Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: User
Re: [EXAMPLE] Configuring xorg without hal

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

w41ter at gmail

Dec 27, 2010, 3:52 PM

Re: [EXAMPLE] Configuring xorg without hal [In reply to]

On 12/27/2010 06:03 AM, walt wrote:
> My new (post-hal) mouse config:
>
> Section "InputClass" <----- note the new word "Class", not "Device"
> Identifier "trackball" <----- can be anything you want
> MatchProduct "ImExPS" <-----*new*. Matches the product name!

Clarification about that MatchProduct keyword:

Hal and udev differ slightly in the way they identify hardware devices
(is anyone surprised?).

When I run 'lshal' to display all my hardware, I see this about the mouse:

info.product = 'ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse'

Now for the confusion. When I run 'udevadm info --export-db" I see:

E: PRODUCT=11/2/6/6d
E: NAME="ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse"

Note that MatchProduct in the xorg.conf file really wants the udev NAME,
*not* the udev PRODUCT.

I suppose the MatchProduct keyword was selected back in the day when
hal was still the boss instead of a has-been. "MatchName" would be much
less confusing than "MatchProduct". But don't hold your breath waiting
for it to change.