Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: OSX

Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary...

 

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Gentoo osx RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


sesquile at gmail

Dec 14, 2005, 4:21 PM

Post #1 of 32 (4139 views)
Permalink
Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary...

Kito/others who may be interested--

This probably belongs in alt-gentoo, but since it seems like half the
posts there are flames, I thought I'd post here.

I've attempted to use Haubi's toolbox with the tarballs (portage and
prefixed overlay) provided by Kito to install a prefix version of
portage on FC3 (fedora core 3).

I can't run the emerge command yet (not running as root), but I
thought I'd post what I've done since others might find it useful. I
can also put this on the wiki if necessary. It'd be nice to have
general directions on how to setup a prefixed environment that are
specific to any os (mac,linux, etc).

I'd also like feedback/suggestions. A question I have is if it is ok
to just use the /etc directory from a stage1? Do I need anything
else?

===========Steps for prefix================
* download toolsbox from http://dev.gentoo.org/~ferringb/portage/prefix/haubi/
* download portage and prefixed overlay from
http://dev.gentoo.org/~kito/distfiles/
* cd /data1/portage/dec14/toolsbox-4-20050927
* export PREFIX=/data1/portage/dec14/prefix
* gmake config PREFIX=$PREFIX
DISTURL=http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles
portage_BUILD
* mkdir buildroot/distfiles
* cp ../../kito/portage-2.0.53.03.tar.gz buildroot/distfiles/
* touch buildroot/portage/portage.fetched.done
* change portage/portage.build
* change line version to "VERSION=2.0.53.03"
* toolsbox will still fail to install portage... FIXME!
* gmake portage
* wait for a while (3 hours...)
* Everything but portage should build... install portage manually
*./configure --prefix=/data1/portage/dec14/prefix/usr
--with-offset-prefix=/data1/portage/dec14/prefix --with-user=mharrison
--with-rootuser=mharrison --with-group=dev --with-wheelgroup=dev
* make
* make install
* cp /etc directory from stage1 (downloaded from gentoo.org) into ${PREFIX}
*cp ../../stage/stageUnzipped/etc -r .
* ln -s /data1/portage/haubi/secondary-portage-snapshot-20050927/profiles/default-secondary/linux/x86
make.profile
* copy prefix overlay into /usr/portage
* cp -r /data1/portage/kito/prefix-overlay ${PREFIX}/usr/portage
* edit etc/make.conf. uncomment ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch"

======== end ============

At this point emerge -av system gives the following:
niger:mharrison[1052]
/data1/portage/dec14/prefix/usr/lib/portage/bin/emerge -av system

*** You are not in the portage group. You may experience cache problems
*** due to permissions preventing the creation of the on-disk cache.
*** Please add this user to the portage group if you wish to use portage.

Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/libc
Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/linux-sources
Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/os-headers
!!! Problem with sandbox binary. Disabling...

--- 'profiles/arch.list' is empty or not available. Empty portage tree?
emerge: root access required.

I'll remove the check for root access (since I'm doing a prefixed
install that shouldn't matter).

Also, Haubi, if you are reading this I tried to modify toolsbox to
install the 2.0 prefix portage but I get the following:
niger:mharrison[1082] gmake portage
building portage
--prefix=/data1/portage/dec14/prefix/usr
--with-offset-prefix=/data1/portage/dec14/prefix --with-user=mharrison
--with-rootuser=mharrison --with-group=dev --with-wheelgroup=dev
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install...
/data1/portage/dec14/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051214/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ginstall
-c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether gmake sets $(MAKE)... yes
configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make
distclean" there first
gmake: *** [/data1/portage/dec14/toolsbox-4-20050927/buildroot/portage/portage.niger.spikesource.com.builded]
Error 1

I've added the line
configureflags="${configureflags} --prefix=${PREFIX}/usr
--with-offset-prefix=${PREFIX}"
(since the 2.0 prefix version requires that) to the src_build section
of portage.build, but I don't know what else I need to do to get it to
install via toolsbox. Apparently it installed by hand though. Any
hints?

