Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: OSX
Re: OSX only packages: where to store them?

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

nathan.stocks at gmail

Feb 19, 2006, 8:10 PM

Re: OSX only packages: where to store them? [In reply to]

On 2/19/06, Grobian <grobian [at] gentoo> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm opening a discussion on this subject of where to store packages that
> will only work on OSX. Examples of such packages are Dirk Shoenberger's
> qt-mac package [1] (which works by the way), and a package I just made:
> sharedmenuscocoa (which is a requirement to build Camino), and the
> package I want to have: Camino itself. They all make no sense on
> anything but OSX, and perhaps a tiny little bit on GNUstep environments,
> but I doubt that for now.
>
> Question for now is whether we want to add these packages to some
> separate tree, either within or outside of Gentoo, or have them in the
> main tree. In the latter case, we can make a separate category
> (macos-only?) to put them in, or try to mix them in the tree (where
> would qt-mac fit? and should it require a virtual because it provides
> qt?)

My personal vote is to put them in the main tree in the appropriate
existing categories.

Assuming that you put them in the main tree--AFAIK, there are ebuilds
throughout the tree that only work on one architecture or another. I
can't emerge grub on gentoo-ppc, for example. If gentoo-osx is to act
like any other architecture, then ebuild storage/categorization ought
to follow the same conventions as all the existing architectures.
None of the existing ebuilds are categorized by "architecture that
this will run on."

If gentoo-osx is really going to move forward then let's get the
ebuilds into the real tree. Following the same conventions than all
the other architectures with regards to the main portage tree seems
like a wise decision to me.

Of course, if we can't use the main tree anyway because of prefix
issues, that would be different. But would you be asking this if
there were issues preventing using the main tree?

~ Nathan