok, that an unmasked package pulls in a masked one?
>
> Best regards,
> mcc
>
>
>
> Pandu Poluan <pandu [at] poluan> [11-08-30 04:56]:
>> Your sysvinit is 2.88-r1. Try upgrading it to 2.88-r3, as wanted by
>> util-linux.
>>
>> You may have to unmask it in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
>>
>> Rgds,
>>
>>
>> On 2011-08-30, meino.cramer [at] gmx <meino.cramer [at] gmx> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > How can I get out of this:
>> >
>> > Calculating dependencies... done!
>> > [ebuild U ~] sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 [2.19.1-r1] USE="cramfs crypt
>> > ncurses nls perl unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -slang
>> > -static-libs% (-uclibc)" 4,507 kB
>> > [blocks B ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3
>> > ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3" is
>> > blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.20)
>> >
>> > Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 4,507 kB
>> > Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)
>> >
>> > * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
>> > * installed at the same time on the same system.
>> >
>> > (sys-apps/util-linux-2.20::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled
>> > in
>> > by
>> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by
>> > (sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.73-r1::gentoo,
>> > installed)
>> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (sys-fs/udev-164-r2::gentoo,
>> > installed)
>> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by
>> > (x11-libs/libSM-1.2.0::gentoo,
>> > installed)
>> > sys-apps/util-linux required by (app-text/xmlto-0.0.23::gentoo,
>> > installed)
>> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (dev-libs/apr-1.4.4::gentoo,
>> > installed)
>> > sys-apps/util-linux required by @system
>> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.13 required by
>> > (sys-power/pm-utils-1.4.1::gentoo, installed)
>> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.13 required by
>> > (www-plugins/nspluginwrapper-1.4.4::gentoo, installed)
>> > >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by
>> > (sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.14::gentoo, installed)
>> > sys-apps/util-linux required by
>> > (app-text/build-docbook-catalog-1.4::gentoo, installed)
>> >
>> > (sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
>> > >=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86-r6 required by (virtual/init-0::gentoo,
>> > installed)
>> >
>> >
>> > ???
>> >
>> > Thank you very much in advance for any unblocking help ! :)
>> > Best regards,
>> > mcc
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer
>> My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/
>>
>
>
>


--
--
Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer
My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/


neil at digimed

Aug 30, 2011, 12:56 AM

Post #5 of 13 (2243 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:15:07 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> It is not that unknown -- in the Gentoo world -- for a stable package
> to pull in an unstable package, because packages don't get stabilized
> at the same time.

It is not unknown, but it is wrong. Stable packages should never pull in
testing packages and a bug report should be filed.


--
Neil Bothwick

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


sebastian at darkmetatron

Aug 30, 2011, 12:59 AM

Post #6 of 13 (2245 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

Am 30.08.2011 09:15, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> Personally, I'd put '<=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r99 ~amd64 ~x86' in that
> file. I have the conviction that versions with greater '-r' would be
> better, since it's a revision to the same version.

'~sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88 ~amd64 ~x86' does the same as ~ matches on all
'-r' of a specific version so in this case it matches everything from
sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r1 to sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r999999 (and even above)

Why unmask for two arches ~amd64 and ~x86?

Greetings

Sebastian
Attachments: signature.asc (0.88 KB)


pandu at poluan

Aug 30, 2011, 1:41 AM

Post #7 of 13 (2239 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

Because I don't know Meino's arch ;)

Or, to be more precise, I have a common package.accept_keywords for
all my Gentoo systems, some of them x86 and others amd64, so it's a
habit of mine to unmask both :)

Rgds,


On 2011-08-30, Sebastian Be├čler <sebastian [at] darkmetatron> wrote:
> Am 30.08.2011 09:15, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
>
>> Personally, I'd put '<=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r99 ~amd64 ~x86' in that
>> file. I have the conviction that versions with greater '-r' would be
>> better, since it's a revision to the same version.
>
> '~sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88 ~amd64 ~x86' does the same as ~ matches on all
> '-r' of a specific version so in this case it matches everything from
> sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r1 to sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r999999 (and even above)
>
> Why unmask for two arches ~amd64 and ~x86?
>
> Greetings
>
> Sebastian
>
>


--
--
Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer
My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/


pandu at poluan

Aug 30, 2011, 1:43 AM

Post #8 of 13 (2240 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

That's right. Not unknown, but incorrect.

Sorry for not writing that, I just kind of forgot.

(Been forgetful about many things, lately.)

Rgds,


On 2011-08-30, Neil Bothwick <neil [at] digimed> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:15:07 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
>
>> It is not that unknown -- in the Gentoo world -- for a stable package
>> to pull in an unstable package, because packages don't get stabilized
>> at the same time.
>
> It is not unknown, but it is wrong. Stable packages should never pull in
> testing packages and a bug report should be filed.
>
>
> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
>


--
--
Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer
My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/


neil at digimed

Aug 30, 2011, 1:54 AM

Post #9 of 13 (2239 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 15:41:48 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> Or, to be more precise, I have a common package.accept_keywords for
> all my Gentoo systems, some of them x86 and others amd64, so it's a
> habit of mine to unmask both :)

It's just as easy to unmask neither. If an entry in package.unmask does
not specify an arch, portage automatically using the testing version of
whatever is in make.conf.