Hopefully this is helpful to other people who want to try prefix on
non-mac environments.

thanks

matt

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


nathan.stocks at gmail

Dec 14, 2005, 4:27 PM

Post #2 of 32 (4054 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

On 12/14/05, m h <sesquile [at] gmail> wrote:
> Kito/others who may be interested--
>
> This probably belongs in alt-gentoo, but since it seems like half the
> posts there are flames, I thought I'd post here.
>
> I've attempted to use Haubi's toolbox with the tarballs (portage and
> prefixed overlay) provided by Kito to install a prefix version of
> portage on FC3 (fedora core 3).
>
> [snip]
>
> thanks
>
> matt

Love to see any progress with prefixed-installs!

~ Nathan

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Dec 14, 2005, 6:03 PM

Post #3 of 32 (4051 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

So I have a question:
Where can I get the ${PREFIX}/usr/local/portage/profiles directory
from to bootstrap? Haubi and Kito both have them, but where did they
get them from? It's not bundled with portage itself nor is it in the
stage1....

On 12/14/05, Nathan <nathan.stocks [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 12/14/05, m h <sesquile [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Kito/others who may be interested--
> >
> > This probably belongs in alt-gentoo, but since it seems like half the
> > posts there are flames, I thought I'd post here.
> >
> > I've attempted to use Haubi's toolbox with the tarballs (portage and
> > prefixed overlay) provided by Kito to install a prefix version of
> > portage on FC3 (fedora core 3).
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > matt
>
> Love to see any progress with prefixed-installs!
>
> ~ Nathan
>
> --
> gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list
>
>

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Dec 14, 2005, 6:48 PM

Post #4 of 32 (4056 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

Another question. PORTDIR is not getting the prefixed value in
portage.py. Kito, how
are you setting this? Are you using an env variable?


On 12/14/05, m h <sesquile [at] gmail> wrote:
> So I have a question:
> Where can I get the ${PREFIX}/usr/local/portage/profiles directory
> from to bootstrap? Haubi and Kito both have them, but where did they
> get them from? It's not bundled with portage itself nor is it in the
> stage1....
>
> On 12/14/05, Nathan <nathan.stocks [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On 12/14/05, m h <sesquile [at] gmail> wrote:
> > > Kito/others who may be interested--
> > >
> > > This probably belongs in alt-gentoo, but since it seems like half the
> > > posts there are flames, I thought I'd post here.
> > >
> > > I've attempted to use Haubi's toolbox with the tarballs (portage and
> > > prefixed overlay) provided by Kito to install a prefix version of
> > > portage on FC3 (fedora core 3).
> > >
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > matt
> >
> > Love to see any progress with prefixed-installs!
> >
> > ~ Nathan
> >
> > --
> > gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list
> >
> >
>

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


kito at gentoo

Dec 14, 2005, 7:34 PM

Post #5 of 32 (4054 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

On Dec 14, 2005, at 5:21 PM, m h wrote:

> Kito/others who may be interested--
>
> This probably belongs in alt-gentoo, but since it seems like half the
> posts there are flames, I thought I'd post here.
>

Alas...

>
> I can't run the emerge command yet (not running as root),

I haven't tested this yet...what errors are you getting?

Whats in svn is working again, theres also a snapshot at http://
dev.gentoo.org/~kito/distfiles/portage-prefix-2.0.54.tar.bz2

Give that a shot see if you have any better luck.

> but I
> thought I'd post what I've done since others might find it useful. I
> can also put this on the wiki if necessary.
> It'd be nice to have
> general directions on how to setup a prefixed environment that are
> specific to any os (mac,linux, etc).

Yeah, still all on the todo list, feel free to at least copy and
paste your notes to the wiki page.

>
> I'd also like feedback/suggestions. A question I have is if it is ok
> to just use the /etc directory from a stage1? Do I need anything
> else?

for now, to be compatible with ebuilds that tinker with things in
ROOT I have been putting` [[ "${EBUILD_PHASE/install}" != "$
{EBUILD_PHASE}" ]] && export ROOT="${ROOT}${PREFIX}"` in ${PREFIX}/
etc/portage/bashrc

Thats just a hack obviously, but remember the focus here is mostly on
the ebuilds and how to minimize the necessary modifications.

--Kito
--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


kito at gentoo

Dec 14, 2005, 7:34 PM

Post #6 of 32 (4057 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

On Dec 14, 2005, at 7:48 PM, m h wrote:

> Another question. PORTDIR is not getting the prefixed value in
> portage.py. Kito, how
> are you setting this? Are you using an env variable?

