Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: PPC-User

How to merge a package with no "ppc" flag set?

Gentoo ppc-user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

lenroc at gmail

Sep 18, 2004, 7:19 PM

How to merge a package with no "ppc" flag set?

I'd like to emerge a package (mambo) that's marked "~x86" and nothing
else. Since it's just a PHP based web app, I doubt it'll have any
platform-specific issues.

Is there any way for me to emerge the package and see how it works, or
should I just submit a bug asking for the "~ppc" flag to be added?

Here's some info on the package:
http://packages.gentoo.org/ebuilds/?mambo-4.5

--
Lenroc

lenroc at gmail

Sep 18, 2004, 8:16 PM

Re: How to merge a package with no "ppc" flag set? [In reply to]

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:19:12 -0700, Lenroc wrote:
>> Is there any way for me to emerge the package and see how it works, or
>> should I just submit a bug asking for the "~ppc" flag to be added?

Stefan responded, off list:
| Arguably the most elegant way to do this is to insert a corresponding
| line in /etc/portage/package.keywords (create the file--and
| directory--if not present) to enable the ~x86 version for this package
| only. In your case, insert the following line:
|
| www-apps/mambo -* ~x86

That worked great, thanks Stefan!

I haven't tried 'running' it yet, but it emerged just fine.

--
Lenroc

dbelan2 at cs

Sep 18, 2004, 10:16 PM

Re: Re: How to merge a package with no "ppc" flag set? [In reply to]

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 08:16:02PM -0700, Lenroc wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:19:12 -0700, Lenroc wrote:
> >> Is there any way for me to emerge the package and see how it works, or
> >> should I just submit a bug asking for the "~ppc" flag to be added?
>
> Stefan responded, off list:
> | Arguably the most elegant way to do this is to insert a corresponding
> | line in /etc/portage/package.keywords (create the file--and
> | directory--if not present) to enable the ~x86 version for this package
> | only. In your case, insert the following line:
> |
> | www-apps/mambo -* ~x86
>
> That worked great, thanks Stefan!
>
> I haven't tried 'running' it yet, but it emerged just fine.

Hi Lenroc,

It is easier to simply provide the ebuild filename:
emerge /usr/portage/..../thepackage-version.ebuild

If it works great simply let the ppc developer know and
they will keyword it ~ppc.

David

---

David Bélanger
Graduate Student
School of Computer Science
McGill University
Office: MC226

Web page: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dbelan2/
Public key: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dbelan2/public_key.txt

bruda at cs

Sep 19, 2004, 6:42 AM

Re: Re: How to merge a package with no "ppc" flag set? [In reply to]

At 20:16 -0700 on 2004-9-18 Lenroc wrote:

> Stefan responded, off list:

Damn, sorry, I keep forgetting that this list does not have a reply-to
header. :-/ Thanks for propagating my post.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.

ckingsley at gmail

Sep 19, 2004, 12:44 PM

Re: Re: How to merge a package with no "ppc" flag set? [In reply to]

> Hi Lenroc,
>
> It is easier to simply provide the ebuild filename:
> emerge /usr/portage/..../thepackage-version.ebuild
>
> If it works great simply let the ppc developer know and
> they will keyword it ~ppc.
>
> David
>
> ---

Do Not EVER do this. It circumvents all the sanity checking done by
portage, and screws up portage's record keeping. It is unsupported,
wrong, and evil. You have been warned

Colin