Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: PPC-User
Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

markknecht at gmail

Sep 24, 2010, 5:23 PM

Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?! [In reply to]

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Enlightened User <linux [at] nc> wrote:
> On Sep 24, 2010, at 4:30 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Joseph Jezak <josejx [at] gentoo> wrote:
>>>
>>>  My responses are inline this time. It's easier when there's so much
>>> going on!

>>> Okay, these look exactly as expected. You've booted into the shell fine
>>> and the kernel does detect the hard drive fine. It appears that the disk
>>> was not cleanly unmounted, which is what the messages in the bottom
>>> picture indicate. Once you get USB working so we can type into the
>>> console, we'll take a look at what's actually going on.

>>> If you use menuconfig and you go to the "Help" option, it will tell you
>>> what dependencies need to be set in order to build the module. Most
>>> likely, you did not set the USB subsystem itself to be built in.

>>> You're using the old style driver which results in devices named hdX#.
>>> It's called IDE_PMAC. The new driver which uses the sdX# naming
>>> convention (and uses libpata), is called PATA_MACIO.

>>> I would built it in for now, it'll be easier since there's no good way
>>> to get into the system to tell it to load the drivers.
>>>
>>> -Joe
>>>

>> Hi Joe,
>>  OK - I got USB working and with the append="init=/bin/bash" in I
>> can at least do cd and ls commands.
>>
>>  All the devices you asked about exist - /dev/hda1 through 20,
>> /dev/hdb1 through 20, /dev/null and /dev/zero - all exist.
>>
>>  Doing know if it's a clue but in this  append="init=/bin/bash"
>> state I was unable to do a reboot or a shutdown as it complained about
>> missing initctl I think?
>>
>>  Being that I made a number of changes to the kernel config to get
>> USB working I remove the append line from yaboot.conf and tried
>> booting into Gentoo proper but it's still stopping at the same place
>> with the same message about no mtab file.
>>
>>  I'll put the append back in and wait for further ideas.
>>
>>  Thanks for sticking with me!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>
> Assuming you are still stopping near:
> fsck.ext3...
>
> Can you confirm that /sbin/fsck.ext3 exists?
> If not, then emerge e2fsprogs.
>
> Barry

The chroot is currently doing an emerge -e @world so I've shelled into
the machine and am showing from that perspective. All the typical fsck
programs are there and I rebuilt e2fsprogs a couple of days ago.

livecd gentoo # ls /mnt/gentoo/sbin/fsck*
fsck fsck.ext2 fsck.ext4 fsck.minix
fsck.cramfs fsck.ext3 fsck.ext4dev
livecd gentoo #

When emerge -e @world completes I'll give it a reboot but somehow I
don't have much faith that it will have fixed anything. Right now I
feel it's either something missing from my kernel config, or some
critical install step that I keep missing because of the way I read
the document and maybe some step that listed inside a paragraph
instead of being called out in purple like most of them are. (They are
in there, like the locale-gen step and a few others...)

I'll check back later when the rebuild is complete.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Mark