What do you mean 'in portage.py' ? The constants are defined in pym/
portage_const.py and pym/portage_const_autotool.py (the latter being
defined by the options originally passed to configure)

I'm setting PREFIX at the top of ${PREFIX}/etc/make.conf and setting
everything else accordingly (my PORTDIR is a cvs checkout of the
mainline portage tree, PORTDIR_OVERLAY is the snapshot I posted)

Right now, the defaults are all still the same as vanilla portage,
i.e. /usr/*

Obviously hardcoding in make.conf breaks the ability to merge to
arbitrary locations from the command line like `PREFIX=/tmp emerge -v
boof`

>
>
> On 12/14/05, m h <sesquile [at] gmail> wrote:
>> So I have a question:
>> Where can I get the ${PREFIX}/usr/local/portage/profiles directory
>> from to bootstrap? Haubi and Kito both have them, but where did they
>> get them from? It's not bundled with portage itself nor is it in the
>> stage1....

The macos profile is in PORTDIR/profiles/default-darwin/macos/prefix.
You can either put the stuff from toolsbox in your profiles
package.provided, or make sure FEATURES="-collision-protect" and use
the ebuilds from the prefix tree to recompile your toolchain with
portage.

--Kito

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Dec 14, 2005, 11:17 PM

Post #7 of 32 (4052 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

Thanks for your response

On 12/14/05, Kito <kito [at] gentoo> wrote:
>
> On Dec 14, 2005, at 7:48 PM, m h wrote:
>
> > Another question. PORTDIR is not getting the prefixed value in
> > portage.py. Kito, how
> > are you setting this? Are you using an env variable?
>
> What do you mean 'in portage.py' ? The constants are defined in pym/
> portage_const.py and pym/portage_const_autotool.py (the latter being
> defined by the options originally passed to configure)
>

I meant that when emerge calls out to the statements, functions in
portage.py settings["PORTDIR"] is not returning a prefixed value....

> I'm setting PREFIX at the top of ${PREFIX}/etc/make.conf and setting
> everything else accordingly (my PORTDIR is a cvs checkout of the
> mainline portage tree, PORTDIR_OVERLAY is the snapshot I posted)
>
> Right now, the defaults are all still the same as vanilla portage,
> i.e. /usr/*

Sorry, but can you explain what you mean by "everything else" and "the
defaults" above? I want to make sure I'm following you.

>
> Obviously hardcoding in make.conf breaks the ability to merge to
> arbitrary locations from the command line like `PREFIX=/tmp emerge -v
> boof`
>

Well, PREFIX needs to be set somewhere...

> >
> >
> > On 12/14/05, m h <sesquile [at] gmail> wrote:
> >> So I have a question:
> >> Where can I get the ${PREFIX}/usr/local/portage/profiles directory
> >> from to bootstrap? Haubi and Kito both have them, but where did they
> >> get them from? It's not bundled with portage itself nor is it in the
> >> stage1....
>
> The macos profile is in PORTDIR/profiles/default-darwin/macos/prefix.
> You can either put the stuff from toolsbox in your profiles
> package.provided, or make sure FEATURES="-collision-protect" and use
> the ebuilds from the prefix tree to recompile your toolchain with
> portage.
>

I'm not using macos (I'm using linux). So if I understand you
correctly I don't need to change anything from the default linux
profile other than adding FEATURES="-collision-protect". Cool. My
question remains, where do I get this profile from? (In svn)

Sorry if my questions are tedious, I'm still not comfortable with
where things are located in gentoo's svn. So I'm trying to be very
specific here. Hopefully this will serve others as well.

When I get something that is working, I'll create a wiki article.

Any idea when anonymous SVN will be working?

thanks for your help

matt

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


kito at gentoo

Dec 14, 2005, 11:35 PM

Post #8 of 32 (4054 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

On Dec 15, 2005, at 12:17 AM, m h wrote:

> Thanks for your response
>
> On 12/14/05, Kito <kito [at] gentoo> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 14, 2005, at 7:48 PM, m h wrote:
>>
>>> Another question. PORTDIR is not getting the prefixed value in
>>> portage.py. Kito, how
>>> are you setting this? Are you using an env variable?
>>
>> What do you mean 'in portage.py' ? The constants are defined in pym/
>> portage_const.py and pym/portage_const_autotool.py (the latter being
>> defined by the options originally passed to configure)
>>
>
> I meant that when emerge calls out to the statements, functions in
> portage.py settings["PORTDIR"] is not returning a prefixed value....
>
>> I'm setting PREFIX at the top of ${PREFIX}/etc/make.conf and setting
>> everything else accordingly (my PORTDIR is a cvs checkout of the
>> mainline portage tree, PORTDIR_OVERLAY is the snapshot I posted)
>>
>> Right now, the defaults are all still the same as vanilla portage,
>> i.e. /usr/*
>
> Sorry, but can you explain what you mean by "everything else" and "the
> defaults" above? I want to make sure I'm following you.
>

