Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: MIPS

MIPS32 Little-Endian softfloat packages, anyone interested?

 

 

Gentoo mips RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


mano at roarinelk

Apr 20, 2009, 11:01 AM

Post #1 of 3 (3453 views)
Permalink
MIPS32 Little-Endian softfloat packages, anyone interested?

Hello!

For the last 3 years I've been "maintaining" a modest collection of
packages for generic little-endian MIPS32 softfloat systems (mainly for my
Alchemy hardware). It includes a lot of stuff which is currently use-masked
on MIPS (qt4, scanner support, etc; almost all run-tested on real hardware).

Is there interest in the Gentoo(-MIPS) community for these packages?
A list of packages can be found at [1] as well as the custom portage profile
which was used to build them at [2].

The package tarball is ~1.1GB in size; 90% of the packages have been built with
gcc-4.3.3. Mainly generic stuff I needed to do my work plus a few
just-for-fun things like KDE-4.2.2 (yes it runs, but at a glacial pace).

Thanks!
Manuel Lauss

[1] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf/mips32elsf-packages-090420.tar.CONTENTS
[2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf/mips32elsf-etc-portage.tar.bz2


kumba at gentoo

Apr 20, 2009, 5:36 PM

Post #2 of 3 (3239 views)
Permalink
Re: MIPS32 Little-Endian softfloat packages, anyone interested? [In reply to]

Manuel Lauss wrote:
> Hello!
>
> For the last 3 years I've been "maintaining" a modest collection of
> packages for generic little-endian MIPS32 softfloat systems (mainly for my
> Alchemy hardware). It includes a lot of stuff which is currently use-masked
> on MIPS (qt4, scanner support, etc; almost all run-tested on real hardware).
>
> Is there interest in the Gentoo(-MIPS) community for these packages?
> A list of packages can be found at [1] as well as the custom portage profile
> which was used to build them at [2].
>
> The package tarball is ~1.1GB in size; 90% of the packages have been built with
> gcc-4.3.3. Mainly generic stuff I needed to do my work plus a few
> just-for-fun things like KDE-4.2.2 (yes it runs, but at a glacial pace).
>
> Thanks!
> Manuel Lauss
>
> [1] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf/mips32elsf-packages-090420.tar.CONTENTS
> [2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf/mips32elsf-etc-portage.tar.bz2

This is pretty neat. Although, our focus is more on the bigger MIPS
workstation, like the SGI stuff and even some of the Longsoon machines. We
actually have a separate team that focuses more on the embedded machines,
including embedded ARM, MIPS, and other related equipment.

I'd post this to the gentoo-embedded list, and you might find a few people over
there interested. Some of the methods you used for building these packages,
including any toolchain changes, eclass/ebuild changes, might be useful to them
over there.


Thanks!

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS
kumba [at] gentoo

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our
lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic


mano at roarinelk

Apr 20, 2009, 10:28 PM

Post #3 of 3 (3243 views)
Permalink
Re: MIPS32 Little-Endian softfloat packages, anyone interested? [In reply to]

Hi Joshua,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:36:16PM -0400, Kumba wrote:
> Manuel Lauss wrote:
>> Hello!
>> For the last 3 years I've been "maintaining" a modest collection of
>> packages for generic little-endian MIPS32 softfloat systems (mainly for my
>> Alchemy hardware). It includes a lot of stuff which is currently
>> use-masked
>> on MIPS (qt4, scanner support, etc; almost all run-tested on real
>> hardware).
>> Is there interest in the Gentoo(-MIPS) community for these packages?
>> A list of packages can be found at [1] as well as the custom portage
>> profile
>> which was used to build them at [2].
>> The package tarball is ~1.1GB in size; 90% of the packages have been built
>> with
>> gcc-4.3.3. Mainly generic stuff I needed to do my work plus a few
>> just-for-fun things like KDE-4.2.2 (yes it runs, but at a glacial pace).
>> Thanks!
>> Manuel Lauss
>> [1]
>> http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf/mips32elsf-packages-090420.tar.CONTENTS
>> [2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf/mips32elsf-etc-portage.tar.bz2
>
> This is pretty neat. Although, our focus is more on the bigger MIPS
> workstation, like the SGI stuff and even some of the Longsoon machines. We
> actually have a separate team that focuses more on the embedded machines,
> including embedded ARM, MIPS, and other related equipment.

Although Alchemys are lacking a FPU and a decent GFX accelerator, I think
performance-wise they're not that slower than SGI boxes.


> I'd post this to the gentoo-embedded list, and you might find a few people
> over there interested. Some of the methods you used for building these
> packages, including any toolchain changes, eclass/ebuild changes, might be
> useful to them over there.

I actually didn't change any ebuilds, it's as "vanilla" as the Gentoo
installations on my x64 machines (all packages have been built natively).

I'll contact the embedded folks!

Thanks!
Manuel Lauss

Gentoo mips RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.