Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: MIPS

how to mount gentoo live CD?

Gentoo mips RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sbertoletto at gmail

how to mount gentoo live CD?

hi,

We are a group composed of four students in engineer school and we work on a
project which is to design a cluster with SGI machines. We would like to
install Gentoo on our machines (SGI Octane 2 MIPS) but we have many
problems. Indeed, we need to modify the image disk of the live CD in order
to insert some software like GCC, Mpich (because when we try to install
Gentoo on the computer we have no x64 compiler on the live-cd and the
installation by portage fail so it is impossible to compile the kernel)...
We would like you help to understand how to mount the live cd image, it does
not seems to be a standart format. Could you help us to do that ? If you are
interesting to have the new live-cd we will create we will find a way to
transmit it to you.

Yours sincerly,

johnathonschade at gmail

Re: how to mount gentoo live CD? [In reply to]

It's been awhile since I played with gentoo-mips; however, the issue you are
running into has to do with the fact that the Gentoo-Mips livecd is not, in
fact, a true cd image. It is a HD image based on the Mips disc-layout
scheme. This is mentioned in the readme included with the image(iirc, it
also mentioned the build method for making the image, though not in any
detail), which I believe was worked out by kumba or redhatter (not sure
which one atm). If you really need help I suggest the #gentoo-mips channel
on FreeNode. Someone in there will have had experience with your Octane2
machine; Me, I'm an O2 man meself... :)