Just start from the make.conf.example and read the comments, edit
accordingly. The main ones are:
PORTDIR=${PREFIX}/usr/portage
DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/distfiles
PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=${PREFIX}/var/tmp
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/Volumes/Portage/trunk/prefix

> I'm not using macos (I'm using linux). So if I understand you
> correctly I don't need to change anything from the default linux
> profile other than adding FEATURES="-collision-protect". Cool. My
> question remains, where do I get this profile from? (In svn)

Its not in svn currently, so you'll need to make your own. The first
thing would be setting up the packages file, to override some things
in the PORTDIR/profiles/base like the kernel and system headers,
which you won't want portage handling as your host os will provide
those.

>
> Any idea when anonymous SVN will be working?

The portage anon repo should still be available at `svn co svn://
twobit.net/portage`, otherwise the 2.0.54 snapshot in my distfiles
directory is current as of 12/14. Still waiting on daily snapshots of
the prefix tree.

Please keep the ML and/or the wiki posted with your progress on linux
and I'll incorporate the needed changes.

Cheers,

--Kito

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


grobian at gentoo

Dec 15, 2005, 12:31 AM

Post #9 of 32 (4057 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

Thank you very much! I'm going to use your steps at work to see how far
I can get. I think your problem with emerge might be that you need a
regular gentoo tree with the prefix at the moment for your profile. But
Kito might have answered that already by now.

On 14-12-2005 15:21:41 -0800, m h wrote:
> Kito/others who may be interested--
>
> This probably belongs in alt-gentoo, but since it seems like half the
> posts there are flames, I thought I'd post here.
*cough*
>

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Dec 15, 2005, 12:15 PM

Post #10 of 32 (4054 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

Thanks everyone for there responses.
I'm now re-working my effort into a script (hopefully this can be
generalized so that others can use it).

There are a few dependencies for the script:
1) Toolsbox
2) Prefixed portage
3) ebuild tree (including profile)
4) Settings (/etc files)
5) Virtual filesystem (/etc, /usr/, /var, etc that will reside under
the PREFIX directory)

I have questions with 3-5.
Kito has an ebuild tree, which I can use for 3. But his profile is
Darwin specific. He said I will need to make my own profile. But
where do I get the profile to start from? I have a gentoo
installation I can copy it from, but I'm trying to ask is where this
is stored in svn... Wait, Kito said it wasn't stored, so how is it
derived? I'm just trying to understand the process here.

Regarding 4-5. Is it ok to just take this from a stage1? If so, then
this will be arch specific (which is fine, I'm just noting that). Is
5 even necessary or will portage just add needed directories along the
way?

Will post my script later....

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Dec 15, 2005, 4:27 PM

Post #11 of 32 (4053 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

So after running my script to the point where the emerge command tries
to work I guess that #5 below of my dependencies (virtual filesystem)
is not required yet.

I've attached my script. It currently has dependencies on some
directories where I store haubi's toolbox, kito's tarballs, some
modified files I have made (${MATT} directory) and a unzipped stage1
directory. If anyone has questions fire away.

The script tries to run "emerge -av system" which currently gives the
following output:
*** You are not in the portage group. You may experience cache problems
*** due to permissions preventing the creation of the on-disk cache.
*** Please add this user to the portage group if you wish to use portage.

Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/libc
Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/linux-sources
Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/os-headers
!!! Problem with sandbox binary. Disabling...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/data1/portage/dec15/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051215/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/emerge",
line 10, in ?
import portage
File "/data1/portage/dec15/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051215/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/portage/pym/portage.py",
line 6856, in ?
portdb=portdbapi(settings["PORTDIR"])
File "/data1/portage/dec15/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051215/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/portage/pym/portage.py",
line 4834, in __init__
self.auxdb[x] = self.auxdbmodule(portage_const.DEPCACHE_PATH, x,
filtered_auxdbkeys, gid=portage_gid)
File "/data1/portage/dec15/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051215/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/portage/pym/cache/flat_hash.py",
line 22, in __init__
self._ensure_dirs()
File "/data1/portage/dec15/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051215/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/portage/pym/cache/fs_template.py",
line 61, in _ensure_dirs
os.chown(base, -1, self._gid)
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
'/data1/portage/dec15/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051215/i686-pc-linux-gnu/var/cache/edb/dep'


###########END OUTPUT###########

There's a few issues:
1. Portage group. Will most prefixed users have a portage group? I'm
assumming the answer is yes. Any debate here?

2. Invalid package name in package.provided. I need to look into
this. Any hints?

3. Sanbox binary. I think portage is looking for a sandbox executable
which is missing. Should this cause problems?

4. Python os.chown error. I'll look into this. Portage as of now has
a requirement to be run as root, which (I believe) Haubi removed, but
Kito hasn't. I don't think this should be a requirement. Debate?

I'm going to keep plowing ahead. Will keep you guys posted of progress I make.

matt

On 12/15/05, m h <sesquile [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for there responses.
> I'm now re-working my effort into a script (hopefully this can be
> generalized so that others can use it).
>
> There are a few dependencies for the script:
> 1) Toolsbox
> 2) Prefixed portage
> 3) ebuild tree (including profile)
> 4) Settings (/etc files)
> 5) Virtual filesystem (/etc, /usr/, /var, etc that will reside under
> the PREFIX directory)
>
> I have questions with 3-5.
> Kito has an ebuild tree, which I can use for 3. But his profile is
> Darwin specific. He said I will need to make my own profile. But
> where do I get the profile to start from? I have a gentoo
> installation I can copy it from, but I'm trying to ask is where this
> is stored in svn... Wait, Kito said it wasn't stored, so how is it
> derived? I'm just trying to understand the process here.
>
> Regarding 4-5. Is it ok to just take this from a stage1? If so, then
> this will be arch specific (which is fine, I'm just noting that). Is
> 5 even necessary or will portage just add needed directories along the
> way?
>
> Will post my script later....
>
Attachments: bootstrap.sh (1.75 KB)


sesquile at gmail

Dec 15, 2005, 5:35 PM

Post #12 of 32 (4057 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

Got around (hacked around) python issue (I have no portage user
currently, only the group). So in portage_data.py, I override
portage_uid to my userid
portage_uid=os.getuid()
and I'm rolling again.
Now I get the following:

Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/libc
Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/linux-sources
Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/os-headers
!!! Problem with sandbox binary. Disabling...

PORTDIR /usr/portage
--- 'profiles/arch.list' is empty or not available. Empty portage tree?

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating system dependencies
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=app-shells/bash-3.0-r9".



!!! Problem resolving dependencies for >=app-shells/bash-3.0-r9
!!! Depgraph creation failed.
=========END OUTPUT============
Note the debug statement for PORTDIR, it is not prefixed!
I have the following set in make.conf:
PORTDIR=${PREFIX}/usr/portage
Am I missing something?

I'll hack it for now (that should get rid of the arch.list error).

Hopefully people don't mind the spam. Again, I'm not a gentoo dev, so
I'm learning about the guts of portage, hopefully this is useful (at
least as psuedo-dev notes) for someone else....

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Dec 15, 2005, 5:59 PM

Post #13 of 32 (4054 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

Ok, I'm running into the consistancy message that Haubi mentioned.
I've prefix set to
/data1/portage/dec15/prefix
but the toolsbox prefix (is that the correct nomenclature?) (I'll call
it PREFIX2) is:
/data1/portage/dec15/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051215/i686-pc-linux-gnu

I'll need to trace through to see whats happening. My make.conf in
PREFIX2/etc is not being read even though I modify it....

I'm sure I'm forgetting something somewhere... I'll step through to
see what I find.

