Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: PPC-User

emerges failing

Gentoo ppc-user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

george at mutualdata

Sep 27, 2004, 5:43 PM

emerges failing

I'm having a number of "emerge <package>" fail on my new gentoo system. One
example is that when I was building koffice, I got an Internal Compiler Error
while building paste.cpp.

I found this unusual, as there must be 100's or 1,000's of ppc users out there
building this package...

I'm not used to gentoo, really, I come from RHL and SuSE. Even then with
building software, I would rarely get this type of error.

I'm not sure the best way to proceed and I'm hoping for some guidance from
this list.

Thanks!

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.

sean at sfsullivan

Sep 27, 2004, 6:55 PM

Re: emerges failing [In reply to]

On Monday 27 September 2004 07:43 pm, Michael George wrote:
> I'm having a number of "emerge <package>" fail on my new gentoo system.
> One example is that when I was building koffice, I got an Internal Compiler
> Error while building paste.cpp.
>
> I found this unusual, as there must be 100's or 1,000's of ppc users out
> there building this package...
>
> I'm not used to gentoo, really, I come from RHL and SuSE. Even then with
> building software, I would rarely get this type of error.
>
> I'm not sure the best way to proceed and I'm hoping for some guidance from
> this list.
>
> Thanks!

I had a lot of problems building C++ apps. I found it was because I had
PREEMPT built in to my kernel. Check to see if you have preemptive built in.
I also had some troubles using most of the gcc-3.3.3 builds. When I upgraded
to 3.4.1 I started having great luck.

You might want to list your CFLAGS from /etc/make.conf as well. Certain cflags
can cause some apps to fail.

Sean

ckingsley at gmail

Sep 27, 2004, 8:11 PM

Re: emerges failing [In reply to]

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:55:57 -0500, Sean Sullivan <sean [at] sfsullivan> wrote:
> I had a lot of problems building C++ apps. I found it was because I had
> PREEMPT built in to my kernel. Check to see if you have preemptive built in.

Yea I tried preempt on my iBook once. It causes the stragest errors I
have ever seen. Dont use it on ppc.

> You might want to list your CFLAGS from /etc/make.conf as well. Certain cflags
> can cause some apps to fail.

yea, What are your CFLAGS?

--Colin

george at mutualdata

Sep 28, 2004, 7:34 AM

Re: emerges failing [In reply to]

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 08:55:57PM -0500, Sean Sullivan wrote:
> On Monday 27 September 2004 07:43 pm, Michael George wrote:
>
> I had a lot of problems building C++ apps. I found it was because I had
> PREEMPT built in to my kernel. Check to see if you have preemptive built in.
> I also had some troubles using most of the gcc-3.3.3 builds. When I upgraded
> to 3.4.1 I started having great luck.

I rebuilt my kernel so that it wasn't preemptible and that is helping so far.

> You might want to list your CFLAGS from /etc/make.conf as well. Certain cflags
> can cause some apps to fail.

Is there a std. procedure for determining if this is the case?