Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: MIPS
A big thanks to Matt Turner for his hard work on Gentoo/MIPS

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

kumba at gentoo

Sep 11, 2011, 7:09 PM

A big thanks to Matt Turner for his hard work on Gentoo/MIPS

Hey all,

I just want to take a minute to thank Matt Turner (mattst88) for all his
hard work and leadership in keeping Gentoo/MIPS alive within the project.

It has been a long, tough road for the MIPS port of Gentoo. Our hardware is
quirky, extremely diversified, sometimes archaic, and not the easiest in the
world to understand. With my time having been limited over the past two or
so years, we had regressed a fair bit, and the MIPS port as a whole has
largely been leaderless. Thus we became a thorn in the side of many a
developer, many of whom I sure asked the question, "Why are we still
supporting this oddball architecture?".

Matt has stepped up to the plate and gotten things fixed up and working
again, a task that I honestly felt was becoming more and more of a long-shot
with each passing week. We have new stages -- in all ABIs and two (or three
now?) ISAs, proper multilib support, our bug count is actually going down,
and possibly new install media on the way. None, I repeat, none of this
would have been possible without Matt's leadership and drive to make the
MIPS port relevant once more.

So please join me in thanking Matt for his hard work, time, and leadership
in making Gentoo/MIPS a viable element of the Gentoo project one again!

Thanks Matt!

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic
Attachments: signature.asc (0.81 KB)

Subject User Time
A big thanks to Matt Turner for his hard work on Gentoo/MIPS kumba at gentoo Sep 11, 2011, 7:09 PM
    Re: A big thanks to Matt Turner for his hard work on Gentoo/MIPS jscottkasten at yahoo Sep 12, 2011, 6:35 AM