On 12/15/05, m h <sesquile [at] gmail> wrote:
> Got around (hacked around) python issue (I have no portage user
> currently, only the group). So in portage_data.py, I override
> portage_uid to my userid
> portage_uid=os.getuid()
> and I'm rolling again.
> Now I get the following:
>
> Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/libc
> Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/linux-sources
> Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/os-headers
> !!! Problem with sandbox binary. Disabling...
>
> PORTDIR /usr/portage
> --- 'profiles/arch.list' is empty or not available. Empty portage tree?
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating system dependencies
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=app-shells/bash-3.0-r9".
>
>
>
> !!! Problem resolving dependencies for >=app-shells/bash-3.0-r9
> !!! Depgraph creation failed.
> =========END OUTPUT============
> Note the debug statement for PORTDIR, it is not prefixed!
> I have the following set in make.conf:
> PORTDIR=${PREFIX}/usr/portage
> Am I missing something?
>
> I'll hack it for now (that should get rid of the arch.list error).
>
> Hopefully people don't mind the spam. Again, I'm not a gentoo dev, so
> I'm learning about the guts of portage, hopefully this is useful (at
> least as psuedo-dev notes) for someone else....
>

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Dec 15, 2005, 6:51 PM

Post #14 of 32 (4057 views)
Permalink
Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

While I'm firing off questions, any hints as to why there are no
ebuilds to satisfy bash? (I'm starting through the depgraph code, but
it is hairy and ugly....)

On 12/15/05, m h <sesquile [at] gmail> wrote:
> Ok, I'm running into the consistancy message that Haubi mentioned.
> I've prefix set to
> /data1/portage/dec15/prefix
> but the toolsbox prefix (is that the correct nomenclature?) (I'll call
> it PREFIX2) is:
> /data1/portage/dec15/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051215/i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> I'll need to trace through to see whats happening. My make.conf in
> PREFIX2/etc is not being read even though I modify it....
>
> I'm sure I'm forgetting something somewhere... I'll step through to
> see what I find.
>
> On 12/15/05, m h <sesquile [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Got around (hacked around) python issue (I have no portage user
> > currently, only the group). So in portage_data.py, I override
> > portage_uid to my userid
> > portage_uid=os.getuid()
> > and I'm rolling again.
> > Now I get the following:
> >
> > Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/libc
> > Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/linux-sources
> > Invalid package name in package.provided: virtual/os-headers
> > !!! Problem with sandbox binary. Disabling...
> >
> > PORTDIR /usr/portage
> > --- 'profiles/arch.list' is empty or not available. Empty portage tree?
> >
> > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
> >
> > Calculating system dependencies
> > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=app-shells/bash-3.0-r9".
> >
> >
> >
> > !!! Problem resolving dependencies for >=app-shells/bash-3.0-r9
> > !!! Depgraph creation failed.
> > =========END OUTPUT============
> > Note the debug statement for PORTDIR, it is not prefixed!
> > I have the following set in make.conf:
> > PORTDIR=${PREFIX}/usr/portage
> > Am I missing something?
> >
> > I'll hack it for now (that should get rid of the arch.list error).
> >
> > Hopefully people don't mind the spam. Again, I'm not a gentoo dev, so
> > I'm learning about the guts of portage, hopefully this is useful (at
> > least as psuedo-dev notes) for someone else....
> >
>

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


nathan.stocks at gmail

Dec 15, 2005, 10:19 PM

Post #15 of 32 (4052 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

> Hopefully people don't mind the spam. Again, I'm not a gentoo dev, so

Are you kidding? I'm loving this!

~ Nathan

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


grobian at gentoo

Dec 16, 2005, 5:10 AM

Post #16 of 32 (4053 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

On 15-12-2005 22:19:09 -0700, Nathan wrote:
> > Hopefully people don't mind the spam. Again, I'm not a gentoo dev, so
>
> Are you kidding? I'm loving this!

/me seconds that (for now)


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


grobian at gentoo

Dec 16, 2005, 5:13 AM

Post #17 of 32 (4057 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

On 15-12-2005 16:35:36 -0800, m h wrote:
> PORTDIR /usr/portage
> --- 'profiles/arch.list' is empty or not available. Empty portage tree?

> I'll hack it for now (that should get rid of the arch.list error).

This somehow indicates your profile isn't setup correctly. I had that
myself too. If you issue `emerge info` it should on the first row (not
the !!! ones) encode where it finds the profile. For me, it turned out
I used a symlink, and it doesn't like that. Make sure you use absolute
paths for various paths in etc/make.conf. Please post back your emerge
info.


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


ferringb at gentoo

Dec 16, 2005, 5:18 AM

Post #18 of 32 (4053 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 05:51:26PM -0800, m h wrote:
> While I'm firing off questions, any hints as to why there are no
> ebuilds to satisfy bash? (I'm starting through the depgraph code, but
> it is hairy and ugly....)
prefix portage _only_ allows using EAPI="prefix" ebuilds right now.