PS, please don't top post.


--
Neil Bothwick

WITLAG: The delay between delivery and comprehension of a joke.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


neil at digimed

Aug 30, 2011, 1:59 AM

Post #10 of 13 (2239 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 04:27:16 +0200, meino.cramer [at] gmx wrote:

> How can I get out of this:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild U ~] sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 [2.19.1-r1] USE="cramfs crypt
> ncurses nls perl unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -slang
> -static-libs% (-uclibc)" 4,507 kB
> [blocks B ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3" is blocking
> sys-apps/util-linux-2.20)

util-linux-2.20 is ~arch. An ~arch portage should resolve this block
automatically. Are you running a mixture of stable and testing packages?


--
Neil Bothwick

This chicken has no beak, said Tom impeccably.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


meino.cramer at gmx

Aug 31, 2011, 8:03 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2114 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

Sebastian Be▀ler <sebastian [at] darkmetatron> [11-08-30 18:01]:
> Am 30.08.2011 09:15, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
>
> > Personally, I'd put '<=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r99 ~amd64 ~x86' in that
> > file. I have the conviction that versions with greater '-r' would be
> > better, since it's a revision to the same version.
>
> '~sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88 ~amd64 ~x86' does the same as ~ matches on all
> '-r' of a specific version so in this case it matches everything from
> sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r1 to sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r999999 (and even above)
>
> Why unmask for two arches ~amd64 and ~x86?
>
> Greetings
>
> Sebastian
>

Hi,

I finally did this, but got further problems:


solfire:/root>emerge --color=n -p -v --newuse --update --deep world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild U ~] sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 [2.19.1-r1] USE="cramfs crypt ncurses nls perl unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -slang -static-libs% (-uclibc)" 4,507 kB
[ebuild U ~] sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 [2.88-r2] USE="(-ibm) (-selinux) -static" 0 kB
[blocks b ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3" is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.20)

Total: 2 packages (2 upgrades), Size of downloads: 4,507 kB



The entry in package.keywords is:

<=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r999 ~amd64


?

Best regards,
mcc


neil at digimed

Sep 1, 2011, 1:15 AM

Post #12 of 13 (2112 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 05:03:21 +0200, meino.cramer [at] gmx wrote:

> I finally did this, but got further problems:
>
>
> solfire:/root>emerge --color=n -p -v --newuse --update --deep world
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild U ~] sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 [2.19.1-r1] USE="cramfs crypt
> ncurses nls perl unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -slang
> -static-libs% (-uclibc)" 4,507 kB
> [ebuild U ~] sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 [2.88-r2] USE="(-ibm)
> (-selinux) -static" 0 kB
> [blocks b ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3
> ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3" is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.20)
>
> Total: 2 packages (2 upgrades), Size of downloads: 4,507 kB

That's not a problem, merely information. the lower case b on the block
means that portage is able to resolve it. Let the emerge proceed and all
will be fine.


--
Neil Bothwick

A friend of mine sent me a postcard with a satellite photo of the
entire planet on it, and on the back he wrote, "Wish you were here."
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


stroller at stellar

Mar 18, 2012, 1:37 PM

Post #13 of 13 (1494 views)
Permalink
Re: Important package blocked by another important package [In reply to]

On 30 August 2011, at 03:27, meino.cramer [at] gmx wrote:
> ů
> How can I get out of this:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild U ~] sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 [2.19.1-r1] USE="cramfs crypt ncurses nls perl unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -slang -static-libs% (-uclibc)" 4,507 kB
> [blocks B ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3" is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.20)
>
> Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 4,507 kB
> Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)
>
> * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> * installed at the same time on the same system.

For the benefit of x86 users, this pair of mutual blocks seems to have hit stable recently (in the last 5 weeks since I last updated world).

Stable portage (2.1.10.44) doesn't automagically resolve the blocks.

Seems like it's safe to resolve this with:
emerge -C sys-apps/sysvinit && emerge -1 sys-apps/util-linux sys-apps/sysvinit

I've just done that and it's all completed happily with no errors. I haven't rebooted, yet, but I have a degree of confidence everything's ok with this.

I guess there's no-one on this list who needs to know this (so please don't feel obligated to respond about how I should use an unstable portage which will handle these blockers automagically), but I make this comment for the sake of posterity and the archives, so it can be found on Google if anyone else is looking in the next few days, weeks or (heaven forbid!) months. April onwards, feel free to hit reply and ask me for an update.

Stroller.

Gentoo user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.