Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: PPC-User

[Fwd: Install problems]

Gentoo ppc-user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

leejadsl at eircom

Feb 7, 2005, 12:05 PM

[Fwd: Install problems]

Hi,

I'm soon to be a new Gentoo user, but I can't get past the
installation. My query to the forum was no good, and the developers at
Gentoo.org have palmed me off and said that the mailing lists might help
me out. Please, you're my last chance.

I give the parameter at boot to:

G5-devfs docache

So I should have the program cached when I get to the 'Stages' part of
the installation. However, every time I attempt to change CDs I cannot
unmount the cdrom and switch to Stage 3, or 2, or 1.

Please help me. I've spent a week trying to get this up and running and
I really can't tell what I'm doing wrong. After I give the command:

eject

to get the CD out, then bash goes crazy, says everything is wrong
(including the simple command: ls /dev/) and I can't even logout, I have
to hold down the power button, boot back to OS X, eject the CD and then
reinsert the Live CD if I want to try again. Someone must have
experienced this before, but I can't find a support query on it anywhere.

Jon
Attachments: message-rfc822.eml (1.35 KB)

wormo at toucan

Feb 8, 2005, 1:02 PM

Re: [Fwd: Install problems] [In reply to]

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Jon Lee wrote:

> I give the parameter at boot to:
>
> G5-devfs docache
>
> So I should have the program cached when I get to the 'Stages' part of
> the installation. However, every time I attempt to change CDs I cannot
> unmount the cdrom and switch to Stage 3, or 2, or 1.

This does sound like a bug that you should report, but how about changing
your method of installing instead of getting stuck on this? There are
plenty of ways to install Gentoo!

* Use a universal live CD that has stages included so you don't have to
switch CDs
* Copy the stage CDs as iso images to your OS X partition and do loopback
mounts of the images
* Set up networking from the live CD and download the stages to your linux
partition

--SJLC