Down the line, if prefix is approved/integrated, then an actual EAPI
release will be used instead of the fake one created.

Either way, why there are no ebuilds is due to portage automatically
filtering out all ebuilds that lack a matching EAPI.

It's a protection feature, if portage doesn't know of that EAPI level,
it won't allow the user to use it.

Unless you're using the overlay already, in which case I question if
portage is actually using the prefix overlay ;)
~harring


grobian at gentoo

Dec 16, 2005, 5:19 AM

Post #19 of 32 (4060 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

I have to correct myself. This is not the profile thing. Though the
check can't hurt I think.

IIRC you need to have the following setup:
PORTDIR=/path/to/live/rsync/tree
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/path/to/kitos/overlay/snapshot

The overlay doesn't have the arch.list files. We plan on adding them +
others, so the rsync tree won't be necessary any more.


On 16-12-2005 13:13:57 +0100, Grobian wrote:
> On 15-12-2005 16:35:36 -0800, m h wrote:
> > PORTDIR /usr/portage
> > --- 'profiles/arch.list' is empty or not available. Empty portage tree?
>
> > I'll hack it for now (that should get rid of the arch.list error).
>
> This somehow indicates your profile isn't setup correctly. I had that
> myself too. If you issue `emerge info` it should on the first row (not
> the !!! ones) encode where it finds the profile. For me, it turned out
> I used a symlink, and it doesn't like that. Make sure you use absolute
> paths for various paths in etc/make.conf. Please post back your emerge
> info.
>
>
> --
> Fabian Groffen
> Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
> --
> gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list
>

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


ferringb at gentoo

Dec 16, 2005, 5:20 AM

Post #20 of 32 (4050 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 04:35:36PM -0800, m h wrote:
> Got around (hacked around) python issue (I have no portage user
> currently, only the group). So in portage_data.py, I override
> portage_uid to my userid
> portage_uid=os.getuid()
> and I'm rolling again.
./configure --help | less # instead
there's configurable's for defining uid/gid. Down the line (repeating
myself), if this is mainlined, proper implementation will be created
where config can define/adjust uid/gid's to use instead of current
hardcoding at install time.
~harring


ferringb at gentoo

Dec 16, 2005, 5:26 AM

Post #21 of 32 (4056 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 04:59:15PM -0800, m h wrote:
> Ok, I'm running into the consistancy message that Haubi mentioned.
> I've prefix set to
> /data1/portage/dec15/prefix
> but the toolsbox prefix (is that the correct nomenclature?) (I'll call
> it PREFIX2) is:
> /data1/portage/dec15/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051215/i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> I'll need to trace through to see whats happening. My make.conf in
> PREFIX2/etc is not being read even though I modify it....
Betcha it 'twasn't configured properly. :)

Snag people seem to hit; adjusting prefix for configure scripts screws
with lib/exec/data crap, but _doesn't_ fool with configuration
locations. Rough configure statement that should be used
./configure --sysconfdir=${PREFIX}/etc --prefix=${PREFIX}/user \
--with-offset-prefix=${PREFIX}

~harring


ferringb at gentoo

Dec 16, 2005, 5:34 AM

Post #22 of 32 (4055 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

Bleh... 4:30am, pardon.
On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 04:26:39AM -0800, Brian Harring wrote:
> ./configure --sysconfdir=${PREFIX}/etc --prefix=${PREFIX}/user \
> --with-offset-prefix=${PREFIX}
./configure --sysconfdir=${PREFIX}/etc --prefix=${PREFIX}/usr \
--with-offset-prefix=${PREFIX}
~harring


sesquile at gmail

Dec 16, 2005, 12:10 PM

Post #23 of 32 (4056 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

Brian -
Thanks for chiming in here. And thanks for your efforts. (I was able
to meet Seemant in India two weeks ago, and he couldn't say enough
good about you).

On 12/16/05, Brian Harring <ferringb [at] gentoo> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 05:51:26PM -0800, m h wrote:
> > While I'm firing off questions, any hints as to why there are no
> > ebuilds to satisfy bash? (I'm starting through the depgraph code, but
> > it is hairy and ugly....)
> prefix portage _only_ allows using EAPI="prefix" ebuilds right now.
>
> Down the line, if prefix is approved/integrated, then an actual EAPI
> release will be used instead of the fake one created.
>
> Either way, why there are no ebuilds is due to portage automatically
> filtering out all ebuilds that lack a matching EAPI.
>
> It's a protection feature, if portage doesn't know of that EAPI level,
> it won't allow the user to use it.

