Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: PPC-User

getting sound (xmms/alsaplayer) to work on ibook G3

Gentoo ppc-user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

milter at free

Sep 27, 2004, 12:07 PM

getting sound (xmms/alsaplayer) to work on ibook G3

Hi,

I can't get xmms/alsaplayer to work on ly ibook (G3, 700Mhz, 2001 late
ed) running kernel 2.6.7-gentoo-r14 .
I've tested mp3 playing and it does not work (mpg321 is
ok however).

Any hint about what I'm missing ?

xmms plays mp3 too fast
alsaplayer just makes strange noise (like no channel on TV)

xmms when reading a stream returns :
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken pipe
alsa_free(): snd_pcm_start() failed: Broken pipe

Someone mentioned using esd instead.

How did you get it working ?

My settings ae :

USE="dvd cdr alsa cups gnome fbcon -pda X vim-with-x ncurses radeon
directfb quicktime mpeg avi flash mozsvg moznoirc moznomail samba
maildir imap milter mbox mailwrapper -ipv6 gtk2 perl berkdb threads tcpd
mailbox imap opengl oggvorbisi nls"

Kernel related to sound settings :
CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_DMASOUND_PMAC=m
CONFIG_DMASOUND=m
CONFIG_SND=m
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM=m
CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_POWERMAC=m
CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO=m
CONFIG_SOUND_PRIME=m
CONFIG_I2C=y
CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV=m
CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT=y
CONFIG_I2C_KEYWEST=m
CONFIG_FB_RADEON_I2C=y

Regards,

SL/

PS : I had a look at the FAQ and http://ppcconfdb.sourceforge.net/
The FAQ mentions dmasound_pmac but I can't load it when alsa
is activated :
modprobe dmasound_pmac
FATAL: Error inserting dmasound_pmac
(/lib/modules/2.6.7-gentoo-r14/kernel/sound/oss/dmasound/dmasound_pmac.ko):
No such device
And after a /etc/init.d/alsasound stop it does not work either.

ovidiu at targujiu

Sep 27, 2004, 1:18 PM

Re: getting sound (xmms/alsaplayer) to work on ibook G3 [In reply to]

You don't need dmasound_core or dmasound_pmac when using alsa. Make sure
that you insert the module snd_powermac
(add it in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 an entry snd_powermac and
remove any dmasound_*).
Emerge alsa-utils, and edit /etc/modules.d/alsa by changing:
alias snd-card-0 snd-powermac
Then use modules-update and rc-update add alsasound boot
Now, you should have alsa working. Use also alsamixer to unmute
everything that you need.

Regards,
Ovidiu

iago at glare

Sep 27, 2004, 3:05 PM

Re: getting sound (xmms/alsaplayer) to work on ibook G3 [In reply to]

I had your same problem, but I solved it using oss emulation.
you should enable oss useflag and then recompile xmms, after inserting
the right modules in your .config
I don't know a better solution, but at least I can hear a right timing
for my mp3s. I should add that mplayer too works really bad with alsa as
audio output, on my system.

milter at free

Sep 28, 2004, 11:45 AM

Re: getting sound (xmms/alsaplayer) to work on ibook G3 [In reply to]

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:05:10PM +0000, iago wrote:
> I had your same problem, but I solved it using oss emulation.
> you should enable oss useflag and then recompile xmms, after inserting
> the right modules in your .config
> I don't know a better solution, but at least I can hear a right timing
> for my mp3s. I should add that mplayer too works really bad with alsa as
> audio output, on my system.

Thanks : using OSS solves indeed the problem (worth being added to the
FAQ).
There is a second solution : changing ALSA default timers : as
mentioned on http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=162622 :
<<
XMMS works too but you have to manually change the output plugin to ALSA
and change its configuration : set the Buffer time to 3000ms and the Period
time to 500ms.

Hope it can help other Gentoo ibook users.

Regards,

SL/