Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: OSX

[PREFIX] Ready to go on Ubuntu...

 

 

Gentoo osx RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


sesquile at gmail

Apr 6, 2006, 3:58 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1299 views)
Permalink
[PREFIX] Ready to go on Ubuntu...

Hey Folks-

I haven't spammed anyone for a week (or tried doing PREFIXy stuff
during that time). I'm going to be trying it on Ubuntu for the next
week or so. I noticed there was some chatter about broken ROOT and
whatnot on the IRC channel. Should I start with 2.1.14? (Or is it
severely broken?)

Also, any update from the bootstrap script side? ;)

thanks

-matt

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


grobian at gentoo

Apr 6, 2006, 10:30 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1242 views)
Permalink
Re: [PREFIX] Ready to go on Ubuntu... [In reply to]

On 06-04-2006 16:58:41 -0700, m h wrote:
> Hey Folks-
>
> I haven't spammed anyone for a week (or tried doing PREFIXy stuff
> during that time). I'm going to be trying it on Ubuntu for the next
> week or so. I noticed there was some chatter about broken ROOT and
> whatnot on the IRC channel. Should I start with 2.1.14? (Or is it
> severely broken?)

For Kito :)

> Also, any update from the bootstrap script side? ;)

I made some changes to beautify it, but I haven't tested it yet on
linux. It should detect Linux itself now, but I think there are some
bugs in it still. So, bleeding edge, but you seem to like that, so go
go go :)


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


grobian at gentoo

Apr 7, 2006, 12:13 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1243 views)
Permalink
Re: [PREFIX] Ready to go on Ubuntu... [In reply to]

On 07-04-2006 08:30:39 +0200, Grobian wrote:
> On 06-04-2006 16:58:41 -0700, m h wrote:
> > Also, any update from the bootstrap script side? ;)
>
> I made some changes to beautify it, but I haven't tested it yet on
> linux. It should detect Linux itself now, but I think there are some
> bugs in it still. So, bleeding edge, but you seem to like that, so go
> go go :)

Sorry, I forgot. That's the problem with wikis IMHO, I made some
extensions to "the" wiki page. I hope they are still there, but they
describe some ideas of changing the bootstrap process somehow, such that
the newly created prefix isn't spoiled with bootstrap junk. Also, on
linux, binutils should be added to the current bootstrap, but I'd like
to figure out if the provided linker can't be used for that to speed up
bootstrapping.


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Apr 7, 2006, 5:54 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1245 views)
Permalink
Re: [PREFIX] Ready to go on Ubuntu... [In reply to]

I'm proceeding with 2.1.14...

New issue I've run into so far:

Complaint that "emake" wasn't found, which is found in
usr/portage/bin. I added ${PREFIX}/usr/portage/bin to DEFAULT_PATH in
make.globals and continued. Not sure if this is a regression (could
be user error).

-matt

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


grobian at gentoo

Apr 7, 2006, 11:10 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1243 views)
Permalink
Re: [PREFIX] Ready to go on Ubuntu... [In reply to]

On 07-04-2006 18:54:44 -0700, m h wrote:
> Complaint that "emake" wasn't found, which is found in
> usr/portage/bin. I added ${PREFIX}/usr/portage/bin to DEFAULT_PATH in
> make.globals and continued. Not sure if this is a regression (could
> be user error).

I've had this too. Setting DEFAULT_PATH means you override it, not
append to it. Copy the path from make.globals and add the paths to that
line to get what you expect.


--
Refugee
--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Apr 10, 2006, 12:25 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1242 views)
Permalink
Re: [PREFIX] Ready to go on Ubuntu... [In reply to]

On 4/8/06, grobian [at] gentoo <grobian [at] gentoo> wrote:
> On 07-04-2006 18:54:44 -0700, m h wrote:
> > Complaint that "emake" wasn't found, which is found in
> > usr/portage/bin. I added ${PREFIX}/usr/portage/bin to DEFAULT_PATH in
> > make.globals and continued. Not sure if this is a regression (could
> > be user error).
>
> I've had this too. Setting DEFAULT_PATH means you override it, not
> append to it. Copy the path from make.globals and add the paths to that
> line to get what you expect.
>

Just clarifying here. You mean hardcode the path to emake int the
ebuild which calls it?

-matt

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


grobian at gentoo

Apr 10, 2006, 12:29 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1243 views)
Permalink
Re: [PREFIX] Ready to go on Ubuntu... [In reply to]

On 10-04-2006 20:25:24 +0000, m h wrote:
> On 4/8/06, grobian [at] gentoo <grobian [at] gentoo> wrote:
> > On 07-04-2006 18:54:44 -0700, m h wrote:
> > > Complaint that "emake" wasn't found, which is found in
> > > usr/portage/bin. I added ${PREFIX}/usr/portage/bin to DEFAULT_PATH in
> > > make.globals and continued. Not sure if this is a regression (could
> > > be user error).
> >
> > I've had this too. Setting DEFAULT_PATH means you override it, not
> > append to it. Copy the path from make.globals and add the paths to that
> > line to get what you expect.
> >
>
> Just clarifying here. You mean hardcode the path to emake int the
> ebuild which calls it?

No, if you set DEFAULT_PATH in your make.conf, make sure you start by
modifying what is in make.globals. The one in make.globals is like the
default setting, and if you set it, you lose the defaults. (like then
you do "export PATH=$HOME/bin" in bash for instance).


--
Fabian Groffen
--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Apr 10, 2006, 12:38 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1243 views)
Permalink
Re: [PREFIX] Ready to go on Ubuntu... [In reply to]

On 4/10/06, Grobian <grobian [at] gentoo> wrote:
> On 10-04-2006 20:25:24 +0000, m h wrote:
> > On 4/8/06, grobian [at] gentoo <grobian [at] gentoo> wrote:
> > > On 07-04-2006 18:54:44 -0700, m h wrote:
> > > > Complaint that "emake" wasn't found, which is found in
> > > > usr/portage/bin. I added ${PREFIX}/usr/portage/bin to DEFAULT_PATH in
> > > > make.globals and continued. Not sure if this is a regression (could
> > > > be user error).
> > >
> > > I've had this too. Setting DEFAULT_PATH means you override it, not
> > > append to it. Copy the path from make.globals and add the paths to that
> > > line to get what you expect.
> > >
> >
> > Just clarifying here. You mean hardcode the path to emake int the
> > ebuild which calls it?
>
> No, if you set DEFAULT_PATH in your make.conf, make sure you start by
> modifying what is in make.globals. The one in make.globals is like the
> default setting, and if you set it, you lose the defaults. (like then
> you do "export PATH=$HOME/bin" in bash for instance).
>
>
I've only been editing the make.globals one.... are you suggesting I
edit it in make.conf now?

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list

Gentoo osx RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.