Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: MIPS

O2: gcc-mips or/and gcc-mips64

Gentoo mips RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

lists at seznam

O2: gcc-mips or/and gcc-mips64

Hello guys,

I would like to ask you something about gcc. Some recommendations told me It is better to use gcc-mips64. Difference between them I can guess :-) My question is: What is better for compilation of apps for O2? Is it possible to compile some apps with gcc and some with gcc-mips64? What do you recommend? Thanks.

Petr

stuartl at longlandclan

Re: O2: gcc-mips or/and gcc-mips64 [In reply to]

Petr´s mailing list wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I would like to ask you something about gcc. Some recommendations told me It is better to use gcc-mips64. Difference between them I can guess :-) My question is: What is better for compilation of apps for O2? Is it possible to compile some apps with gcc and some with gcc-mips64? What do you recommend? Thanks.

gcc-mips64, is exclusively for compilling a 64-bit kernel from an o32
userland. It's a C only compiller, and does not come with any sort of
libc implementation; so cross-compilling most apps with it will be
impossible.

| Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Atomic Linux Project -oOo- http://atomicl.berlios.de |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
Attachments: signature.asc (0.25 KB)

geoman at gentoo

Re: O2: gcc-mips or/and gcc-mips64 [In reply to]

Stuart Longland wrote:
> Petr´s mailing list wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> I would like to ask you something about gcc. Some recommendations told
>> me It is better to use gcc-mips64. Difference between them I can guess
>> :-) My question is: What is better for compilation of apps for O2? Is
>> it possible to compile some apps with gcc and some with gcc-mips64?
>> What do you recommend? Thanks.
>>

> gcc-mips64, is exclusively for compilling a 64-bit kernel from an o32
> userland. It's a C only compiller, and does not come with any sort of
> libc implementation; so cross-compilling most apps with it will be
> impossible.

s/most/any/

Also, I'm curious who the hell told you that you should try to compile
userland apps with gcc-mips64. They are smoking the funky
crack...possibly rainbow or neon colored. In any case, portage won't
even try to use gcc-mips64 unless you do something really dumb to your
make.conf, in which case everything that you attempt to build will die
pretty much right away.

-Steve

lists at seznam

Re: O2: gcc-mips or/and gcc-mips64 [In reply to]

That was me. I deducted if kernel can be compiled with gcc-mips64 some apps or all of them can be compiled with it as well. I am new here and there is not much about gcc-mips64 in mailing list written. Therefore the question.
I am sorry I have make you angry .-)

Petr