As far as I understand EAPI is used to define a sort of super class
(in OO terms) for an ebuild. (Feel free to correct).
I'm using Kito's prefixed ebuilds, which have the line
EAPI="prefix"
in them.

I'm not specifying the overlay right now, but I'm sure there are other
environment errors. I'm assumming if I deal with them, this issue
will go away.

matt

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Dec 16, 2005, 12:12 PM

Post #24 of 32 (4078 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

Here's my emerge info (PORTDIR is currently hardcoded in this one....):
!!! Relying on the shell to locate gcc, this may break
!!! DISTCC, installing gcc-config and setting your current gcc
!!! profile will fix this
Portage 2.0.54 (default-secondary/linux/x86, gcc-3.3.5, unavailable, 2.6.10-1.77
0_FC3 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 i686 i686
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.13
dev-lang/python: [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox: [Not Present]
sys-devel/autoconf: [Not Present]
sys-devel/automake: [Not Present]
sys-devel/binutils: [Not Present]
sys-devel/libtool: [Not Present]
sys-devel/odcctools: [Not Present]
virtual/os-headers: [Not Present]
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK=" /data1/portage/dec15/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051215
/i686-pc-linux-gnu//etc/env.d"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/
distributions/gentoo"
LANG="en_US"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/data1/portage/dec15/prefix/toolsbox-4-patchespre.20051215/i686-pc-linu
x-gnu/portage"
PREFIX="/data1/portage/dec15/prefix"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 secondary elibc_glibc kernel_linux userland_GNU"
Unset: ASFLAGS, CFLAGS, CTARGET, CXXFLAGS, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS,
PORTDIR_OVERLAY




On 12/16/05, Grobian <grobian [at] gentoo> wrote:
> On 15-12-2005 16:35:36 -0800, m h wrote:
> > PORTDIR /usr/portage
> > --- 'profiles/arch.list' is empty or not available. Empty portage tree?
>
> > I'll hack it for now (that should get rid of the arch.list error).
>
> This somehow indicates your profile isn't setup correctly. I had that
> myself too. If you issue `emerge info` it should on the first row (not
> the !!! ones) encode where it finds the profile. For me, it turned out
> I used a symlink, and it doesn't like that. Make sure you use absolute
> paths for various paths in etc/make.conf. Please post back your emerge
> info.
>
>
> --
> Fabian Groffen
> Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
> --
> gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list
>
>

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list


sesquile at gmail

Dec 16, 2005, 12:13 PM

Post #25 of 32 (4055 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Attempt to use prefix on linux as secondary... [In reply to]

Ok, I'm currently running my script again (doing sort of a daily
build) and will make sure to use PORTDIR_OVERLAY. Will post back the
results.

On 12/16/05, Grobian <grobian [at] gentoo> wrote:
> I have to correct myself. This is not the profile thing. Though the
> check can't hurt I think.
>
> IIRC you need to have the following setup:
> PORTDIR=/path/to/live/rsync/tree
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/path/to/kitos/overlay/snapshot
>
> The overlay doesn't have the arch.list files. We plan on adding them +
> others, so the rsync tree won't be necessary any more.
>
>
> On 16-12-2005 13:13:57 +0100, Grobian wrote:
> > On 15-12-2005 16:35:36 -0800, m h wrote:
> > > PORTDIR /usr/portage
> > > --- 'profiles/arch.list' is empty or not available. Empty portage tree?
> >
> > > I'll hack it for now (that should get rid of the arch.list error).
> >
> > This somehow indicates your profile isn't setup correctly. I had that
> > myself too. If you issue `emerge info` it should on the first row (not
> > the !!! ones) encode where it finds the profile. For me, it turned out
> > I used a symlink, and it doesn't like that. Make sure you use absolute
> > paths for various paths in etc/make.conf. Please post back your emerge
> > info.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Fabian Groffen
> > Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
> > --
> > gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list
> >
>
> --
> Fabian Groffen
> Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
> --
> gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list
>
>

--
gentoo-osx [at] gentoo mailing list

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Gentoo osx RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.